furry arts discussion > artwork techniques & tutorials

Backround

(1/2) > >>

D6016:
I ddep halp with BG's  I I've tried to use referances  and the like. I did an art-course last year in HS and that hellped to and extent, I know about Vantage point and such.
Any help would be apericated muchly

:
I need help with backgrounds.  Any help would be apericated muchly.  What sort of help are you looking for?  You mentioned that you understand vantage point.  Are you looking for tips on perspective, lighting, fitting characters to backgrounds and vice versa, or something else?

In addition to whatever other tips you might find here, similar discussions that have appeared on Yerf and VCL may provide information useful to you.

D6016:
Its more aless trying to fit that cahrs in, and drwing secnery. I;ve done art classes, and I was given all the info i need on vangent points, perspective is another issue, but thats more aless on my characters themselves... I'm working on that.
I did check the yerf forms, but i found they didn't help much (my opinion on yerf has changed leatly, I find that its less about teh artists intent and more about what some else thinks, ignoring to see if the orignal intent and purpose is there) yerf still good page tho...

course thats just my opinion ~.~

Lightning isnt a problem either... I seem to have a hold on that (i've done a few pic, but they art furry so I never botherd to post em...)

:
It's more or less trying to fit that chars in, and drawing scenery.  In that case, I am going to give you two of the most obvious and on-the-surface useless suggestions anyone can make:  practice and observe.

You mentioned taking art classes, so you know that a great deal of time must be spent practicing your art.  Practicing and challenging yourself (by trying things you are not used to doing, be they techniques, different media, or different subjects) strengthens you as an artist in anything you try.

To draw something (a character, a landscape, a scene) effectively, you have to know what it looks like.  If it is a real scene, study that scene, observing how it fits together, what catches your attention, what seems to be a strong detail and what seems to fade into oblivion.  If it is a fantasy scene, study things and places off which it is based.  For example, if you want to depict a dragon attacking a castle, you need to know something about castles and something about dragons.  You can find castles in the real world... particularly in photographs from travel guides, books on royalty, history, or architecture, or calendars that feature castles.  As for dragons, they tend to be based on other animals (like lizards, fish, horses, and birds), so study these and try to determine how their various traits work together in a dragon, and how a dragon would be constructed.

Then try to assemble the two, with other thoughts as well.  Where is the castle situated, and how?  How is the dragon approaching the castle?  How big is he compared to the castle?

Also under observation, observe the way people act in various settings.  Think about what your character is doing when you draw him or her.  The character prancing happily with big, open gestures is more likely to be outside in a big, open field than he is in a dark and narrow hallway.  The character in an elegant evening gown is probably in a fancy social gathering set in a grand hotel, expensive restaurant, or large and stately house than she is wandering a quiet road.

Also, look at people and animals in comparison to their surroundings.  How tall are you compared to a sofa when you are standing.  How tall are you when you are sitting in it? Catalogues for clothing, home furnishings, and such can actually be nice references.  While artificial, they still do often try to depict a believable scene, and the models will not complain of needing to move after four minutes of scrutiny.  

Another reference, and one I mention with a caution, is other artists' work.  Study how an artist -- particularly one who uses the same medium (or media) that you use -- depicted something you want to try or have difficulty managing.  Try to figure out what the artist did that worked so well and adapt to your own work.  If you have a way of contacting the artist and feel comfortable doing so, you might even ask the artist.  (Most artists in the furry fandom are much friendlier and more approachable than people give them credit for, and like helping budding artists who have valid questions for them.)  The caution is that studying other artists' depictions of things -- be they characters, scenery, or what have you -- does not replace studying the things themselves.

Again, practicing setting characters into settings and observing the ways characters interact with their settings are the best ways to improve at putting characters into backgrounds.

Kada-Ru:
Very well put, Schopfer! I like your advice and will use it myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version