Author Topic: Gimp  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
Gimp
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
For anybody who uses glimpse do you use a computer sketch pad or do you use I mouse. I only have a mouse and need to know if that is something good to use.

Offline Mylo

Re: Gimp
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »
It really all depends on your preference. But from the majority of people I've talked to (if not all, myself included), a graphics tablet is much better, simply because it is intuitive.

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »
I used to use that program. No offense to anyone, but I dont like it that much. I have Photoshop now and I find it much better, but really expensive, so Gimp is good for a free program. I am getting a graphics tablet next weekend. Right now I use a mouse. I hate the mouse because you really cant get the right drawing out of it. It isnt bad for coloring and shading, but actually drawing, I stick to paper and then scan it for now. I assume a tablet would be better because it allows the artist to move their hands in a more natural way than the mouse can possibly do. This will ultimately give you better pictures. I can tell you more once I learn to properly use my tablet, but I am willing to bet that the tablet is better than a mouse for drawing.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:29:04 pm »
Gimp often introduces new features that Adobe copies for Photoshop later.  For example,  content aware scaling.

Gimp is definitely different from Photoshop,  but that's definitely not to say it's inferior in all areas.  My preference is with Photoshop for raster graphics.  Illustrator for vector.

Edit:  Oh.... And i use a graphics tablet.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:33:22 pm by Alsek »

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:01 pm »
I use the small plain Bamboo wacom drawing pad.  I have
seen art done using a mouse, but I would advise getting a
pad which start around $60.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:22:32 pm »
You can get away with using a mouse, but you’ll need to stick to a shading / sketching method if you want things to look nice.
One thing to try is to use a very low opacity setting in the paint tool options panel for the brush you‘re using, and then draw using a repetitive motion (shading / sketching movement) to color an area.
It’s not impossible to draw an entire picture using only shading techniques, and it can come out looking pretty decent, you will just have to manage drawing without any outlines.

Though all of that aside, if you are looking to further your drawing abilities on a computer, and be able to draw fine details cleanly, then having a tablet is almost a requirement…

FYI, I Use an Adesso CyberTablet 12000 and it works very well for me, (although it does lack a tilt control).
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:41:23 pm »
I use a mouse for all my stuff right now. I have a Wacom Bamboo Create Tablet, but it is awaiting me in Vegas, so I have yet to even see it. Hopefully I can get down there this coming weekend. For now, I just draw stuff on paper, then ink it and scan it into photoshop. It sort of sucks coloring with a mouse, but it isnt impossible. I know I can do better, though. Hopefully my tablet will help because it will be more natural with my motions than a mouse can be. The Wacom Bamboo Create is only 100 bucks, and i got it for my B-day, so it was free for me. I have yet to use it, but I can tell you what it is like here once I do if you want.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Alsek

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:18 am »
With the right tricks,  coloring with a mouse can be pretty easy,  and you can ink just fine in Photoshop with the pen tool.  :3

One thing to note,  your sketches with paper will always be better than your sketches with a tablet.  Tablets are great tools for inking and especially shading,  but you don't need them to get good results.

My friend drew this with paper and pencil,  and inked,  colored,  and shaded it with a mouse: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1858424/img029-3.jpg
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:51:38 am by Alsek »

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
The dog on the left is he a medic. I saw a similar character of the same style on a different site.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:51 am »
The dog on the left is he a medic. I saw a similar character of the same style on a different site.

That is Alsek. ;)

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
Gimp 2.8.0 came out recently, just a 'fyi'.

Also, I use a tablet (in addition to pencil + paper), and while it doesn't magically make you a better artist, it simply provides a better tool than a mouse or touchpad (which are highly un-ergonomic). Once you are used to it, you should be able to sketch just as well with a tablet as you can with a pencil and paper.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Alsek

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »
Also, I use a tablet (in addition to pencil + paper), and while it doesn't magically make you a better artist, it simply provides a better tool than a mouse or touchpad (which are highly un-ergonomic). Once you are used to it, you should be able to sketch just as well with a tablet as you can with a pencil and paper.

I also use a tablet.  Have for years.  I've spoken with a few others i really respect and find i'm not the only one who thinks they're difficult to sketch on compared to physical media.  Could be different for each person though.  ^^