Author Topic: The "Good News" thread.  (Read 133128 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: The "Good News" thread.
« Reply #2200 on: December 14, 2021, 05:32:35 pm »
On the bad news thread I talked about the best art forum on line going under because of new owners. They wanted to turn the place into a paid membership site with nothing but how to videos. You know, the same stuff you can find on Youtube for free. What was even lower they were going to keep the years of technical know how and instructions giving by well known artists as a searchable database. They've, for now, changed their minds. AND they upgraded the search feature. Making it way easier to actually find archived information. Even if they went to a small monthly fee I'd still be there and still recommend it to any and every artist. Just for the wealth of information and the very people who will answer your questions.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #2201 on: December 21, 2021, 07:43:53 pm »
I have a new oc! He's fnaf themed(Glamrock Freddy)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2202 on: December 25, 2021, 09:24:06 pm »
Christmas gifts from my mom will be delayed till later in January, but she did promise to get me some gift cards to Walmart and Amazon.
Also, got a gift certificate from a friend toward my local hobby store for $50. Sweet! :)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #2203 on: December 25, 2021, 09:28:54 pm »
I received gifts of $50 cash, $25 Arby's card, and won about $14 on various instant lottery tickets.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #2204 on: December 26, 2021, 11:31:57 am »
My dad apparently remembered my saying my trusty 15 year old multi meter died.  So he got me one! Totally unexpected!
My mom gave me a slightly used microwave oven which I needed badly!

I... never got them anything.   :(.  They said, "no gifts".
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2205 on: January 08, 2022, 10:55:15 am »
Long story short, I hope.
Had to have oral surgery to remove two fangs.......er, I mean, teeth, right before Thanksgiving last year.
In the days before the surgery, I was given a rough quote that the total cost would be approx. $1,800.  :o
Out of that $1,800, at least $835 would have to be paid up front on the day of the surgery........which I did.
Just got the bill in the mail yesterday with a balance of what is left that I owe.
Surprisingly, the final amount I owe after insurance covers (or not covers) anything came to.........$27.46   :o

To say I'm surprised is an understatement. I thought I would owe a heck of a lot more.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #2206 on: January 12, 2022, 08:41:01 pm »
Just learned a Comic Con is coming to a local mall in early March--and it's furry friendly!
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Firelight

• Female
« Reply #2207 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:50 pm »
Hung out with my friends and celebrated a Birthday.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2208 on: January 22, 2022, 12:40:34 pm »
Got my Amazon package today with my order of Beastars manga # 16, and some modeling supplies..........barely.
When I looked at the package, half of the address label was missing/ripped off.  :o
Thankfully, the postal carrier has one of those electronic scanners that scans bar codes and QR codes to determine exactly where a package is supposed to go. :)
So.........thankfully I still got my package today.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #2209 on: January 28, 2022, 02:19:28 pm »
Mackinaw City Days Parade folks want my CAP unit to return this year in a big way. They sent out two separate invitations so far. The parade was canceled two years consecutively due to Covid.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2210 on: January 31, 2022, 02:18:07 am »
Was able to purchase a Princess pony for my G1 MLP collection! I got Princess Tiffany, the clumsy overly emotional princess (that's so me haha sob).
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Firelight

• Female
« Reply #2211 on: January 31, 2022, 02:29:29 am »
I was able to but a werepup doll despite the fates, gods and paypal trying to stop me!

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #2212 on: January 31, 2022, 09:23:03 am »
My good news is, I put up bright lights in the room where I do my electronics hobby. 
Now I can see small things clearly.  This place was always dark, the light always from your back. 
No matter where you moved, there was a shadow cast on what you were working on. 

Why do we place lights on the dead center of a room, and the items on the periphery?  There will ALWAYS be a shadow!

I put lights on the upper wall seams, and I can see... everywhere...
There are about 10,000 lumens of light in here, spread out across the room.  It is like being in a sunny room!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #2213 on: February 16, 2022, 07:28:55 pm »
I was able to get the $50 parade entry fee waived for my CAP host unit. The local St Patrick's Day Parade had been shut down for the past two years.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #2214 on: February 26, 2022, 02:19:01 pm »
so is anyone else exited about getting bills besides me? :) Finally got results. Huge screw up on the hospital's side. Now I have to wait till they all start showing up.  Other good news is I already have something i can use as a muller. A glass horse figurine on a flat base. Had this displayed on a book case in the living room for years.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2215 on: February 26, 2022, 02:37:17 pm »
so is anyone else exited about getting bills besides me? :)

Excited? I think not. Just got a hospital bill in the mail today for $90. That might not seem like much. But even small bills can still be a headache in this inflation economy.  x_x

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #2216 on: February 26, 2022, 04:33:42 pm »

Excited? I think not. Just got a hospital bill in the mail today for $90. That might not seem like much. But even small bills can still be a headache in this inflation economy.  x_x

All bills suck. The fight for the right to pay my bills before they go to a collection agency has been a six month battle. Looking forward to putting this behind me.

More good news!!!! I've got a almost pure color match! I have finally 98% matched the original Naples Yellow. All it took was buying more paint. Why not just buy Naples yellow? It's like painting with arsenic. If it doesn't kill you it will give you cancer. Anyway. Just in case someone is interested.
Equal parts of
PBr24 Chrome Antimony Titamate
PY53 Nickel Titanium Yellow
1/4 to the volume of above mixture.
PY53 Buff Titanium ( The same pigment can have different color values. The above PY53 is yellow where this pigment is more of the color of dried grass.)
1/8 <
PR101 Transparent Iron Oxide
Chrome Antimony Titamate was the key to getting a really close match without using Mars Black.

As I stated in a previous post. Getting a match to this color without using white is important to me. Everyone who sells a hue of Naples Yellow using Titanium white in their mixes. In oil painting you should never mix a white in anything you want to keep dark. ( I know that sounded weird. In a nutshell any white pigment will turn a shadow milky. Loosing the depth of that shadow.) Naples Yellow is great for adding different values to shadows. Because I'm more interested in learning the painting techniques before the late 1800's getting this color will help get the look of these old paintings.

More good news! My empty tubes for making oil paint came in today. Having found something i can use as a muller I can now start making my own layering paint. Be mixing powdered marble with refined walnut oil. Like they did in the 1700's. This is to replace the tube I bought. The manufacturer used safflower oil. It takes around 50 days for that oil to dry. Unless you want to wait almost an entire year to finish a painting safflower and sunflower oils should be avoided at all costs.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2217 on: February 26, 2022, 04:54:00 pm »
Cause, you should try painting model kits. Getting a good/exact color match to certain camouflage, etc. isn't easy. And I've seen many "debates" that have gone into flame wars.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #2218 on: February 26, 2022, 08:13:32 pm »
Kobuk here's a great vid on matching colors with paint. He also has a few more vids on mixing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYcG4Km1-k

This is another pro painter with a slightly different angle on color mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdB-kU964lU

Both of these artists have more than one vid on color mixing and matching.

A bit of practice and your models will leap out far and beyond anyone else's.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #2219 on: February 27, 2022, 12:20:07 pm »
Finally got my leaky transmission lines replaced.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #2220 on: March 04, 2022, 02:44:31 pm »
Had an MRI done yesterday. First good news is I was out of there three hours earlier than I thought I'd be. Second good news is the reason I was in isn't as bad as was originally thought and there is nothing else wrong! A simple follow up and hopefully be done with this.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #2221 on: March 06, 2022, 12:02:46 pm »
Discovered that my tax refunds arrived. I also paid off my car loan.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #2222 on: March 07, 2022, 11:03:43 am »
I finally put the finishing touches on 2 little hobby projects that I have been putting off for over 2 years now.
I am talking about labels, and LEDs.  Nothing major, nothing that makes a functional difference.  Just something I wanted to do .
(Name that tune!)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #2223 on: March 10, 2022, 10:50:35 am »
Got my state tax refund. 
Waiting on Federal tax refund which is of course more than the state refund.
I am glad I get SOMETHING back.
Could be worse.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2224 on: March 18, 2022, 10:18:54 pm »
Finally got my tax refund. :)