Author Topic: MLP clothing and decorations/furnishings.  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
MLP clothing and decorations/furnishings.
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:02 pm »
Didn't expect this topic from me, did ya?  :D

Anyway, Discuss anything MLP clothing and/or decoration/furnishing related such as tshirts, shoes, tails, Where to buy items, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:19:42 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: MLP clothing and decorations/furnishings.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:37 pm »
Didn't expect this topic from me, did ya?  :D

You're already posting new topics here, its just a matter of time till you join the herd and live in peace and friendship with all us bronyfolk.  :orhorse:

I've heard that Hot Topic was selling some MLP merch, but I think after the hullaballo over the megasweet images incident their lawyers have said merch tied up in limbo. I don't really know any details though so I'm just guessing.

The idea of a pony tail is interesting. Would I be willing to rock an Applejack tail in public? Ribbon and all? Hmmmm....
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:11 pm »
From what I'd been hearing for a while now is the Hot Topic issue has come to a nice resolution. Long story short:

Megasweet image "stolen" and given to Hot Topic by thief.
Hot Topic sells shirts
Megasweet says "Um... that's my artwork"
Hot Topic says "Our bad. Here, have some money and we'd like to license more of your designs and possibly commission others"

I do know the shirts are still available online, but availability in the stores seems to be hit and miss.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I would like to say I got my Vinyl Scratch shirt today from https://www.welovefine.com/ and I must say my first impression is not that good. It LOOKS nice, but that's about it so far. As I mentioned in one of the other threads, there was a question about sizing and I decided to go one size larger than normal to allow for shrinkage in the wash. I got it today and it looks nice, but the fabric felt very thin and light weight. Kinda makes me wonder how well the image will hold up on it. It fit well in the areas I measured for ordering, but the sleeve hole diameter feels tight. Almost like you'd see some muscle shirts. Not only is that uncomfortable, but I could see it easily ripping a seam when trying to pull it off. I have a feeling I'd have to order the XXL at least for the sleaves to fit right, but then I'd be swimming in it.

It's currently in the wash to see how it fits after the shrinkage, but I don't have very high hopes because of the sleeve issue and that the shirt just feels "weak" for someone that would wear it as an every day shirt. I'll update this again after it's dry and I try it again. Speaking of which, I am washing according to the tag instructions for the first go around and I noticed 2 things. One, they mis-spelled "DRY" as "DYE". Unless I'm supposed to somehow dye it on low temperature. :P I also noticed it is labeled made in China. While that alone isn't enough to turn me off of a purchase, it does affect my buying decisions when I'm paying nearly US$30 after shipping for a low quality and poor fitting shirt. By comparison, one of my favorite brands of shirt (The Mountain) makes extremely nice animal print t-shirts that are made in the U.S. for only $20. Not sure if they still have the design available, but they used a couple of Golden Wolf's designs, and can come in a nifty t-shirt shaped cardboard box. My only hope is they are paying a hefty royalty to the artists for how much they are charging for their shirts.

Hate to be a downer on this, but it needed to be said I think. And now I'm really considering sending it back, picking out a Vinyl Scratch image and getting the artist's permission to take it to a t-shirt shop and have my own made on a higher quality shirt.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm gonna just try  to send it back for a refund. Allie said it feels like the material they use to make female baby doll tees with. The body of the shirt still fit well after washing, but the arm holes are just going to be too tight for an every day shirt. My arms aren't overly large, just the sleeves are that small. Short too. Raising my arms, the bottom of the sleeve would pull back to my body.

Final judgement (for men anyway): I threw money at them, now I want it back.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:03:07 pm by Narei Mooncatt »
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »
On another note, I would like to say I got my Vinyl Scratch shirt today from https://www.welovefine.com/ and I must say my first impression is not that good. It LOOKS nice, but that's about it so far.

Thank you for the heads-up on that.  I was actually going to submit some designs to them, but hearing that makes me a bit wary.  Anyone else order a shirt from them and care to give their opinion?  I'd really like to hear if it's worth going through the trouble of a design place like that, or should I just go to a local shirt shop to get my own printed up.
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
I was listening to old episoeds of the podcast of Bronyville and Apple Cider mentioned his Celestia shirt and brought up a lot of the same issues Narei did, being the shirt feels really cheap and thin and the image on it seems cheaply put on as well.

If I were you Sheeta I'd just go to a custom T-Shirt shop with a shirt you like and have them put the image on. Thats what I intend to do.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:15 am »
I have those buttons of the cutie marks I made ;).

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:23:50 am »
I was listening to old episoeds of the podcast of Bronyville and Apple Cider mentioned his Celestia shirt and brought up a lot of the same issues Narei did, being the shirt feels really cheap and thin and the image on it seems cheaply put on as well.
You remember which episode it was (and perhaps how far in)? I don't remember A.C. mentioning that.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:37:16 am »
You remember which episode it was (and perhaps how far in)? I don't remember A.C. mentioning that.
It was one of the early ones. 2 through 5 i want to say but no i don't remember how far in. I'll re listen and PM you a episode number and timestamp.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart