Author Topic: New GPU Recommendations  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
New GPU Recommendations
« on: March 28, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »
These are some of the key parts that I'm currently using:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB Video Card

Case: Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case

For the past year or so now my graphics card has caused my PC to blue screen on occasion when playing a game, or more commonly just fail and then recover. More recently the fan built into it has become I guess I would say unbalanced which will cause a very loud and annoying sound to occur every now and then of which I have tried to fix but to no avail.

The new graphics card that caught my eye was a

Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card

As far as I can tell according to pcpartpicker at least this card should work fine with my current set up. I have read many reviews on this one, but I don't have much experience with many different GPUs.

My main question is would anyone else recommend this card or would you recommend another?

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
Re: New GPU Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:20 am »
YAY computer parts! :D

Well, if this is your motherboard, and with the info you supplied me I think it is, I don't think the graphics card you selected is compatible.

If this is the graphics card you are looking for, then it requires a PCI Express 3.0, but your motherboard doesn't have any of those slots.

This means you have to either: get a whole new motherboard to support a 3.0 slot, or get a different card that only uses a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot.

I believe this is your current card. Or at least very similar to it. Your current card is outdated enough that it's now hard to find. (:
Here's one that will work. It's twice the memory (2GB), 5 times as many stream processors (parallel processing power, so it runs faster). It only has 1 monitor output, if that's a concern.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:46 am »
If this is the graphics card you are looking for, then it requires a PCI Express 3.0, but your motherboard doesn't have any of those slots.

This is false. It supports PCIE 3.0, but doesn't require it. Cards that support PCIE 3.0 can be used in a 2.0 slot, which that motherboard has. Difference in performance wouldn't be noticeable in practical applications (you might see it benchmark a little lower in a 2.0 vs. a 3.0 slot).

My current setup has a card that supports PCIE 3.0 (GTX 970), on a motherboard with just 2.0 slots, and it's perfectly fine. Actually, motherboards with PCIE 3.0 slots are still a bit of a rarity right now. I would venture to guess that most people with the newer cards that support 3.0 are using them in 2.0 slots.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 12:26:39 pm »
This is false. It supports PCIE 3.0, but doesn't require it. Cards that support PCIE 3.0 can be used in a 2.0 slot, which that motherboard has. Difference in performance wouldn't be noticeable in practical applications (you might see it benchmark a little lower in a 2.0 vs. a 3.0 slot).
This is absolutely fascinating! I had no idea! I should read up about what the specifications for these expansion slots really mean. Absolutely good stuff to know.
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 12:51:06 pm »
This is absolutely fascinating! I had no idea! I should read up about what the specifications for these expansion slots really mean. Absolutely good stuff to know.

Many connection standards in computers work this way. Newer hardware is often backwards-compatible with the older generations of their connection, where the tradeoff will be a slight limit i performance. You can still use USB 3.0 capable devices in a USB 2.0 port, but won't get max transfer speeds. You can connect a SATA III SSD into a SATA II port on the motherboard, but you'll get about half the advertised maximum read/write speeds on the SSD.

Works the same with PCIE 3.0, except that I don't think the power of most video cards is exceeding the capability of the PCIE 2.0 to enough of an extent to notice that you're not really getting the maximum performance from it. I would bet that the next generation of graphics cards might improve enough to where you'd really want a 3.0 slot to be getting the most out of the card. And by then, maybe PCIE 3.0 support will be far more common on motherboards as well.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »
Never knew that much about the PCIE, was just trusting pcpartpicker, but at least now I understand a bit more.

Probably should have added this before, I'm willing to spend around $150 to $200 for the new GPU and it needs to have at least 2 DVI ports.