Author Topic: Being in the fandom a long time.  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
Being in the fandom a long time.
« on: September 22, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »
I am splitting this  off  the here and now  topic but  I find it  some times sad to watch people come and go while being in the fandom for nine  and approaching 10 years.  I wonder how many old-timers   feel the same.

For  me I Know  Kubuk and Old Rabbit but some time wonder what happen to Far raptor, Bacon coyote , Neo pantiger  and others I know when I became a furry in 2006. I know this going to be a issue as I see it, I am not going to leave the fandom  10 20 or even 40  years  from now. 

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Being in the fandom a long time.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »
I like to think of myself as "semi-retired" from the furry fandom. Not quite fully retired yet. I got into the fandom in late 2003. Been in the furry fandom for almost 16 years now.

I'll be leaving soon. Not sure when, but I know it'll be in the next year or so. For me, it has nothing to do with the adult stuff in the fandom which is making me leave, but rather more "personal" reasons which I do not care to go into right now.

I've seen a lot in this fandom. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It's a fairly nice fandom and I'll miss it a lot when I'm gone.  :( But as Kada-Ru always used to say, "Real life comes first.".  We all get older and there are more pressing life issues which tend to take us away from our hobbies from time to time.

There's a lot of people I met here that I wish I could get to know again and so forth. People like: Patrick Rangerwolf, Ulario, Kattywampus, Mazz, Sporty Fox, and so many others. Whatever happened to them? I don't know. Best guess would be is that as the Internet grows, people will find newer and better ways to connect to each other, share ideas, and so forth. People don't stay on forums forever. Furtopia might be the "home" where people once got started, but sometimes, people need to "spread their wings" so to speak and find new places to go to and meet others who share their interests.

As for some of the names you mentioned, Acton, from what I've heard, Far Raptor is married and still works in oceanography I think. Baconcoyote.......well, he still fursuits and goes to cons. Other than that, no comment.  :P

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »
People come, people go. It's very hard to keep friends for life. Majority of people don't manage it.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Sadiki

• Species: lion!
    • FA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:02:57 am »
I've been in the fandom since 2005, when I was just 10 years old. I'm 21 now, so interesting to think that half my life has been 'furry,' haha. because I was just a lil kid when I first got into it, I guess my experience is a bit different than that of other long-time participants. with few peers of similar age in the fandom, I didn't really have any friends, so I don't have lost friendships to mourn. but I do clearly remember all the very active furries I followed online from that time period, and occasionally wonder what happened to those who have essentially disappeared.

I do recognize all the names you mentioned, Acton. I was surprised and very happy to see Neo PanTyger was around at Rainfurrest 2015. he even performed in the dance competition. I absolutely loved his fursuit back when he was a really active and popular member of the fandom, so seeing him IRL brought me back to the old days of being super young, on the internet, admiring all these fursuiters and wishing I could go to cons.

even though all the people I've seen come and go haven't been personal friends, it still does make me a little sad to think about those who have moved on. most every member of this community brings something really special and interesting to the table, and it's unfortunate to lose that - especially talented artists and performers.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 08:21:53 am »
im very new to the fandom compared to the rest of you (or at least i think so)

i created a account on this site on june 7th 2013 so iv only been here for maybe about 3 1/4 years. i have likely actually considered my self a furry for about 4 years. (though i have only been an active member since i joined here)

now as for my future, i feel that i might remain "active" in the fandom for a very long time. when i say active i mostly mean maybe some art time to time, random other furry related stuff, and if conventions are still around a few years in the future i may attend some of them. its the style of anthros that i like, so that is likely going to last a long time.

i might have some other stuff in my life in the future (or at least hopefully i do) and might even kinda drift away from the fandom but it is kinda something that is burned into my life. one example is my partner calls me gray, or calls me a fox (both likely due to my fursona) so thats one thing that might end up lasting a life time (and hopefully it does).

as for furtopia... i might end up staying for awhile (hopefully i might actually have something in the future to post about, besides my constant talk about school/depression) might not be too active, but i will likely make a few posts once in awhile until the closing of the site.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:30:13 pm »
>Loc "People come, people go. It's very hard to keep friends for life. Majority of people don't manage it."

This is true for  me since I was an Army Brat moving every three years, I lean to adapt and make new friends. Still I have one or two long tome friends, we often share post on Facebook.

" Kada-Ru always used to say, "Real life comes first.".  We all get older and there are more pressing life issues which tend to take us away from our hobbies from time to time. "

i have to disagree, this is true for some  but for some of us  fandom IS real life. The many who left the fandom and there are still older  SF fans who been active in the fandom since the 1950's, there  even people in fury fandom like Fred Patten.    I do not see furry fandom being any different for me.  I am 56 and thinking about life  as a reach retirement, I see my self more serving  an volunteering in the fandom  than now.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »
I have been active in the fandom since 1997, and since early 2005 on furtopia. I
have no plans to move on as long as I am able.

I wish some of our old members would stop by and comment about how they are
doing now and then. Unfortuantly people often forget old interests when they move
on.

Hopefully we will continue to grow in spite of loosing some long time members.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:02:46 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:08:36 pm »
I've been in the fandom off and on since the days of alt.lifestyle.furry on usenet in the late 90s. I may not always be around but that doesn't mean I'm not furry when I'm not taking part in the community. Furry is a state of mind. And it's one that's been with me long before I knew of the Furry community. I was collecting canine stuff, wearing canine related clothing and jewelry and identifying as a canine long before I knew there were others like me. And though I may not always take part in the community, my heart and soul will always be with it.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Mister Initial Man

• Species: Lynx/Bear
  • Male
    • The Lynx's Den
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:32 pm »
There are certain passings in the fandom that make me feel old--most notably the loss of several artists, but also many other things as well--Furnation Magazine, the original Furnation, the new Furnation, Furtopia as a webhost, SheezyArt, Yerf, GotFox, and many I can't mention here due to kitten's ears.

Offline Bluetabbycat

• Species: Generic tabby cat
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:34 pm »
Like others have said, even though I'm not particularly active on here or elswhere in the fandom, I will always be furry inside. I was into furry stuff long before I knew about the fandom, and I dare say I'll still be into it long after sites like this (not that I wish it gone by any means!) are digital dust.

Maybe it's just because I'm a massive geek, but when I become a fan of something it's because I really love it - it claims a part of my soul. And you don't just leave something like that behind you. Even though you may not outwardly express your devotion for a fandom, it will always claim a corner of your mind.

So no, I doubt I will ever 'retire' from being a furry.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »
I've been here as long as Kobuk has, and I've unfortunately seen a lot of great people come and go. Ulario, Mazz, and Patrick Rangerwolf also come to mind. I have a funny feeling that for most folks life pulls fairly hard after they get out of college, and they suddenly have a lot less time for furry art as careers, spouses and kids take up valuable time.

I have kept up with a few no longer active members. I emailed SportyFox a few weeks ago and he replied. Work has him busy, but he's not yet dead, just a manager and has very little time. Jonawolf maintains his stories on SoFurry, and has also found a mate and has pups(He told me nobody would ever want him... ha!  :D ). I found him when I was looking for a place to share my own writings. Siiwolf and I built a very close friendship after getting to know each other in the IRC here, and I still consider him my closest friend -we email often and he's active in the community, just not here.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:49:34 pm »
I have a funny feeling that for most folks life pulls fairly hard after they get out of college, and they suddenly have a lot less time for furry art as careers, spouses and kids take up valuable time.

Or as Kada-Ru always used to say: "Real life comes first."

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:31 am »
Many people get interested in the fandom as youngsters. Then as they move into adult life
they find time is a premium. I had feelings of being furry even as a child. But life requires
one to set their fantasies aside. Being stuck at home due to a handicap I have a lot of
time to follow various hobbies. Where most do not.

Also many people look down on the fandom feeling it's childish or a perversion of some
kind. This among other things pull people away. People get married get a job along with
other interests.

I do feel the fandom like many other hobbies have a lot to do with making friends. Some
can be life long depending on how close they are. But as with all things in life there are
changes, and we have to live with them.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »
Since joining the fandom over ten years ago, I've noticed that a number of furs try to attend a con every other week if possible. That's quite ambitious. I sometimes wish to do half that much, though budget and IRL commitments tend to dampen that desire significantly, but that can be a blessing. Why? Because it forces me to pace myself and prioritize. Many high-profile furs have to limit themselves to just a few cons each year. It was a rare privlege to have met some of these wonderful people when our paths crossed at the local con. Fursuiters whose performances were admired on YouTube.

If I were to go full-tilt and attend a con-a-month, then it might burn me out and interest may diminish significantly. That there are few furmeets here, if any, and I only make a con each year just makes me appreciate the fandom that much more. That--and the invitation to appear in parades and other (non-furry) events to show the positive aspects of the fandom while supporting worthy causes.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)