Author Topic: Quality media staring anthros that was made in the past few years?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline BennyJackdaw

Quality media staring anthros that was made in the past few years?
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:29:01 pm »
I think one thing I hate seeing in media is villains that are way more likeable than the heroes. If you have humans portrayed as the only creature capable of good and the villains as pretty much every other creature, including inoccuous things like kittens and bunnies, you've pretty much done this. There's almost nothing likeable about most modern-day heroes. Not only are they human, but they're usually very mediocre as far as story and personality goes. Yet the villains are usually badass, sometimes brimming with visual personality, and often times makes me root for the villains.

...Though for me to like a main character, it doesn't take much. Just not being human/elf/dwarf/human in general appearance is enough for me. The problem: it feels like we as a species have become somewhat obsessed with ourselves, so we often times portray ourselves as the absolute good. I'd love to see some modern media that breaks away from this by having an anthro or non-human hero, whether it be TV, movies or (best yet) videogames, I love hearing about new media staring non-humans.

I know of a lot of old media, I want to know of more recent media.

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
Re: Quality media staring anthros that was made in the past few years?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:19:13 pm »
But furries are human-like, so don't you think we fit under the "human in general" category?

I do think there are a lot of cliché hero archetypes(sp?) out there in the media, but I don't necessarily dislike the hero.

Some villians are awesome though, like Sephiroth,  Seifer, to name a few...

Have you played Dust: an Elysium tale?
Every now and then...

Offline BennyJackdaw

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
But furries are human-like, so don't you think we fit under the "human in general" category?

I do think there are a lot of cliché hero archetypes(sp?) out there in the media, but I don't necessarily dislike the hero.

Some villians are awesome though, like Sephiroth,  Seifer, to name a few...

Have you played Dust: an Elysium tale?

I'm mostly referring to human face/human skin and stuff. Like, stuff like Felicia and Morrigan from Darkstalkers I consider human, but not an actual anthropomorphic cat or bat, which may only be human in anatomy and not much else. I feel, at the very least, the head should have no human in it for me to accept it as a non-human.

No, but I'm kind of looking for 2015 and up type stuff.

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:16:38 pm »
Yeah, I've always hated the "elves dwarves and humans are always good and beast type beings are usually evil" thing myself as well. Humans tend to like to make themselves Mary Sue type characters in fiction. Humans are special and any creature that disagrees is automatically evil.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline BennyJackdaw

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:42:40 pm »
After the failure of Yooka Laylee and the success of Hat In Time, I'm under the impression that anthro videogames are officially dead. I feel like Yooka Laylee was a big chance at reviving the good ol' days of when there were more than just generic human characters as stars, but the game was met with a lukewarm reaction. I can't shake the feeling that Hat In Time was designed to insult that time, as well as furries begging for a comeback of anthro heroes in videogames: having a very generic human star (I'm sorry, but there's nothing creative about her. A generic girl with a generic top-hat and robe. Yippee) and, while a good chunk of the villains are human, another good chunk of them are anthro, and it doesn't even seem like the game has a single true anthro goodguy in it.

But worse, I feel that YL and HinT will effect how many anthro games we get in the future, which has me worried.