Author Topic: Is there life after death?  (Read 16527 times)

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
Is there life after death?
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »
It's hard for me to take a side on this one.  For myself I KNOW that ghost phenomena is real.  There are enough documented video/audio recordings in my opinion to prove it exists without a doubt.  But the debate is WHAT is a ghost?  Myself I am on the fence on wether it is the leftover conscious of whoever passed or perhaps a new life form that can pick up others emotions/thoughts?  What are others opinions?
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: Is there life after death?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:05:33 pm »
It's hard to really speak on this without voicing my personal beliefs.

I'll say this as a start: The laws of thermodynamics and physics teach us that all matter is made of energy and energy cannot be created or destroyed, mearly changed. Is there life after death? You must find out what life is in your own eyes first.
I know that there is existence beyond death, but existing and living are two different things.

In light of the scientific evidence I choose to believe that there is life after death, and since energy is always changing and moving from one form or another, I  also choose to believe in reincarnation.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:58:18 pm »
Personally, I think life after death exists.  I also believe in reincarnation, simply because it makes the most logical sense to me (and because it appeals a lot to me).

As for ghosts, I understand that some people see them.  I never have, mind you, but I'm prone to believe that they exist.  If reincarnation is real, there would be time between death and the spirit (or whatever you call it) to enter another body.  I think it's possible for this energy, this force, or this actual spirit (whatever it is) to hang around for a bit.  Again, I'm not sure of this, but that's what makes sense to me.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:09:02 am »
I lean more towards no, that once we pass, we just simply cease. I'm not religious, so I don't really believe in a soul that could remain as a conciousness after we pass on. If you think about it, our conciousness isn't anything more than a bunch of neural pathways firing off analogous to a computer's CPU. Once they stop firing, I think we're just.... blank. Is there a higher power? I think it's one of those things that can't ever be proven unless him/her/them appear in front of us and prove it beyond doubt. This could not only mean a god, but also space aliens (I think that it's a bit arrogant to think we're the only planet in the entire universe and space that has life still).
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:40 am »
No offense to WS, but I kinda wish this topic was never posted. I happen to be afraid of death and dying.  x_x There have been times in the past where I've had panic attacks and/or nightmares just "thinking" about such things.

*exits stage right out of this topic* -------->

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:31:24 am »
I kinda know what you're talking about, Kobuk. I sometimes think that I may have to ditch my rig off the side of a road and risk my life to save an innocent family in a car because of an accident happening around me. It's one of the things I was taught in CDL school, that you may be put in a place to have to take that kind of chance.

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:36:00 pm »
As a pretty rude country song once said "I'm not afraid of dying, its the thought of being dead..."

I can understand the fear of death.  Its a very natural human feeling.

I'm not really sure how I feel about life after death. I was brought up christian, and to belive in heaven and hell. I've since strayed away from those beleifs.

My personal feeling is that one should live their life as if this is the only chance they will get, and not spend their entire life "preparing" and betting on an afterlife that may not even exsist.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »
I think the way you answer this question will depend purely on your own religious/spiritual orientation. Personally, I don't believe in an afterlife, or a god, or ghosts, or really, in anything for which I have no evidence and no reason to believe. I'm more of an Occam's Razor kind of dude. :P

...I do sometimes envy those who believe in an afterlife, though. It must be nice to not fear death as much as I do.

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »

...I do sometimes envy those who believe in an afterlife, though. It must be nice to not fear death as much as I do.
How so? In my mind, there's a greater sense peace associated with believing that everything ends at death.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:52:42 pm »
Personally I do believe in a life past death, but I don't believe ghosts play into it. I don't believe in a limbo or that ghosts are actually souls who have lost their way or any such thing.

One day I was watching the show The Universe(very awesome if you love space by the way) and they were talking about alternate universes. Thousands and thousands of them, all on different planes of existence and all only microns off from the other. If we could see them all it would be like watching someone in slow motion, their actions repeating and a projection of their last action constantly following them along with the actions to come.

This is what I believe a ghost is, when somehow those planes cross and we see that projection from another plane pass over and suddenly become visible. Or even just audible or just a feeling. It would make even more sense since a lot of ghosts are said to be people who were killed in a tragic manner. It seems to me like that death was not supposed to occur yet, so the alternate planes are distorted by this loss and a rift is formed in the planes, letting us get a small glimpse of another universe.

I'm sure this is a very odd interpretation, but since I was absolutely petrified of ghosts when I was younger I had to find some way to rationalize it. This seemed the most plausible to me.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 07:41:20 pm »
I don't believe in life after death: A person's consciousness, experiences and memory are a function of brain activity, and when the brain stops, you no longer exist. Even if it is somehow possible for your consciousness to exist after death in some other form, the second law of thermodynamics states that such an existance cannot continue indefinitely.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 07:52:05 pm »
How so? In my mind, there's a greater sense peace associated with believing that everything ends at death.
That's only if you think you're going to hell otherwise. XD

No, just kidding. I'm at peace with the idea that everything ends at death. It's the idea that this death could come at any time that tends to weigh on the mind.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:23:37 pm »
Personally I do believe in a life past death, but I don't believe ghosts play into it. I don't believe in a limbo or that ghosts are actually souls who have lost their way or any such thing.

Ghosts are a really interesting thing.  I don't think they're really essential in the way we think, and I really don't believe in the movie type of ghost that just sticks around to scare people; it doesn't make sense to me.  Even if I died horrendously, I wouldn't want to stay in the same place with the same people where I was murdered.

Your theory could make sense.  However, if ghosts exist (which I'm not completely sure if they do or not), I like to think of it in a more positive sense.  Believing in reincarnation, I believe that people's spirits, in general, have a strong link to each other.  We've all existed long enough that we have a desire to be with those we love.  Truthfully, I think the people I'm closest with have been my friends and acquaintances for a very, very long time.  To me, that opens up the possibility of spirits hanging around, not necessarily to scare, but to help.

That's my own view, though.

No, just kidding. I'm at peace with the idea that everything ends at death. It's the idea that this death could come at any time that tends to weigh on the mind.
You know, I understand that you feel that way.  It doesn't really bother me because of my own mindset.  But if there were no afterlife, everything would end really quickly.  But that doesn't bother me, as well... the same thing has happened to everyone before.

If I do want to become immortal, in a way, I'll either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.  :)

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:40 pm »

Death coming at anytime scares you? I think about death every day. not in a "I wish I were dead" way or anything like that. I contemplate different ways to die all the time and the ramifications of my death and how my passing will impact others.

I also think about what it would be like to have a doctor tell me I had a  terminal condition. Would I want treatment? Could I afford it if I did want it? If I resfused treatment, how woud my friends react? How coulld I make sure word of my passing would reach all my friends?

To me, death is nothing scary. We're going to die one day, so why should I be afraid of it?

My motto is modified from a Red Dwarf quote. "Everybody dies; you're born, then you die. The bit in the middle is called life, so enjoy it while you can.

And I do. I eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink. I take in all the great things in life I want. I face my fears now and then to say I did it, and I run from my fears now and then because I don't feel up to facing them.  I don't worry about anything in my life short of going to jail (Thankfully I don't do illegal things).

Everything has an end and everything dies. The day must end and give way to night, the night must end and give in to the day. There exists no story or book that goes on forever, and even the stars above us will eventually fade out. Even if there is no life or existence beyond this I still do not fear death because it will happen one day. Till then, I'm gonna enjoy my time.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:02 pm »
I can't remember where I heard this from, but I think it was from a tv show.

Person A: What's death like?
Person B: It's kinda like being born. Only backwards.

:o  :D

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 01:24:45 am »
To me, death is nothing scary. We're going to die one day, so why should I be afraid of it?

For me, it's not knowing when it's coming that's kinda scary. While we all want to live our lives the best we can, most of our lives haven't lasted long enough to say we've lived a fulfilling life. At least that's my current take on it, that there's so much I've yet to do.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 02:25:57 am »
It's not death that's scary, but the actual process of dying, which is not usually as quick and painless as most people would like.

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 03:16:02 am »
Ghosts are a really interesting thing.  I don't think they're really essential in the way we think, and I really don't believe in the movie type of ghost that just sticks around to scare people; it doesn't make sense to me.  Even if I died horrendously, I wouldn't want to stay in the same place with the same people where I was murdered.

Your theory could make sense.  However, if ghosts exist (which I'm not completely sure if they do or not), I like to think of it in a more positive sense.  Believing in reincarnation, I believe that people's spirits, in general, have a strong link to each other.  We've all existed long enough that we have a desire to be with those we love.  Truthfully, I think the people I'm closest with have been my friends and acquaintances for a very, very long time.  To me, that opens up the possibility of spirits hanging around, not necessarily to scare, but to help.

I could very well see this being in the positive view. I have the automatic need to force it into some sort of scientific description. As I said, rationalizing it was the only way I could keep it from scaring me.

Still, I'll have to consider the spiritual side and that these spirits might actually be here to help instead of harm. But if that is the case would mind elaborating on why a ghost would stick around more often after a horrendous tragedy(AKA being killed, etc)? And why it seems almost automatic to fear them? I think those questions are mainly why I don't automatically fall for the spiritual explanation. No offense meant, I'm truly just curious.

It's not death that's scary, but the actual process of dying, which is not usually as quick and painless as most people would like.

I have to disagree. I fully believe with the way I treat myself I will die of cancer or heart failure. Yet I am not afraid of death in the slightest actually despite the fact that cancer will be a most horrendous and painful death. The only one that unnerves me a little(and doesn't quite scare) is drowning. I don't know, personally I just think it is all a matter of the person and their current spot in life.

For example, say a person has most of their affairs settled, knows where their money will go when they die and who will take over what. Even further, they are religiously secure and believe they know exactly what will happen to them after death. I think these factors are major ones among many that will make a person fear or not fear death. However, of course, this is all just speculation.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:55 am »

I have to disagree. I fully believe with the way I treat myself I will die of cancer or heart failure. Yet I am not afraid of death in the slightest actually despite the fact that cancer will be a most horrendous and painful death. The only one that unnerves me a little(and doesn't quite scare) is drowning. I don't know, personally I just think it is all a matter of the person and their current spot in life.

For example, say a person has most of their affairs settled, knows where their money will go when they die and who will take over what. Even further, they are religiously secure and believe they know exactly what will happen to them after death. I think these factors are major ones among many that will make a person fear or not fear death. However, of course, this is all just speculation.
See, I don't have my affairs in order, I don't know for certain what will happen to me when I die, and I'm not even 30.

Even so, I look forward to my end with anticipation. I'm eager to find out, but not so eager I'd commit suicide. My life is great and I'm enjoying it. I belive that as long as a person can be content in their life, despit not accomplishing all they want to do, they can face death without fear. But thats just my own opinon.

I certainly do belive in life after death based on scientific principles, but there is always room for doubt. After all one could argue that just because your nurons aren't firing anymore doesn't mean the soul is gone, the energy of your body remains, it's simply stored inside the flesh. This is why I wish to be cremated after my passing in order to release the stored, poteintial energy of my remains. In this way, I hope that my soul will not be trapped inside but released.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kaiyoki

• Tickled octarine?
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 08:37:14 am »

I could very well see this being in the positive view. I have the automatic need to force it into some sort of scientific description. As I said, rationalizing it was the only way I could keep it from scaring me.

Still, I'll have to consider the spiritual side and that these spirits might actually be here to help instead of harm. But if that is the case would mind elaborating on why a ghost would stick around more often after a horrendous tragedy(AKA being killed, etc)? And why it seems almost automatic to fear them? I think those questions are mainly why I don't automatically fall for the spiritual explanation. No offense meant, I'm truly just curious.

The person might have died so fast that they stay for answers, or maybe to comfort people that mourn the death. The person could also have unfinished affairs, as suggested by some previous posters, he or she might stick around to make sure that everything is right, so to speak. Though, as a ghost without having any effective method of interaction, for years and years on end. One would be expected to get severely frustrated and lash out at people, after so long wouldn't you try anything to let people know you're there and get their help? Of course, getting slapped by thin air would scare most people away...

Offline Marurashi

• Female
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 11:20:04 am »

I agree with alexandre,  in reincarnation, i beleive important people stick with us life after life and we keep coming back to experience life in a new way, through a new view.  i beleive that ghosts come in somewhare in the middle of each life.  you are born at a cirtin time so that every event you are ment to experience lines up properly, during that time you wait, and perhaps sometimes the spirit still floats around the physical world while its waiting to come back, due to one reason or another, perhaps strong feelings or emotions.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
I don't think we know enough about anything to make any assumptions about this.

I mean, think how we aren't all just automated masses of matter, but we actually think, and have consciousness. Is that consciousness some sort of soul that will live on after our physical bodies have died? Or is consciousness induced by the complexity of the brain, that will fade as the other organs in the body that allow the brain to function stop working themselves?

This then raises other questions - if consciousness is induced by the complexity of the brain, then what does it mean to be human? Accepting that death is the end also means accepting that humans are just another species on the planet. Given the egocentric nature of humanity, that's a hard thing to do, and is what makes most religeons and the concept of life after death so appealing.

I believe the latter myself, that consciousness in induced by the complexity of the brain, and that death really is the end.

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 03:46:45 pm »
Life after death?  There is only one way to find out for sure, so I'm not in a hurry to figure it out. :)

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 03:52:33 pm »
Ghosts are a really interesting thing.  I don't think they're really essential in the way we think, and I really don't believe in the movie type of ghost that just sticks around to scare people; it doesn't make sense to me.  Even if I died horrendously, I wouldn't want to stay in the same place with the same people where I was murdered.

Your theory could make sense.  However, if ghosts exist (which I'm not completely sure if they do or not), I like to think of it in a more positive sense.  Believing in reincarnation, I believe that people's spirits, in general, have a strong link to each other.  We've all existed long enough that we have a desire to be with those we love.  Truthfully, I think the people I'm closest with have been my friends and acquaintances for a very, very long time.  To me, that opens up the possibility of spirits hanging around, not necessarily to scare, but to help.

Hey, no offense taken.  I'm just as skeptical of what I believe as anyone else.  I've only settled here because it makes the most sense to me.

You know, most instances that people talk about scary ghosts are hoaxes.  I'm willing to bet my life savings on it (or I would if I had one).  Truthfully, I'm not sure if I believe in any evil spirits or anything.  However, if they did exist, I think it would be based off their own feelings, thinking there's something they could do to change what's happening.

Again, I'm hesitant to believe in ghosts that haunt places.  When I was Christian, I was quite paranoid of people getting possessed for a while (I even thought I had met a few).  I'm pretty sure I was just convincing myself of what I wanted to believe.  I'm a little less paranoid about things like that now.  :)

Life after death?  There is only one way to find out for sure, so I'm not in a hurry to figure it out. :)

Quoted for truth.  I could theorize all I'd want, but I'd have to die to know for sure.  ;)

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:11 pm »
I don't see any good reason to believe in anything after death.

Just like everyone else here, my desires influence my beliefs, only they run counter to what everyone else has said so far. I wouldn't want there to be an afterlife. It would cheapen real life.

To go further, I've been asked by Christians how I can feel optimistic or happy when I don't believe there's any "higher purpose" to life. To turn this around, I find the idea of God, reincarnation, or any sort of higher intelligence depressing. It goes back to that age-old question, "If God exists, why is there suffering?" To believe is God is to believe that there is a "right way," a way things ought to be, and that is a path to disappointment and ultimately to indignation and ungratefulness. "Why doesn't the world work the way I want it to/been told it does?" That sort of thing.

But if there's no God and no afterlife, then our present life becomes precious. And to suppose your existence is not part of anyone's master plan allows you to truly be thankful for any good things that happen to you.

Uh, er...didn't mean to delve so far into my personal philosophy, but there it is.
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief