Author Topic: Is this Big Brother going to far?  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
Re: Is this Big Brother going to far?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 01:33:25 am »
This just in...or maybe it was yesterday...or the day before. Running nights always makes me loose track of time...
W.H. Pulls Plug on E-Mail Asking For "Fishy" Reports

This didn't surprise me one bit, Narei.  I'm sure most knew that this email thing wouldn't last very long. LOL

Seems to me, Naomi, my post went over your head.  No problem.

Back to the topic at hand. *giggles*

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:31 am »
This just in...or maybe it was yesterday...or the day before. Running nights always makes me loose track of time...
W.H. Pulls Plug on E-Mail Asking For "Fishy" Reports

This didn't surprise me one bit, Narei.  I'm sure most knew that this email thing wouldn't last very long. LOL

TBH, I'm kinda suprised it went on as long as it did. Especially after the claims about people receiving spam* emails from Axelrod about the healthcare reform. I'm not promoting a claim that the spam was a result of the initial reporting process I started this thread on, but you can't deny the implication of the timeline.

Considering what I posted about the fishy reports program being ended, I don't think we'll see this thread going on much more about it specifically. Since I created the topic, and if the staff is ok with this, I won't mind if people want to continue to debate principles behind this or similar reporting programs by the government in general.

*I'm calling the questionable e-mails from the White House and David Axelrod spam because it was unsolicited emails being sent to these people. In my view, it doesn't matter how you wind up on a mailing list, legally or otherwise, it's still spam if it was not something you specifically signed up to receive.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 08:17:05 am »
Seems to me, Naomi, my post went over your head.  No problem.

If you don't want to even attempt to justify your Godwin's Law, that is fine with me.
Avatar credit goes to Sheeta, thanks!
http://www.textswell.com/read,4206682163599 = Epsy fursona description

Offline Kada-Ru

• Female
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:52:39 am »
Narei, you know as well as I do that when there is an email for ANYTHING there will be those out there that are only out for fun by spamming it.  That shouldn't be surprising to them or any one else. LOL

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 05:25:57 pm »
I also disagree with the whitehouse wanting a website for people to report what folks are saying about their policies.  It shows the goverment doesnt trust its people to think for themselves, and desires to "correct" them to its way of thinking.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline Epsy

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 09:22:55 pm »
It shows the goverment doesnt trust its people to think for themselves, and desires to "correct" them to its way of thinking.

No it doesn't. At all.

It shows the government is aware that there are lies and misinformation being spread and that it seeks to correct the lies and misinformation by presenting facts.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:29 pm »
Yaknow, I'd trust the government no more than the average Joe to give the facts to me straight. Not the Obama administration, not the Bush Administration, or any other administration because they all will try to spin anything to their favor. Even if it's something I agree with. I mean, who's to say they won't try to "correct" a logical conclusion based on facts? I'm all for wanting to trust my government, but not that much.

I'm just curious, Naomi... Would you be ok with this kind of program if it were a Republican/Conservative in the White House and/or over another issue? If so, then I'll give you points on sticking to your beliefs, and that's more than a lot of people on either side can say.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 10:02:58 pm »
Yaknow, I'd trust the government no more than the average Joe to give the facts to me straight. Not the Obama administration, not the Bush Administration, or any other administration because they all will try to spin anything to their favor. Even if it's something I agree with. I mean, who's to say they won't try to "correct" a logical conclusion based on facts? I'm all for wanting to trust my government, but not that much.

Its okay if you disagree with what the government is saying, thats fine. But this isn't some government attempt to censor people, and I'm tired of people framing it as such. This is no different then when the white house makes an official statement on something, and people need to stop trying to look for something that isn't there. That is all I ask.

I'm just curious, Naomi... Would you be ok with this kind of program if it were a Republican/Conservative in the White House and/or over another issue? If so, then I'll give you points on sticking to your beliefs, and that's more than a lot of people on either side can say.

I don't hold double standards against the right. I'd be fine if this program was, for example a white house site set up so that the Government could learn what kind of misinformation was being spread on, say, the PATRIOT Act.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »
Fair enough.

Offline Kada-Ru

• Female
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »
It shows the government is aware that there are lies and misinformation being spread and that it seeks to correct the lies and misinformation by presenting facts.

As far as I am concerned, if they are ALREADY aware that there are lies and misinformation being spread, they don't need to ask people about it.  All they have to do is present the facts to the people which doesn't include getting people to send anything to some email addy.

Seems so very simple to me.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 11:19:35 am »

As far as I am concerned, if they are ALREADY aware that there are lies and misinformation being spread, they don't need to ask people about it.  All they have to do is present the facts to the people which doesn't include getting people to send anything to some email addy.

Seems so very simple to me.

Its quite elementary indeed. The government wishes to know exactly what is being spread so that it knows exactly what it needs to clarify. The government wants to know what the subject is before they start talking, which seems to be a rather informed way to go about things.

There is no reason to make more of this then what it actually is.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »
I think Kada makes a great point. Especially with all the 24/7 news sources out there. Most of the claimed lies beind spread can easily be found on tv or the net. Not just on the current issue at hand, but in general. The information is already pretty easy to come by, especially when I'm sure the government already monitors nearly every news source out there for just such a reason.

Offline Epsy

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:30 pm »
I think Kada makes a great point. Especially with all the 24/7 news sources out there. Most of the claimed lies beind spread can easily be found on tv or the net. Not just on the current issue at hand, but in general. The information is already pretty easy to come by, especially when I'm sure the government already monitors nearly every news source out there for just such a reason.

Clearly not or else the website wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Once again, another attempt to make something bigger then it is. There is no evidence to support any theory that the website is more than what it claimed to be, and any word to the contrary is alarmist speculation.