Author Topic: Same Sex Marriage on Bill Moyers  (Read 2619 times)

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
Same Sex Marriage on Bill Moyers
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »
Thought the following might interest a few folks...

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/blog/2010/02/debating_samesex_marriage.html

I posted this here, because I don't know if there are any good arguments against same sex marriage. The argument put forth by Ted Olson and David Boies is pretty sound. So, what do you all think? Please keep things civil.
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Same Sex Marriage on Bill Moyers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:28:31 am »
One thing that a lot of people don't seem to get is that religious objections should have no weight under the law. Unless they have secular objections, then there is no reason not to allow it. And I know of no good secular reasons against gay marriage (aside from arguments against marriage in general.)

Not only that, but it seems to me that "one man, one woman" laws are highly discriminatory. And not just against homosexuals, but against men and women in general. By adding that in, they are supporting the idea that men have a particular role they are suppose to fill in society, and women have a particular role they are suppose to fill in society. This is not something that should be dictated by law.  I find the very idea to be a great injustice.  I don't think the law should make any distinction between men and women except where strictly necessary, and I suspect such cases are rare.