Author Topic: S3E013"Magical Mystery Cure "  (Read 8192 times)

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
S3E013"Magical Mystery Cure "
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Season 3 Episode 13 Princess Coronation ~ Magical Mystery Cure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BproFrkCouM&list=UUGPHg9yTBavea-vCNluYSvQ

Entertainment Weekly Exclusive Clip from Magical Mystery Cure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMp-Jd7b7aM

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 3, Episode 13 - Magical Mystery Cure - 1080p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q51chODc-40&hd=1

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:27:55 pm by NeoFur »

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
Re: S3E013"Magical Mystery Cure "
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:38 pm »
Do you Believe in M.A. Larson? :o

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:11:44 pm »
Eugh.   Spoilers~

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »
Do you Believe in M.A. Larson? :o

Met the guy at Midwestria, said I could call him Mitch :P. Sang karaoke with him and also Amy Keating Rogers.

I'd say so.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
Too. Many. Songs.

I can appreciate having a few songs in an episode, but this was, what, 6 total? It felt like they had songs for a full-hour episode, but had to cram them into a half-hour ep instead. There was so much song that it left almost no time for actual dialogue.

Also, the 'solution' to fix the mixed-up cutie marks seemed awfully recycled from the solution to Discord's shenanigans. "Twilight needs to remind her friends of what their true personalities/talents really are."

And one more thought: Starswirl did 90% of the work on that special spell, and yet Twilight gets the credit for it? And what does it actually do other than turn a unicorn into an alicorn as long as she has 5 friends nearby? So can AJ, RD, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie all surround Lyra, have Lyra read the spell, and turn her into an alicorn, too?

Such a good season overall, but I just don't like the approach they took to this episode. Though I'm not sure if they could have done much better considering they were forced to make an episode to turn Twilight into an alicorn to begin with. I feel like the episode suffered a bit because the team didn't really like what they were being forced to do.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
The first song was amazing.  <3

But yeah,  i did feel this was rushed.  This should have been spread out over two episodes.

Also, I really felt like there should have been more... Conflict?   This was just kind of like... "There's a slight problem.  Oh look,  she fixed it in the first 5 minutes of the show.  Of woo,  she's an alicorn now!  weeee~"

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
I think that, given the facts that (a) this is a show for little girls, meant to sell toys, and (b) this show lasted only 15 minutes, this was a nice, if abrupt, way to end the season if not the series.

I think the songs were cute, and the storyline actually was decent, despite being a little reused.

I honestly would be content if MLP:FiM ended at this point. The last episode of this season seemed like a perfect ending for the series as a whole. If there is another season planned, I think I'll skip out on it.  (:

Yay for ponies and cuteness!  :D
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:32:20 am »
I just love the fact that they gave Celestia a song.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:25:05 am »
I just love the fact that they gave Celestia a song.

Absolutely.  Actually,  2 of the songs in this episode are now on my top 3 list... Along with, "May the best pet win."  Celestia's song,  and, "what my cutie mark is telling me,"

On a completely unrelated note:

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 10:25:56 am »

Absolutely.  Actually,  2 of the songs in this episode are now on my top 3 list... Along with, "May the best pet win."  Celestia's song,  and, "what my cutie mark is telling me,"

Those two were definitely the best two in the episode. But I really don't think that the rest of them needed to be there. I think those two would have stood out even more if they were the stand-alone songs in the episode. The other songs being there made me have more of an 'ugh, not another song' feeling, without really paying much attention to the actual song at first.

I re-watched the episode last night, and more stuff hit me this time around. While I feel like a lot of the stuff could have been done just as well, if not better, through actual dialogue rather than song, when I actually listened to the lyrics a little more closely, it seemed better. The episode felt a little more complete, I guess I'd say. And man, they could have ended the episode/season/series just with Celestia's song, and everything would be right with the world. It had a very final feel to it. Though I guess it's more a mark of a transition, rather than an end.

I'm still a little sore that Hasbro forced Twilicorn on the series. I mean, they have a right to do so as it is their IP and all, and they are just trying to sell their toys. But I guess I was just always hoping that the Mane 6 would wind up forming some manner of oligarchy or something instead. I mean, their true power only exists when they act as a group. Still, though, I'm interested to see where Season 4 goes. It'll be different I'm sure, but perhaps it'll provide opportunities for some new and interesting story lines.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:22 am »
A interesting end of season show. I think it was rather hurried, and
would have worked better as a two part episode for a end of season.  

Twilight didn't even get a chance to fly (You know anyone that suddenly
had wings would want to try them out  :D ) or have a flowing mane like the
other princesses have. But it likely worked fine for the targeted audience.

Time will tell if it leads into a new season or not. Say "A new beginning."

A good story for a new season would be the experiences, and problems
of learning to be a princess, even a friendship princess. After all she has
royal responsibilitys and (sadly) can't just be one of the girls any more.
Celestia did promise that she would teach/help Twilight as needed.

Either way it's been fun.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:03:32 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:45:55 pm »
Season 4 has been confirmed for a while now, according to Bronyville.

As for this episode, seems everyone thinks it was rushed. I also saw a post on Facebook that M.A. Larson said Hasbro also pretty much wanted them to make this a musical episode. I think it was too much as well, but it's what Big H wanted, and he also said some of the songs were cut short just to fit it into the time limit. So wished for a full hour on this.

Let's see.... High points:
Vinyl Scratch
Crowd yelling "PINKIE!!"
Pinkie's impromptu alicorn party
Pinkie's delay for a water spit shot
Ok, everything Pinkie in this episode
Thoughts of future episodes about Twili akwardly learning to fly dashed by the ending shot (Apparently being an expert flyer is part of being a Princess?)
Cutie Mark song was catchy
The flashbacks with the eyes and in the "Twilight Zone" (Good call Alsek!)
Twilight with boots now
RD's line "Uh, hello? Friend trapped inside. Remember?"
Shining Armour "It's liquid pride."
Animation seemed pretty stepped up too. Things seemed to flow very smooth.

At first, I thought the animation was pretty bad when watching it on Youtube, like the lip sync was messed up. To the point I was pretty convinced it was a time alignment issue from the upload because I couldn't believe it would have left production in such a state. Thankfully I was right when I saw it again this morning on the Hub at work and the lip synced up right with the voices.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:14:09 am »
I was pretty happy with this episode overall. Clearly it was meant for more episodes and would have been better that way, but by this point I understand that they have to edit out stuff.

I didn't mind reusing the Discord thing; I thought it was pretty clever, resetting everyone in a circle. Rarity as Dash was probably the best. Forgetting Dash was tied up, while singing about not leaving friends behind, was great especially since I knew it was happening as soon as they started singing about that.

I like the overall concept of the episode; moving Twilight's personal story forward, using an ancient spell plus new knowledge of friendship magic. But naturally it wasn't very fleshed out. I'm not sure what the real purpose of the spell was; creating alicorns? Seems unlikely. Why is the spell worded the way it is?

Twilight seems like she embodies all the Elements of Harmony now? Does that mean the Elements are obsolete?

Offline Kasuni

• Species: Ocelot/Wolf
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:41 pm »
I admit, I didn't look at the picture just clicked the link and when I saw twilight change into an alicorn, I freaked. and during her princess thing all I could think was "her parents must be so proud"

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 02:21:54 am »
Given that I didn't watch this episode the day it came out, there was pretty much no way to miss the spoilers about Twilight.  So, that's a little too bad.  I probably wouldn't have seen it coming, and that would have made the episode more surprising.  As it was, I enjoyed all the singing, and I thought the plot was cute -- checkerboard rainclouds and rampaging woodland animals with forks, especially.  It did feel strangely upbeat for an episode of... well... anything.  Even a show about technicolor ponies aimed at five-year-olds.  It was very low on tension.  However, my daughter -- an actual five-year-old -- was clearly delighted by Twilight becoming a princess and getting wings.  Strangely, she seemed more excited about the princess part than the wings part...  *shrug*  So, I think they hit the mark perfectly with that demographic.

I'm glad that there's going to be a fourth season.  There's still a lot for the writers to explore with these characters and this world.  I'd be sad if this had been the last episode, though it really did feel like it could have been a fitting end to the series.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:53 am »
It did feel strangely upbeat for an episode of... well... anything. 
(: Quite so!

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 02:35:17 am »
It's going to take a while to get used to Twilight having wings...  Very strange.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45:03 am »
It's going to take a while to get used to Twilight having wings...  Very strange.

Heh, actually for me I think adjusting to her being a princess is going to be a big deal. I read some random brief fanfic and Twilight was stressing how she felt privileged to know a princess personally... really the whole dynamic is changed now. I always thought the whole 'student of Celestia' thing was way more important to Twilight than to Celestia, but now we see it was pretty significant.

Wings are pretty weird though. I mean, she clearly doesn't need them. She can teleport, and can levitate all her friends at once when she needs to. I hope the wings won't mean the teleporting gets downplayed!

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »
Roll up! Roll up for the mystery cure!

Sorry. Had to. :|

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Roll up! Roll up for the mystery cure!

Sorry. Had to. :|
It's ok, someone had to. :P

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:12 pm »
Heh, actually for me I think adjusting to her being a princess is going to be a big deal. I read some random brief fanfic and Twilight was stressing how she felt privileged to know a princess personally... really the whole dynamic is changed now. I always thought the whole 'student of Celestia' thing was way more important to Twilight than to Celestia, but now we see it was pretty significant.

Wings are pretty weird though. I mean, she clearly doesn't need them. She can teleport, and can levitate all her friends at once when she needs to. I hope the wings won't mean the teleporting gets downplayed!

I guess that being a princess doesn't seem like that big of deal to me.  I mean, she was already the student of a princess, friends with a princess, and sister-in-law to a princess.  So, that kind of seems like a natural evolution.

It is weird how the wings are redundant with the teleporting.  They'd be much more useful for Pinkie Pie.  Woah...  Now, Pinkie Pie with wings could be amusing.  Somehow, I don't feel like Apple Jack needs them.  I guess, since all of her work is down on the ground in that orchard, they just don't seem all that essential.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:58:21 pm »
Pinkie Pie can break the fourth wall and can already pretty much fly if she wanted to I think. AJ could actually use them. Think about how easy it would be to spread seeds, or bring rain. :P

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:55 am »
If I'm not mistaken, in the original concept art, Pinkie Pie was a pegasus named Surprise and Fluttershy was an earth-pony, which is why the two seem sometimes like they would work better with their race swapped.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:57 am »
If I'm not mistaken, in the original concept art, Pinkie Pie was a pegasus named Surprise and Fluttershy was an earth-pony, which is why the two seem sometimes like they would work better with their race swapped.

You're right, bkatt--here is the concept art from Lauren Faust's dA page: http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/art/SURPRIIIIIIISE-260220809
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:00 am »

That makes so much sense...