Author Topic: Midwest Furfest 2013! Nov 22-24 in Rosemont, IL  (Read 17486 times)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: Midwest Furfest 2013! Nov 22-24 in Rosemont, IL
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:06 pm »
Well, this con has come and gone. And just... wow. As much as I enjoyed last year's MFF, I think this year kicked it up a notch. Likely because there were quite a few people there that I knew this time around. And it also helped that I knew a bit more about what to expect from it this time, and didn't need to spend the first day and a half just kinda stunned from awe at the whole experience. And special thanks to Shim and his parents for holding the little pre-con get-together for our group on Thursday night. That was lots of fun by itself.

At the con this year, I didn't actually go to a whole lot of the actual programming. I spent a good chunk of it just wandering around and hanging out with various people. A lot of it with the help of Natura, cause I'm not all that outgoing myself. There were a couple occasions where he recruited a random fursuiter to join us in wandering, which was rather entertaining all around. We even stumbled upon what seemed to be some strange religious ceremony involving a circle of fursuits chanting around Raptor Jesus (it was a video shoot).  Also ended up checking out the fursuit dance competition, which was pretty awesome to see.  When I think of the talents of the fandom, I think mostly of the arts and crafts side of it. So seeing some pretty good dancing, especially for being in a fursuit, was a blast.

Long and short of it: I owe a lot to the 7 people in our little group for making the weekend awesome. Notably from here, that would be Shim, Mylo, Natura, and Gauthar. I can't wait to see you guys again next year. And maybe some at AC 2014???

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:53 am »
Pretty much what Ziel said.

I'm REALLY REALLY glad all of the craziness worked out, that everybody seemed to have fun (Albedo), and that everybody made it home safely.

I really want to thank everybody who came to the Furtopia meet, and I especially want to thank Ziel for putting up with my shenanigans -coughorderingdinneronsaturdaycough-

Everything went by much too fast this year, but hey, next year!

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »
Pretty much what Ziel said.

I'm REALLY REALLY glad all of the craziness worked out, that everybody seemed to have fun (Albedo), and that everybody made it home safely.

I really want to thank everybody who came to the Furtopia meet, and I especially want to thank Ziel for putting up with my shenanigans -coughorderingdinneronsaturdaycough-

Everything went by much too fast this year, but hey, next year!

What matters is that we eventually got to eat food! And it was quite tasty, too.

On another note, I still close my eyes and see fursuits everywhere O.O
Being around them for a few days makes me want to try it.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »
Being around them for a few days makes me want to try it.

OMG!!!!  I kid you not, when i was on the plane I did the exact same thing, and it made me feel so tranquil and happy.

Guys I really wanna thank all of you (including the ones not on this site) for putting up with me and my desire to feed cookies to everyone ^^.  I also wanna thank you for being patient with me when I felt lost.

If it hadn't of been for you guys I would never of been there, so I thank you from all of my heart, but even more thank you Ziel.  You truly are a great guy, out of all the spontaneous things we did, it was great to see you laugh so heartfully :).  You are a swell comrad.

Lots of love to you all <3

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:14 pm »
Good con was good!  And it was awesome to actually make it to a Furtopia meet up for once!  :D

Lots of fun was had with you guys--I wish I could have stayed longer, or hung out with you more over the weekend. 

From the Furfest forums--"To recap our final numbers: We had around 3,825 attendees, which included 240 Sponsors and 75 Shiny Sponsors. We had 972 fursuiters in the Fursuit Parade. Between donations, the Charity Poker Tournament, the Charity Auction, and 2 and Kage's Charty Show, $8,000 was raised for our charity, One Tail at a Time. We were pleased to be able to add a donation of $20,000 on top of that."

Good stuff all around.  You guys rock!
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Gauthar

• Male
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2013, 12:40:08 am »
Yes indeed fun times i met sheeta whose actions alone make me feel i am somewhat sane....bahahaha sorry couldnt even type that without chuckling. Ps text me to keep in toucb oh crazy one. The con itself was great i hugged many fursuiters and crushed the hug competition me, ziel, and natura had going. A few commissions random shirts from grab bags one being red lantern. Random badges, buttons, into a new game, other things and had overall fun

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2013, 02:29:42 am »
While I sadly wasn't able to hang out with all of you for very long on Friday night, I am extremely glad that I was still able to attend your Furtopia meet-up for at least a little while.  I just had an extremely busy con with *way* too much that I wanted to do, and as a result I zipped into the hotel room where you were having the meetup in the short time that I had between "2 the Ranting Gryphon's" stand-up comedy routine and when the "MLP Party Panel" started.  My whole MFF weekend was like that-- zipping in and out between various panels, shows, organized events, room parties, and other things, all the while barely stopping even to eat or sleep.  Heck, here it is Tuesday night already and I still feel as if I was run over by a bus after that marathon of activity-- I have a feeling that I have only just begun to recuperate from last weekend (and I don't even drink)!   :D

Looking back on last Friday night and how things ended up playing out, in retrospect I probably should have stayed hanging out with you guys instead of leaving your get-together early to go to the "MLP Party Panel."  While that MLP panel was an absolutely blast at both MFF 2011 and MFF 2012, this year legal threats from Hasbro absolutely neutered what the panelists were allowed to say, show, and do, which just decimated that panel and sucked the life straight from it.  *sigh*  That panel was actually depressing, and not in any way a party at all!  Way more "Pinkamina" than "Pinkie Pie," you know?

My convention experience itself, while overall positive, did have its ups and downs, with highs and lows sometimes happening in the same day.  I think that one of the largest contributing factors to that is just how huge Midwest Furfest is getting.  When I first started attending Midwest Furfest 11-years ago it had only 748 attendees.  My two most memorable Furfests, 2004 and 2005, had 885 and 1066 attendees, respectively.  When the con was smaller in size like that it just took far less time to do things-- there was only one artist alley room instead of four, the art show and the dealer den were both half the size, and there were fewer programming tracks to have to choose between.  And while at first glance that all may seem like a Bad Thing, the truth is that it gives you a chance to actually do it all, *and* still have plenty of time left over to relax and hang out with all of your out-of-town friends.

When I first attended Anthrocon in 2009, that con had 3776-attendees.  I thought that number of attendees was absolutely huge at the time, and I found the massive size of the con and the sea of its attendees to be absolutely exhausting!  As Sheeta reported above, Midwest Furfest had 3825-attendees this year, which is 49 more than were at the overwhelming experience that I had at Anthrocon!  And yet, I *still* try to do all the things that I used to do at Furfest a decade ago, except that there are now more programming tracks, the dealer room and the art show are twice the size, and the artist alley is now four-times the size...  No wonder I end up running around like crazy all weekend with no time to eat or sleep!!!  Now don't get me wrong-- I love Midwest Furfest!  It's located so close to me that it is nearly on my doorstep, and it was my first furry con and the con that I have attended more than any other.  But boy oh boy has it gotten big!  And that just makes it so much harder to coordinate with other people-- apparently several of my friends showed up there but I missed them completely, never happening across them in that sea of people in acrylic fur and dog collars!  In future years I may have to find another one of the smaller nearby furry cons to start going to as well so that I can get that smaller con cozy atmosphere back!

My grey-muzzle-like griping about ever-increasing con-size aside, once again it was nice to see all of my fellow Furtopians again.  As always when I run into Sheeta my wallet suddenly became thinner and I ended up with still more of her incredible MLP:FiM-themed buttons!  I think I bought 5 of them this time?  Apparently I just can't resist them!   :)  And while I see Shim all of the time at local LAFF events, seeing him again is never a bad thing.  And I ended up talking about machine language programming and microprocessor architecture with redyoshi49q until like 3 or 4 in the morning one night...  That's never a bad conversation!  LOL!  And I saw the ever-talented Furtopia member and tail-maker Lascivus_Lutra in the dealer's den and picked up my first-ever tail that I had commissioned from him this year!  That's right-- I have been going to furry cons for 11-years now, and up until 4-days ago I never had or wore a tail...  I just ease into these things slowly I guess!  At this rate I will finally get my very first fursuit at Midwest Furfest 2023!   :D  So yeah, my over-scheduling myself and con-size complaints aside, it was still overall a very fun con!  In any case I look forward to attending Midwest Furfest again next year, and hopefully my schedule will work out better next time so that I can spend the entire duration of the Furtopia member meetup with you guys instead of having to dart in and out like I ended up doing this year!

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:06 am »
Good con was good!  And it was awesome to actually make it to a Furtopia meet up for once!  :D

Lots of fun was had with you guys--I wish I could have stayed longer, or hung out with you more over the weekend.  

From the Furfest forums--"To recap our final numbers: We had around 3,825 attendees, which included 240 Sponsors and 75 Shiny Sponsors. We had 972 fursuiters in the Fursuit Parade. Between donations, the Charity Poker Tournament, the Charity Auction, and 2 and Kage's Charty Show, $8,000 was raised for our charity, One Tail at a Time. We were pleased to be able to add a donation of $20,000 on top of that."

Good stuff all around.  You guys rock!

Oh my gosh!!!  It was you?!

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

@Hoagiebot
Hey there, i'm sorry I didn't get to see you.  Or maybe I did considering I didn't know that was Sheeta XD.
At any rate, the size isn't a bad thing when you look at it this way.  You were never going to see everything, it is impossible, but then it means you got something to look forward to the year after.  it also means your experiences will always change (knock on wood) possibly for the better or same :).

I mean on saturday all I went to participate in was the 'whoes lions is it anyway' and see the parade.  The rest of the time it was just meeting new people and being in these moments.

At any rate maybe someday we'll meet.....if we haven't already XD

Also Gauther - you didn't win cause we all stopped counting so *blows rasberry*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:43:56 am by Natura Wolf »

Offline Duck

• Male
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2013, 12:58:34 am »
So I am new to Furtopia but not the furry lifestyle or MFF. I was so pleased with MFF. I bought some fabulous things and happy to say my panel was a smash hit and I can't wait to program again next year!

Furres are amazing and I loved my time there

Duck
furry code :
FAD6s A- C++ D H M P++ R+++ T++ W- Z Sm++ RLMH a+ cn++  d+ e+++ f++ h+++ i+++ j+ p++ sm++

http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ to decode for you

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2013, 12:58:07 am »
So I am new to Furtopia but not the furry lifestyle or MFF. I was so pleased with MFF. I bought some fabulous things and happy to say my panel was a smash hit and I can't wait to program again next year!

Duck

Which panel did you run?

Offline Duck

• Male
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2013, 05:56:17 am »
Discussions with Duck: Sexuality in the Furry Fandom

it was crammed in at 10pm on Saturday because it was a 'mature' topic. Had a great turn out and a great turn out in 2012 so I am working on a few ideas for next year

Duck
furry code :
FAD6s A- C++ D H M P++ R+++ T++ W- Z Sm++ RLMH a+ cn++  d+ e+++ f++ h+++ i+++ j+ p++ sm++

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2013, 05:57:46 am »
Sorry I didn't see many of you.  Maybe next year!
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline Gauthar

• Male
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2013, 08:30:05 am »
Who were you?

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 01:38:52 am »
(To those of you who missed the memo: I did go to MFF this year.  I... was a little delayed in making my arrangements to do so, hence the lack of prior mention of this.  ...Yay for procrastination?)

I sometimes see things in my peripheral vision and think (however briefly) that the thing I saw was a fursuiter.  I'm sorry to say this, Ziel, but the condition's incurable; you'll just have to go to more furry cons for therapy.

And I ended up talking about machine language programming and microprocessor architecture with redyoshi49q until like 3 or 4 in the morning one night...  That's never a bad conversation!  LOL!

It was a fun conversation, indeed!  Imagine if we had actually had the relevant hardware in front of us; we may *never* have gone to bed!

And I saw the ever-talented Furtopia member and tail-maker Lascivus_Lutra in the dealer's den and picked up my first-ever tail that I had commissioned from him this year!  That's right-- I have been going to furry cons for 11-years now, and up until 4-days ago I never had or wore a tail...  I just ease into these things slowly I guess!  At this rate I will finally get my very first fursuit at Midwest Furfest 2023!

Your first suit might come sooner than you think.  A tail's only the beginning...

@Hoagiebot
Hey there, i'm sorry I didn't get to see you.  Or maybe I did considering I didn't know that was Sheeta XD.

Hoagie was the guy wearing a white lab coat (a la the mad scientist stereotype).  ...No, not that guy in a white lab coat, the other one...

But I suppose the greatest thing I took away from this con, the thing I enjoyed the most, was just hanging out with all you guys.  It was surreal being there with you all, and even as I'm typing this I miss you all already...

There's a reason why PCD is an acronym in this fandom.  Cons have a tendency to be such a fun experience that in comparison, the baseline mood of an everyday life feels like depression.

Duck

...And now I remember why your name seemed vaguely familiar to me at coffee.  Hi!  I was the guy that was chatting up a storm with a snow leopard.

(And welcome to the forums, BTW.)

P.S.: It was nice seeing all of you guys (new faces as well as old) at MFF.  I had a great time.

P.P.S.: Rootbeer's photoshoot pics are up!  (He was at MFF last year... but missed both the parade *and* the photoshoot...)

P.P.P.S: (*insert comment about excessive post scripts here*)
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Duck

• Male
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 03:07:35 am »
Redyoshi...the page is fighting with me and wouldn't let me quote

it was nice to meet you and the others as well. I should be attending every other Tuesday

I'll be doing 2-3 panels next year so I hope to see you and the others at CHUFF

Duck
furry code :