Author Topic: Last thing you cooked  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Hans the husky

• Species: Siberian husky
  • Male
Last thing you cooked
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »
Write the last thing you cooked and your personal critiqe. I'll start. For dinner I made a cheese souffle with whole eggs, mushroons, chives, and garlic. I used copious amounts of butter in the proccess but as they say: butter makes it better. Anyways, I wouldv'e liked a bit more cheese and it was a bit undersalted. I'm trying to work on using the right amount of salt as I have a tendency to undersalt.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Last thing you cooked
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 09:30:43 pm »
 Well I can't say I made anything so nice as that Hans.

I cooked  a few thin cut pork chops.  Started out with some oil and water with salt.  Let water boil down (lowest setting) while I made something else.  Water boiled out gently leaving oil.  Oil finished cooking chops. Browned on both sides.  Oil drained.  Skillet deglazed with a little water. Juice poured on chops.
Easy.
All that time I was boiling water for my mac-n cheese.  :-[

Apple sauce seasoned with splenda and cinnamon.
I am not the best cook.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:57:38 am »
Baked chicken thighs. I keep the seasoning light because I use these to make quick dishes. The last one was chopped up chicken in noodles with olive oil and mozzarella cheese.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 07:30:07 am »
Fried rice

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:13:16 pm »
I'll fix a box of Hamburger Helper Cheesy Enchilada mix tonight for dinner. But I usually like to spice it up a bit with a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes and 1 cup of diced mixed red & green pepper, onion, and celery. And when all done cooked, then top it off with some shredded cheddar cheese. I usually make it with ground beef. But maybe tonight I might switch to diced chicken. I'm not sure yet?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:14:50 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
Missed a few days but here are some recent thing

Penne Pomodoro
Chicken Schnitzel
Chicken soup
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:42:25 pm by Hans the husky »

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 06:51:45 pm »
Cheap stake. Season it and put it in a covered pan. Cook it for 1 hour + ( depending on it's thickness ) in a 250 ( 121 ) oven. Usually cook mine for 1:00. I like my meat with no red or pink inside. Let the meat sit for a good ten minutes before enjoying. Turns shoe leather meat into something more eatable.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 06:55:36 pm »
Cheap stake. Season it and put it in a covered pan. Cook it for 1 hour + ( depending on it's thickness ) in a 250 ( 121 ) oven. Usually cook mine for 1:00. I like my meat with no red or pink inside. Let the meat sit for a good ten minutes before enjoying. Turns shoe leather meat into something more eatable.
Low and slow is the way to go. Especially for kow quality meat.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:41:12 pm »
Got a 1 lb package of ground turkey sausage from a friend who didn't want it. I wasn't sure what to make with it at first. But after deciding, I might use it in chili. Make up a big pot of chili, add in the turkey sausage, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 or 1 1/2 cup of mixed diced celery, onion, and red & green pepper, and 1 package of chili seasoning mix.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 07:16:37 pm »
A piece of fish masquerading as salmon.
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 07:18:55 pm »
Don't know what to call it. This can be made with or with out meats.

Start by stir frying some vedges till they are done the way you like them. Wile they are cooking add in some butter and dried potato flakes. So the flakes will brown. Then season to taste just before adding the rest of the ingredients. If you use dry or powder garlic this will help keep them from burning. Giving a way better flavor. Now dump in as much dry potato flacks as needed with as much water as needed and finish off. If adding already cooked meat at it when you add the water for the potato flakes. This keeps from overcooking the already cooked food. Adding cheese to this is just another level of goodness.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 04:51:30 pm »
Couldn't make chili last night as I forgot to buy tomato paste. Bought some today, so I'll finish making the chili tonight.

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 04:59:08 pm »
Spanish omelette

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 11:58:45 pm »
Bagels from scratch.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 01:36:04 pm »
 A bit of cooking knowledge.
If your like me you like home made cookies. Most of the time you have to use brown sugar. There is a better way. Black Strap Molasses. Add this to regular sugar and you get brown sugar. As long as you have regular sugar and this you will always have brown sugar on hand. One table spoon per cup of white sugar for light. Two for dark. Molasses lasts a very long time. The bottle I use is well over 7 years old. So no more brown sugar drying out and chunking up. No more having to buy brown sugar.

Make sure the molasses label says 'black strap'. Lower quality molasses doesn't work as well.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 04:01:47 pm »
Planning a spaghetti dinner tonight with a marinara sauce and Italian style meatballs.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 04:48:17 pm »
Really bad sugar cookies. Ive been baking cookies for l over 50 years now. I have never had sugar cookies this bad. Got the recipe off of allrecipes.com. Chose it because it was the closest thing to the one I used as a kid. Ended up tossing it all. Then i got to thinking. I grew up with noting. We never had snacks or much of anything in the house. So these cookies were something special when they were made.  The recipe I used years ago called for Crisco.  Same as the recipe I just tried. I haven't made them in well over 30 years. Maybe this is what they tasted like? I don't remember. Going to try a different recipe today. The first recipe had other problems. Way to wet to roll out. Remained undone even at twice the cooking time. I think the recipe was written wrong. Going to use the old cutters I've had all my life. And ya, sprinkles. Because it's Christmas. And I'm worth sprinkles.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 11:52:16 pm »
I heated up some egg rolls. It's great being a loser.

Cause,  you ARE worth those sprinkles!  :)

My mom's sugar cookie recipe also used crisco. But they always came out good.  Maybe I can find it and post it
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 02:42:40 am »
Thanks Jade. Wish I could share some of these sprinkles with ya. And no. You are not a looser.
Good News! I found the old recipe. Used it as a place marker in a cook book. Ya, those other cookies were bad. Now I know why. Way to many eggs. My moms old recipe calls for one egg for two cups of flour. The recipe I got off line calls for 3 eggs for f5 cups of flour. And it called for baking soda.

Jade, would still like your old recipe. Perhaps we could make a cookie recipe exchange thread. I do have something I could share on this thread. Something else I got off line. But this is actually good.

Cookie paint.
1 egg yoke.
1/4 teaspoon of water
Food coloring.

Beat the yoke and water together.
Divide it into different pools for different colors. My idea. If you don't have something to divide them up in use aluminum foil to make small, leek proof, cups.
use a small paint brush to paint on the cookies before you bake them.
I put the sprinkles on top of the painted cookies.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »
My grandmother used Crisco for all her baking and frying.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 05:09:07 pm »
Crisco is just "fully hydrogenated plant oil" where all the open carbon-carbon bonds are saturated with hydrogen.  It therefore is just a saturated fat, and has higher temperature for smoking and solidifies at room temp.  If eaten in moderation it is not a big deal, but I remember people getting away from it because it was "unhealthy".  It is like butter with no water content.  The fat-fads in cooking come and go.  EVO, Canola, Blends, margarine with omega fats... blah.
Anyone remember olestra-chips?  ;) ;) I can't forget.  Right up there with Sugar Free Haribo Gummy Bears (read the amazon reviews of it to get a laugh).

I plan on making a few cookies or something sweet for Christmas. But, come to think of it I do not have any more saturated fats on hand.
Maybe I could render Wanda down to lard?
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 01:36:26 am »
Jade, after reading your post I had to look at my can of Crisco.  :D A table spoon is only 19% of our daily saturated fat. Looks like someone things we still need it. Also found something worth mentioning. According to the instructions on this bucket-grease it's not meant to be used as a spread. Been using this stuff for 50 + years. Never thought of using it for that.  Until now.  :D

OK This old cookie recipe came from a cook book my mom got when she got married. The book "To the Bride". Original publishing date or 1956.

I made a salt variant as to not copy the recipe. Think quarter of a teaspoon.

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon backing powder
salt.

Pre heat oven to 350.
Grease cookie sheet.
In separate bowl mix flour, salt and backing powder thoroughly together.
Cream shortening and sugar together
Make room in the bowl. Add egg, vanilla and milk to this space and blend. Slowly mix this with the creamed mixture. Thoroughly mix till creamy.
Add dry ingredients and mix together. Cover and chill for a bit.
Roll out to a bit thicker than 1/8 of an inch on floured surface.
Cut to shape
Place on greased baking sheet about a half inch apart.
Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the sides are lightly golden brown.

To successfully get sprinkles to stick first brush with a mix of egg white and water before baking.

Tips.
I use parchment paper on the bottom of the baking sheet instead of grease.  I also add the sprinkles after I place them on the paper. Makes clean up a breeze. Yes you can re use the paper over again.
Roll  1/2 of the dough out on top of parchment paper. You will still have to use a bit of flour on the top of the dough. This helps to keep the dough from getting really stiff when you re roll it out again. 
Even after chilling this dough is brittle. I keep the cookie cutters in place wile I get the excess dough out of the way. Be really gentle when handling the raw cookies.

Going to make this again tonight. But use margarine instead of Crisco. In all the years I've made these cookies I've never tried this.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 04:17:56 am »
Want' able to make the cookies. No eggs. I need to get to the store.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 02:37:52 pm »
Not me, but my mother is fixing a baked ham and scalloped potatoes for Christmas dinner this afternoon.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 09:32:53 pm »
Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies! And in a few minutes some Shepherd's Pie with mashed potatoes and leftover stew meat! :3 I've been getting better about cooking meals from home since moving out of my old apartment.  :-[
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such