Author Topic: how did you find the furry fandom  (Read 14309 times)

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
Re: how did you find the furry fandom
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:10 pm »
I actually can't remember how I found out about the Furry fandom. I remember roughly what led me to become a Furry, but I knew of the basic idea of what a Furry is long before becoming one. I used to think Furries were weird because of the costumes some of the members of the fandom wear. I couldn't, at the time, understand WHY anyone would want to wear such a cumbersome looking costume. However, I eventually learned why Furries like to wear fursuits. And it took me becoming a Furry to understand why.

Now, how I became a Furry is quite a longish story. It started when I moved back in 2010. While I thought that dressing up as animals was strange, I was interested to see if anyone had made costumes of Pokemon. I came across CanineHybrid, and got into costuming. I started ordering faux fur samples, and thinking of costumes that I could make in the future. From this, I discovered Monoyasha and other well known costume makers. It was on one of these videos that someone replied to one of my comments and asked me if my fursona was a phoenix. You see, at the time I was going by TheRantingPhoenix. I didn't know what a fursona was, and the person mentioned that they thought that I had gotten the idea for my username from 2 the Ranting Gryphon. I hadn't since I didn't know who that was at the time, and so I decided to research him. Through him, I discovered Uncle Kage and eventually I decided to join the Furry fandom. Shortly afterwards I joined Furtopia.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 01:53:26 pm »
i
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:15:03 pm by Aliikaiokai »

Offline Rainy

• Species: Rabbit
  • Looking for more than dreams.
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 07:13:56 am »
When I was young I had an imaginary friend who was an anthro, doesn't seem too odd except he followed me through middle school, I grew up playing Spyro and Bandicoot so those are contributing factors. Then one day I saw some furry art, and I was intrigued by what it was, I liked it so I looked up 'furry' and many, many searches later I found out about the misconception and fandom of furries. I decided it was just bad rep. created by fake members and moved on. But after a year I had grown in liking anthros even more and reunited with the search of the word furry.

That night I realized I liked anthros and decided to be a furry, plus I like being a rebel. :P (hehe jk about that rebel part)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:15:55 am by Rainy »
No matter how bad the storm is, there's always a rainbow at the end.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »
Years ago, somebody on Maplestory (pre-Big Bang) had mentioned the fandom, so I casually looked into it and thought it was pretty cool. A few years later, I joined Furtopia.

Offline Plantan

• Species: The only Collie, Sugar Glider, Raccoon Hybrid
  • The sun is gone, but I have a light.
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:07 pm »
I found the fandom through an irl friend...and she has helped me so much...from fursonas to art to my fursuit Critter has been my main source of everything surrounding the fandom...and I fell in love with the forums, the people, and the fandom as a whole...
Inactive Here- Add me on Discord if you knew me in my active years on the forum :) - plantan0615

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Species: Red Fox
  • Your friendly neighborhood Red Fox! :)
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 07:55:06 pm »
I am one of the rare few who unofficially started with drawing the art first and understanding what it was later.
In fact, Wildhead used to be a cat! ( how odd would that be? )
Normal people look at things that are and ask, "Why?"
True innovators look at things that aren't and ask, "Why not?"

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
Discover the term over a decade ago through a episode of Modern Marvels of the (formerly) History Chanel dealing with body/self/spiritual modifications. Though I was rather too, shall we say shy and introverted to became active in really anything back then, also lacked a freely accessible internet connection due to parental paranoia and later immature loathing of all thing modern; so I basically lurked for years.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Elusive

• Species: Fox/Raven hybrid
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
For me it wasn’t until high school while I was taking a human physiology course that the trail to the discovery of the furry fandom began. In the course we had just finished going over the entirety of the human body, and the teacher started making comparisons between the structure of humans and cats. During this comparison I started to wonder how the hybrid of a human and canine would be constructed. I started with constructing the skeletal structure of the creature and once I felt that was done I started adding on more and more of the systems. After realizing I was getting distracted I set the idea aside until I got home. Once I got home a thought occurred to me, what would be the term for such a creature? After a quick Google search I found the term anthropomorphic, and after having my curiosity fulfilled I didn’t invest anymore time in the matter for about a year or two. In college at this point; I had nearly forgotten about this subject until one day when I was driving home and saw someone walking on the sidewalk wearing a pair of cat ears and a tail. That got me thinking, for what reason would someone wear such attire? Once I arrived home I did another Google search and found the term furry and its connection to the term anthropomorphic. After that you can probably guess.

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 09:55:36 pm »
I remember stumbling on a site called FA back in about 2008,and from there i liked the art,music and costuming

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 02:36:31 am »
I had always liked cartoon animals. I was (WAS) a Sonic fan and Crash Bandicoot fan. I discovered Crash when I came back to my dad's apartment from my mom's house and in my room was my ancient TV and a new PS2 Slim with Crash Bandicoot running and a controller sitting on my purple chair. Played Sonic and my SEGA Genisis. My cousins and some friends, who were 5-8 years older than me, had some art on display in their rooms. I loved the art, but was too terrible at drawing to attempt to draw one myself, even though I didn't know what it was at the time. Eventually, I found out about furries via YouTube. I can't remember how, but that is where I discovered the term. I watched an Australian guy explain what a furry is. From there, I googled for furry art, connected with it even more so than when I was younger, and listened to what other people's opinions on furries were. The way that Mythical Red Fox explains what a furry is is the best description I've heard of. There was one more person, who I can't remember the name of, who suggested his viewers to visit furtopia. A few months later, I looked up Fur Affinity (because that is what I though he said) and didn't like it. I found the video again, and looked up furtopia. I like furtopia much better than Fur Affinity and after a few days, I requested permission to join. And now, here I am. A proud member of the fandom. (I was 14 when I joined and now, four months later, I am 15 years old now.) I even drew a pencil image of my fursona and am currently writing a book about him.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 05:58:44 am »
While searching for pictures of foxes on the internet, I came across a message by someone saying something to the effect of "This site needs more fox pictures, but not those [bleep] furry kind."  I didn't know what they were talking about, but I couldn't see how something called "furry" could possibly be bad like they seemed to be indicating. So I did some research on it, and well... that eventually lead to me joining this place.   :) 

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:42 am »
I've know about it, then when I was 13 I actually became apart of it. 14 or 15 somewere around there I became more involved. That's about it nothing too special.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Annie1456

• Species: An anthro husky named Pastel
  • Yellow Yellow!
  • Female
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 06:06:59 pm »
I found the fandom while veiwing the top 10 weirdest fandoms/subcultures. I was interested, so I started looking into it. The more I looked the more I realized I was a furry, for as long as I can remeber I has always drawn anthros (though not very good..  :P) ...so yeah thats how I found the fandom....
-Annie or Pastel
-She/her
-Been here since 2015 but trying to be active again.

Offline Bronx

• Species: Anthro red and grey wolf
  • I listen to too much music.
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:58 am »
I found out about the fandom in April of this year when I was playing Left 4 Dead with my friend who had installed zombie skins. Apparently, one of these skins was an anthropomorphic lion, and he called it a furry. I searched the term later and was disgusted. However, over the next few months, I began to fight more and more with myself over if I was a furry (because I liked anthro animals but didn't want to be one since I believed all of the negative stereotypes.) Yet, one day, I searched the term legitimately and dispelled all of my wrong beliefs, so I finally accepted my furriness :D
www.youtube.com/craterwolf
Furry code: FCW3ad A- C- D H++ M- P+ R- T+++ W- Z- Sm- RLU a- cn++ e- f h* i++ p+ sm

Offline DoubleSwee

• Species: Feline
  • I'm Jacques, nice to meet you.
  • Male
    • FOXmcloud021 on DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 12:27:11 am »
I was always addicted to games like Star Fox and Daxter as a kid. I loved games with anthropomorphic animal protagonists, I have no idea why. Also, I watched Lion King and Robin Hood over and over as a young kid (back in the days when VHS's were popular!), it was hard not to like it. I feel like the furry fandom was planted in my brain from a young age. I never realized there was like a whole fandom based around it until about 3.5 months ago. I was on the ROBLOX forums and people started talking about the furry fandom on Off Topic forums. I started researching and I got too far into and now I am a furry. No regrets

:-[
DA: http://foxmcloud021.deviantart.com/

FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/foxmcloud021/

"Never stop drawing, the day you stop drawing is the day you die."
- Egoraptor

Offline FurryLovr123

• Species: Wolf
  • I just have a pashion for wolves, foxes, and dogs
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2015, 10:23:37 pm »
I am still a kid and I enjoy anthro-cartoons. When I was about 11 I got this app called IFunny and I found a furry and we talked. And he said that furries are a fandom and I was like  :o How do I become one?

Heterosexual/Not currently owning a fursuit/ Treat everyone like family/13 years old :p

Offline Rocco

• Species: German Shepherd
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »
I had been going through an extra rough time. One day the word furry popped into my head and I knew I needed to look on YouTube. I watched a video by Majira Strawberry, and I instantly knew I belonged. I believe it was God that made it pop into my mind.

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:15 pm »
Several factors converged which led me to the fandom late in life.

A long interest in wolves and foxes is probably the most significant factor. I had wolf-themed t-shirts and art, books on werewolves, and had tried to write werewolf stories. Last year I realized I was a furry and probably had been one for years and just never recognized it. I'd found a few links to the fandom before, mostly about fursuits and fursuit makers. I started lurking around fandom sites, including Furtopia, and eventually joined online. Early this year I became active in the local fur group and am now firmly a part of the fandom and fursuit owner. In less than a year I've gone from "well, maybe I'm a furry" to a fursuiter with multiple fur meets on the calendar..
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Namae

• Species: Vulpine (Fox)
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »
I had had a love for anthro characters and animals in general. However only recently has it become a large interest, thanks to this fandom.

I first heard of the fandom online, though when I asked what it was I got a surprising answer. Not a good answer either, making fun of how weird they are or something. Honestly after that I didn't think of it much, thinking it was just a weird and creepy part of the internet.

Recently due to me being into the MLP fandom I found out more about furries, as they were related. They actually didn't seem that bad, and I really loved the art and fandom for the most part. I joined it not too long ago, but I always loved foxes and other canids, dragons, reptiles, etc., and also "furry" kind too.

Foxes are definitely my favorite, but I love the other kinds too, as I just previously listed. Honestly I kind of thought it was weird in some cases to like "furry" characters before I knew about the community of it. I learned that it is a fun, cute, and generally positive community, even if there are a few of "those people.

Offline Light Blackwood

• Species: Boa & mamba
  • Obscurum
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
I was looking for some Jhon talbain, jedah pics from my favorite fighting game and then I saw some pics about were-wolves and furry realistic wolves. Then after searching more of that kind of pics I found some blogs and pages with the word "Furry", I decided to investigate and I found the fandom, it got my attention and after a couple of weeks navigating the web, I decided to join because I love the simple concept of anthro animals heh and always have like beasts/monsters, mythical and related stuff.