Author Topic: Eating Cheap  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Eating Cheap
« on: April 21, 2023, 04:21:43 pm »
Have you ever taken advantage of a salvage food store or food pantry? Hidden Harvest and similar surplus food pantries are in many areas. Some nationally-known and local thrift stores sometimes have surplus food for the taking.

Some friends of mine run a food pantry out of their church where my CAP squadron meets. The milk was awful, but the frozen chicken and steaks were just fine.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Eating Cheap
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 05:43:18 pm »
I have not taken advantage of those opportunities in my area. 
I'm sure most of it is fine, however.  Also I wouldn't be ashamed to do so, in fact it's s good way to not waste food. Our country wastes food.
But so far I'm the average dog going to store like the masses. 
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 07:41:40 pm »
I don't go to them much because they usually hand out stuff that I don't eat or I can't keep refrigerated because I don't have that kind of equipment.
But I'm not ashamed of going to such places. I don't pay attention to such stigmas.

On a similar topic though i am all about thrift stores! Love em to death. Best places to get nice clothes cheap.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 03:17:44 am »
Because I cook all my meals from scratch I already each cheap. Way cheaper than box meals. The upfront cost is more. But when you break it down to single meals it proves it's value. If I get stake for $18.00 and it breaks down to 10 meals that's $1.80 a meal. With vegies and home made bread I can estimate each meal costs me a bit over $3.00.

I've never been to one of those stores. I think we have one. No idea where.

Kay, LOVE thrift stores! Good yard sales and auctions. Most of my belongs have come from these. Except my cloths. I have a hard time wearing someone else's stuff.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 07:25:52 am »
I stumbled upon these food drops in my travels about town for my job. Usually, the offerings are produce and breadstuffs that are close to the sell-by date. Much of it being high-end fancier brand names. Managed to score some Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread for making French toast. (There was someone grabbing as much as she could fit in a grocery bag.) This--at a multi-purpose center in one of the townships.
Panera drops off their excess product at a senior activity center, but that's been a rare event of late. Last week, at a local thrift store, I scores brand name English muffins, free.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)