not-so-furry discussion > general non-furry discussion

Thunder rolls..

(1/3) > >>

Kobuk:
Quote: "I try to unplug my PC during electrical storms like that.".   I have a large "industrial strength" surge protector unit that Maximus gave me when he built my comp for me. Despite having this, I still unplug my comp during bad thunderstorms. I don't care how good a surge protector says it is, you shouldn't take any chances. Better to unplug everything than to end up with a bunch of crispy fried electronics.

Sporty Fox:
I'll back Maximus on this, all the manufacturer is banking on is that they'll sell enough of the high priced models to cover anything they pay out and still make a profit. There is way to much amperage in a lightning bolt for any surge protector to stop a direct hit, but the odds of a direct hit are extremely slim.
   I've seen sailboats with lightning surpressors on them have a hole blown clean thru the hull from a strike. The supressors used on large craft are huge capacitors with a 02 guage copper wire going to a ground plate on the outside of the hull. If that system can't disipate the strike than your small capacitor and 12 guage wiring in your home isn't going to.
  They're going to help in an indirect hit, but in a direct hit the only thing that will save your 'puter is unplugging it. BTW, my roommates 'puter got fried last year from an indirect strike. She didn't unplug hers, still doesn't no matter how many times I got after her for it.

anguis:
Quote (Maximus @ July 15 2004, 2:22 pm)Surge protectors will NOT help if the lightning strike was a direct hit to the power lines leading to your home... Too much voltage... I have seen remains of TV's that actually had the picture tube explode due to that...
well my good friend maybe you should check this out... *Surge Protectors* now im not saying that ALL of them protects against lightning because they are obviously very cheap equiptment out there, what im saying is most of them protects against it... and on that note they come with coverage from $1000 - $10000 (depending on model) worth of equiptment if they by any slim chance fail... just thought id share that with you...

e_rbstt

Maximus:
Was the PC hit by a lightning strike close to your home?

If it was, there might not much usable after that..

Surge protectors will NOT help if the lightning strike was a direct hit to the power lines leading to your home... Too much voltage... I have seen remains of TV's that actually had the picture tube explode due to that...

Seen blue lightning go from one outlet to another...

I try to unplug my PC's during electrical storms like that...

Maximus.

anguis:
i take it that you didnt use a surge protector...

e_rbstt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version