Author Topic: Iara's Writing Corner-Prompt Challenge!  (Read 31151 times)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
Re: Iara's Writing Corner-Prompt Challenge!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 08:50:02 pm »
I'm not going to lie, I absolutely adore your stories!
Keep up the stupendous work! :)
May I suggest a word?
Pandemonium perhaps?

I'm looking forward to see "concierge" !

Thank you WhiteAkitaKeiko! :) Your word pandemonium is next.

I'd like to enqueue a word that's inspired from a game that I've been marginally obsessed about recently, in which the will to keep going is literally the power to undo your own end (a pun presumably intended by the creator).  I'd like to enqueue the word "determination".

Thank you also, RedYoshi! I will write about determination after I finish pandemonium. :)
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 12:30:26 pm »
Was a very nice story for the word "Concierge"  Iara.. :orbunny:

Here is another word for when you have the time.. "esoterica"
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »
Iara looked out at the vast desert before her, the wind buffeting her feathers and assaulting her ears.

Everything was coated in swaths of mahogany sand. The onyx and crimson gravel beneath her clung to her toes in an irritating fashion. Only her bright emerald eyes stood out among the scenery, her plumage blending seamlessly into the shifting world around her.

She moved forward slowly, squinting to reduce the glare from the sun and the amount of grit in her eyes. Her nictitating membrane swept over her eyes to protect them as she trudged forward. She took ragged breaths through her nostrils, the dry and hot air instantly making them sting. She felt as if her throat had been stuffed full of fiddleheads, all itchy and suddenly dry.

The sun began to dip into the horizon as Iara made her way to the top of yet another wave of sand. She could no longer see the pawprints she was supposed to be following, and stopped for breath.

The wind finally abated. Iara adjusted her eyes, shaking her head free of the sand that now coated every scale and barb. She snorted and coughed, shook her whole body free of sand.

Iara looked down at the sea of sand beneath her. A series of jet black and crimson masses moved in rhythmic patterns, some stationary and others moving in a jerky fashion, as if they too were being buffeted around by the winds. As Iara’s eyes took in the scene, she realized she was staring at other avians.

A colony! she realized. At last, someone to speak to! Maybe they know how to get out of this place and to this Oasis…

Hopeful these new avians could help, Iara made her way carefully down the giant sand dune and toward the valley below.

By the time she arrived at the colony, the moon had risen and the once-mahogany seas of sand had become inky indigo. Iara stepped quietly among the sleeping avians, gazing at them curiously.

Each avian was only a few feet apart from the other. They sat on round ridges, which Iara instantly recognized as nests, with their wings spread wide over their individual areas. Iara noted their odd faces—each had incredibly large eyes, downturned and pointed beaks, and brightly colored, lumpy crests that extended from their nostrils toward the back of their heads. Some crests were an iridescent blue-green, and others neon orange with brown blotches. All of the avians had black feathers, and none were very attractive in that regard. Iara could not help but stare at them as she wandered toward the center of the colony.

Iara thought that the arrangement of the colony must be like her own—the alphas were in the center, so Iara moved toward the center, hoping to make contact with the leaders and gain their trust so she could get help.

Iara stopped at the center of the colony. Two avians nested beak to beak, their wings outstretched over their eggs protectively.

Iara blinked, watching them sleep. She noted one eye was half-open in the avian with the blue-green crest, gazing at her intently. It was a fierce red eye, with a knowing look to it, as if to say, I know what you’re up to!

“Psst!” Iara hissed softly to the blue-green crested avian.

The lid on its eye slowly lifted, exposing its full size. The large avian suddenly became alert, and squawked harshly, “Intruder! Intruder!”

Iara backed up slowly, spreading her primaries and lowering her body submissively. “No! No, I mean no harm, I just want—“

The large male woke his mate with his cries, along with all other avians in the colony. Iara found herself surrounded by open maws with stubby teeth, puffed feathers, and was soon assaulted by dozens of hissing, yowling, and booming sounds.

“Wait, please! I don’t mean to--!” Iara had no chance to speak, for she dodged a flying beak and angry cry of a vicious female avian with a neon orange crest. Another female aimed for her neck, its own neck swinging and beak rattling as it snapped it open and shut in a warning bite.

Iara found an opening as the colony began to close in on her, their charges and cries rising in temper. She bolted for it, bounding over an angry male’s head and body, and ran as fast as she could toward her lookout point above the valley.

“Quick quick!” a tiny cry met her ears as she fled. “Follow me! Follow follow! They will catch you and eat you! Feed you to their chicks! Quick!”

Iara veered off in the direction of the sound, having no choice but to trust it as the alphas of the colony led the charge.

“Inside! Inside!” the voice chattered, and Iara stopped before a hole in the sand, carefully constructed to prevent sand from accumulating in it.

Iara looked down, panicked. “I can’t fit in there!”

“Try! Try!!” the tiny voice urged. Iara felt a small head pushing against her ankles furiously, edging her toward the burrow.

Iara managed to stuff her head into the burrow, collapsing it on top of her neck. The tiny avian cried out in anguish as Iara scuffled into the sand, carving an entrance large enough for her to hide in. More tiny avians within the destroyed den chirruped and squealed in fright, huddling together as Iara wedged her way into their living space.

Suddenly, the wind began to pick up speed, hurtling sand and debris in every direction. The infuriated colony ceased their chasing, returning in pure panic to their nests, trying desperately to protect their offspring.

It was too late.

The colony shut their eyes, hovering over their nests and crying out in fear. The sandstorm howled over the ridge, bringing a deluge of sand and mud with it. Iara watched in horrified fascination, paralyzed. The tiny avians were mute, shivering and afraid.

How can so much pandemonium arise from nothing? Iara thought as the storm continued throughout the night, eventually fading by dawn. No trace of the colony existed—only sand and mud remained, entombing them with their offspring forever. Iara shuddered.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 07:41:42 pm »
Was a very nice story for the word "Concierge"  Iara.. :orbunny:

Here is another word for when you have the time.. "esoterica"

Thank you Old Rabbit!

Next up is determination, and then I will write a story for esoterica.

Thank you for your readership and patience!
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2016, 12:23:49 am »
Determination

The blue and gold lance struck him hard in the breastplate, and he fell to the dirt with a whoosh and a clang, the Queen’s favor fluttering around his arm.

The challenger, a bay charger stallion, whinnied his triumph to the cheering crowd, hoisting his lance skyward with a smirk.

The black destrier stallion lay in the dirt, his head spinning beneath the crushing weight of his armor. He had been struck down twice by the challenger, and began to feel as if all hope was lost. His energy was slipping away as the sun sank lower in the evening sky. The flapping of the banners and the radiant cries of the audience thundered in his ears.

He groaned, his chest burning from the hit. He struggled to move his arms, and then noted the pale purple favor his Queen had bestowed on him through his visor. My Queen, the stallion thought. The melanistic jaguaress in her elegant, sheer gown, her sleek mahogany hair falling past her shoulders…she planted a soft kiss on his broad cheek and wrapped her scarf around his arm the night before, and the thought flooded his memory. I cannot fail her now! I am honor bound…

The black destrier huffed and grunted, pain searing through his body as he struggled to sit up. The Queen and King watched from their stand anxiously. The Queen fidgeted with her new silver necklace, her eyes pleading with her fallen knight to stand and face the challenger once more.

The challenger whirled around to see the fallen knight on the opposite side of the arena. He tossed his neck beneath his helmet and grinned. “Don’t bother to get up, dear ser,” the bay knight called out to the black and the hushed audience. The bay’s squire handed off a sword in exchange for the lance and dashed out of the way. “Unless you want a trial by combat…?”

The question hung in the air. The black destrier finally managed to get on his paws and knees. Sweat soaked his coat as he shakily stood on his hind hooves. His squire stood by, a sword in paw and anxiety clear to see on the young goat’s face. The black destrier, breathing heavily, looked up at his Queen, awaiting her response.

The Queen clapped her paws together once. The audience roared, eager to see what they believed would be a short and bloody fight.

The squire rushed over to his knight, his hooves trembling as the knight gripped the sword. “My Lord, you are not well…this fight is over…please forfeit!” the goat bleated.

The black destrier spat, lifting his visor. The Andalusian bloodline made his nose large but his eyes were warm and kind. His forelock was matted with sweat, his coat twitching, and his mouth frothed. But the destrier was determined to beat the challenger, no matter the cost.

“Make way, squire,” was all the destrier could say. The squire bleated again and fled.

The challenger swung his sword in a circle, dancing to and fro on his small, tan hooves. “We meet again! Tell me, is your Queen as beautiful as your end will be?”

“Speak ill of her, and it is your end they will cheer for,” the destrier grunted as the two stallions’ swords clashed.

The two knights fought well, the bay dancing in and out of the path of the destrier’s sword, and the destrier managing to hit the bay across the shoulders and back on multiple occasions. The evening stars lit the sky and the knights continued their pacing by torchlight. The audience watched the swordplay with bated breath—never before had a tourney been taken so seriously.

The bay stallion pinned the black destrier beneath his blade, pressing hard against the other’s sword. They were locked in a deadly struggle, using all of their remaining strength against one another.

“Rumors abound,” the bay whispered, trying to throw the black destrier off balance. “They say you love the Queen…”

“I fight for her honor,” the black destrier snorted through gritted teeth, pushing against the weight of the bay and the flat of his sword.

“Honor and valor, hmph,” the bay grinned wickedly. “Some say…you fight for so much more…”

“Gahh!” the black destrier pushed harder than ever before, breaking the stance and facing the bay charger. The two paced around one another slowly, their armor hindering their speed and sapping their strength considerably.

The bay swung his sword at the destrier’s breastplate. The destrier blocked the blow just in time and managed to swipe at the bay’s legs. The bay danced away, slashing at the destrier’s back.

The bay’s sword sliced through the destrier’s beautiful wavy tail, leaving a shortened mass of fuzz.

Dodging and parrying, striking and slashing. The bay’s visor was cut, and the destrier’s greaves were damaged. Finally, the destrier pinned the bay beneath his blade, in reverse from where they were  before.

“What say you, ser?” the destrier huffed. “Do you give up?”

“N-n-never,” grunted the bay.

The two stallions groaned, their bodies shaking under the effort and from the weight of their armor.

The bay shifted his weight slightly to his left, to keep from falling. The destrier saw his chance.

With a colossal shove, the destrier pressed the bay toward his left side. The bay faltered, and the destrier pressed his blade against the bay’s neck.

“Enough!” the Queen shouted. The audience watched in mute fascination as the black destrier’s eyes met his Queen’s. He pulled away from the challenger and thrust his sword into the dirt of the arena, bowing before his Queen, his body shaking violently.

“The winner!” the announcer raised the destrier’s paw into the air, forcing him to stand. His squire pressed against his side, allowing him to stand weakly.

The audience cheered as the challenger limped out of the arena. The King followed, returning to his chambers. The Queen lifted her skirts and padded into the arena as the crowd dispersed. She gazed sternly at the black knight.

“You stubborn fool,” she hissed, narrowing her blue eyes at him.

“Your Grace,” the knight nickered, a grin plastered all over his muzzle as his helmet was removed by his attendants.

“I thought we agreed you would go into exile,” she continued as the knight was tended to.

“I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving your side, your Grace,” the knight winced as a wine soaked rag was applied to his wounds. “I earned your favor, and I had to honor it.”

“A tourney is no way to honor your service!”

“It is the best way, begging your pardon, your Grace,” the squire piped up. The Queen glared at the goat, who trembled and rushed to gather the knight’s armor.

“I must stay. It would give me no greater honor than to serve as part of your Guard again. Didn’t the tourney show that?”

The Queen considered the knight’s words. Then,

“You are determined. I will give you that.” She looked away, toward her castle, as she said, “Arrive in the Courtyard on the morrow. Keep your favor, ser.”

The Queen swept off after her King. The knight sighed, watching her leave. He gazed fondly at her favor, and then, helped by his squire, limped off the dirt of the arena to an inn for the night.
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:37 am »
My my such determination. One wonders how many knights met their end in such foolish games
of honor..

Nicely written Iara  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 12:28:13 pm »
Thank you, Old Rabbit!  (:

Esoterica is the last word in my queue, and then I will be open to receive more words or phrases!  (:
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2016, 12:11:58 pm »
We can't have you running out of words Iara. :orbunny:

How about "perfunctory"   I think it's a new one anyway.

Perhaps you should put a list of the words you have done at the
beginnning of this thread..

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 11:54:27 am »
I don't have a particular word for you to use, but rather something else to challenge your creativity. ;) Can you write a story around the dialogue I wrote in Post # 8 here:
http://forums.furtopia.org/general-furry-discussion/how-do-you-think-humans-would-treat-real-furries/msg1032769/#msg1032769

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
I don't have a particular word for you to use, but rather something else to challenge your creativity. ;) Can you write a story around the dialogue I wrote in Post # 8 here:
http://forums.furtopia.org/general-furry-discussion/how-do-you-think-humans-would-treat-real-furries/msg1032769/#msg1032769

That would be interesting. I second Kobuks request. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »
Listing the words/phrases at the beginning of the thread is a great idea! Thanks Old Rabbit!

I will post Esoterica, followed by Perfunctory and Kobuk's idea.... (:

Thanks for your readership!  :D
Furry Code:

My art and such

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 01:31:15 am »
Esoterica

“This is boring,” whined the tiger-wolf cub as he walked with his mother and auntie into the exhibits of the museum.

“Shush,” the tigress admonished the disinterested cub in a sharp whisper. The marble floors and columns reflected the spotlights and echoed his lament. The halls were quieter than usual as the sun began to set, the crowd emptying out before the museum closed.

The jaguaress, his auntie, stared at the dinosaur specimens in a knowing way, as if they were old friends. Really old friends, the cub reflected, remembering that most dinosaurs were extinct.

The jaguaress knelt next to the wiggling cub and murmured, “I used to come here often when I was your age.”

“That must’ve been way before the iPhone,” he glumly retorted.

“Well, unlike an app, these dinosaurs were real,” she went on, hoping to catch the cub’s curiosity.

“Meh,” the cub shrugged. “Come on auntie, we’ve been here so many times! Why can’t we just go to Disneyland like all the other cubs in my school?”

“Because these dinosaurs have a secret no Disney character has,” the jaguaress grunted.

“And Disneyland’s prices are outrageous,” the tigress muttered to the jaguaress.

“What secret is that? They’re dead, and dusty, and old!” the cub sat on a bench near a looming Tyrannosaurus rex skull.

“In each of these dinosaurs is a special code, one only a few can understand,” the jaguaress whispered to the cub. Despite himself, his eyes began to go wide.

“You can scan these with your phone?!”

“…no,” the jaguaress grinned. “It’s more of…a secret you learn in a special society…”

“Oh,” the cub thought. “A nerd club. The nerds at my school get bullied, auntie. I don’t want that!”

“I was a part of that society once,” the jaguaress went on, determined to keep his flagging interest.

“What’d you do? Get kicked out?” the cub wondered, half teasing, half serious.

“When you came along, I attended less and less,” she explained. “But I still know the secrets, still know the codes, still understand the beasts before you.”

“How did you get in this society in the first place? Weren’t you a cub? I thought only grown ups could be in a society. And why is it a secret, anyway? This stuff’s dead—that’s not a secret to me!”

The jaguaress smiled. “I thought you weren’t interested. You said yourself this place is boring, with just a bunch of dead animals.”

“Hey, I didn’t say dead stuff wasn’t cool,” the cub replied, defensive. “It’s just seeing the same old dead stuff over and over again. That’s not cool.”

“What if I told you this secret lets me see these dinosaurs differently every time I come here?”

“What? That’s not possible. What’s here is here, and what’s dead is dead.”

“True,” the jaguaress admitted. “But every time I visit, I learn something new in my society, another piece to the puzzle. You like to solve puzzles, right?”

“Duh,” the tiger-wolf cub rolled his eyes, remembering how he beat the crossword in a few minutes on his tablet that morning.

“Each of these dinosaurs has its own set of codes, and each is a piece of a much bigger puzzle. That bigger puzzle includes you—“ she pointed a paw at him gently, “—and me.”

“Auntie, we’re not dinosaurs,” the cub shook his head. He waved his paws around the room. “Those are!”

“If you want to know more, all you need to do is look at them,” the jaguaress tilted her head behind her toward the dinosaurs on display.

“All I see are dusty bones,” the cub huffed, setting his chin on his paws, hugging the railing.

The jaguaress laughed gently. “One day you will learn more about your own bones, and then when you see these bones for the millionth time, maybe something will click.”

“What happens then?”

The jaguaress whispered, “A door will open, and a path will be ready for you…if you wish to take it.”

The tiger-wolf cub tossed and turned in his dreams that night.

He was older, and anxiously stood before a group of black robed elder furs whose faces and species he couldn’t recognize. He was in a small, dimly lit room, much like the halls of the museum. He held a manuscript in his paws, and was shaking. He was awaiting their verdict.

A door in the wall on the right side of the room opened. His auntie, white haired and wizened, beckoned to him, whispering, “Come on!”

Before the tiger-wolf could join her, the dream dissipated. He sat up in the darkness, panting and whimpering.

His aunt peeked her head into the room, softly grunting, “Are you all right, little one?”

“It’s just a bad dream, is all…” the cub tried to reassure himself. His auntie sat next to him, squeezed his knee.

“What was it about?”

“It’s…it’s like the stuff you were saying earlier…about a door…I was gonna go through it, and then I woke up…”

“What was so bad about it?”

“I was really scared…there were all these grown ups judging me…and I was a grown up too…I had this paper…like homework…and they were gonna decide whether I was passing or failing…”

“Ah, you had a premonition.”

“What is that?”

“It’s…it’s when you know something will happen before it really does.”

“Like when I know I aced an exam?”

“Sort of!” the jaguaress nodded. “But you’ve dreamed something that might happen to you in the future.”

“…will it?” the cub wondered, leaning into his auntie for a hug. “Will I go through this door?”

“Once you do, there is no turning back.”

The cub shook himself, and the jaguaress hugged him again.

“It’s just a dream, sweetheart,” she murmured. “Try and get some sleep, huh?”

The cub watched his auntie leave. Then, he called out, “Wait!”

“Yes?”

“Will I be a part of that society you talked about? Is that who was judging me?”

The jaguaress smiled. “Time will tell.” The tiger-wolf’s cubs went wide, and the jaguaress murmured, “You will be judged fairly, and if you pass, you can go through the door, like I did.”

“What’s on the other side?”

The jaguaress paused. She sat next to the cub again, tucking him into bed, soothingly petting his hair.

“Nature’s secrets and wonders…however you choose to see them.”

“Huh?”

“Think of a beautiful landscape…something soothing…something that makes your heart leap when you see it…and think of something you’re doing in school that makes you happy. Now, envision yourself doing that happy thing for the rest of your life, in that beautiful place. Whenever you’re sad, or scared, I want you to return to that place, especially before you go to sleep.”

The cub grew sleepy listening to the jaguaress’ soft voice. He yawned. “Is that what’s behind the door?”

“Yes.”

“I guess…that’s not so scary…after all…”
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »
Well done as usual Iara.   

You have told us your a teacher. Just curious if your an
english teacher?  :orbunny:

We all can benifit by knowing our history. When I was a young
fellow I had the idea that we were smarter than those before
us, but I finally learned by reading that we aren't any different
other than the knowledge we have learned. It's also possible
that we are only relearning some of what was known in the ancient
past.
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2016, 12:34:24 am »
Thank you, Old Rabbit!

I'm a geology teacher (at the community college level), but I appreciate the compliment all the same.  :-[

Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 12:50:39 pm »
Thank you, Old Rabbit!

I'm a geology teacher (at the community college level), but I appreciate the compliment all the same.  :-[

That is interesting. You are a good writer though. I imagine studying to be a
teacher required a good understanding of writing. After all a teacher needs to
know how to communicate well.

I enjoy your writing, Keep up the good work. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2016, 02:05:43 pm »
Thank you! :) Your continued readership has kept this post alive...thanks!

And before I started college, one of my life goals was to become a writer, in particular a fiction writer. I loved fantasy novels by McCaffrey and Tolkien (later on Martin and Asimov) and started writing when I was young. I also illustrated the books I wrote, and I still draw from time to time. Writing, art and spelling were my strengths in grade school and high school, and they carried me through college. I'm glad I can share some of my stories and work with you all on Furtopia--it keeps my hobbies going and my heart light too. :)
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
That is interesting Iara.. I always enjoyed reading, even as a child.  My parents
read to me when I was only a toddler. I suppose that's where I gained my love
of reading. Perhaps even my love of animal stories too.

I wish I had taken more of an interest in English when I was in grade and high
school. Though I enjoyed reading I didn't think about writing. About 20 years
ago, partly due to some vision loss. I decided I would like to learn how to write.

It's one thing a person can do even with poor or no vision at all. :orbunny:

I have a few books on writing, so I probably know enough to think I know
more than I do.  :D

I found some more interesting words in. Lewis Carroll's "Through the looking glass."
A interesting read actually. It's rather silly of course, but has interesting characters
much like "Alice in Wonderland" I like books with female lead characters, wither
they be furry or not. These are a nice study for anthro animal characters.

I look forward to more of your work.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:41:47 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:06 pm »
*waits patiently for my story*

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 02:24:53 am »
Perfunctory

The cold winds of winter howled outside her den. Her kit snuggled alongside her for warmth, and she drew the little one close.

She smeared the window with a tiny pink paw, her whiskers translucent and quivering.

She sighed. Today will be like any other day…

She bundled herself and the wakened kit slowly, begrudgingly. How many hours had she worked this week? They all seemed to blur together, from the time she pattered down the cold concrete to the time she punched out for the long day.

Every day was the same routine—dragging her reluctant kit out the door, which nearly slammed on her petite pink tail, locking it tight, rushing past the larger citizens to the side streets, dodging the drunk alley cats and mangy canine panhandlers, skittering into the brightly colored bakery just in time. She then set to work, donning a bright blue apron alongside the other mice, rushing to and fro, mixing dough, setting frosting, baking cakes. Every minute was a rushed one, every moment her heart was heavy.

Today will be like any other day…

The bell to the shop rang just as she had set another cake in the oven. The shrew family reunion had doubled in size, and she was already exhausted.

The usual hustling and bustling suddenly ceased. Her coworkers froze in place, their eyes wider than usual. She stopped work to see what all the fuss was about.

Her jaw fell open and her eyes lit up as they took in a bundled jaguar, his green and ocher eyes sad.

He too had seen too many similar days. Perhaps the bakery was a reprieve from the rat race. Cat race? Whatever species…all they knew was how to be busy!...especially in a big city.

Her nose twitched, taking in his scent. Her big brown eyes sparkled.

“A jaguar! What is he doing here?!” her coworkers gasped in fright.

“He’ll harm our kittens!” one of her loudmouth coworkers howled, clutching her kits close in fear.

“I’ve seen him before…” she muttered to herself, more loudly than intended.

“What?!” another coworker gasped.

“Yes…yes I have seen him on the subway….I think he works near the museum or something…”

“Humph! He should know better than to be here! We’re not his type!”

“Mama, what does she mean?” her kit whimpered.

“Hush,” she stroked her kit’s ear gently. “Some grown ups have no idea what they are talking about.”

“Oh, is that so?!” the outraged coworker slammed her spatula down perfunctorily, slopping frosting all over the counter. “You have some nerve, Elodia! You call yourself a mouse?!”

“My mama is a mouse with the heart of a lion!” her kit defended her proudly.

“Cats are cats, through and through. They’ll turn on all of us, just you wait, kid. Someday you’ll end up on the menu!”

“Be quiet!” Elodia snarled. “All of you!” The bakery fell silent. The mice peeked over the counter at the seated jaguar, whose eyebrows were raised as he stared at them while reading the paper.

“I’ll talk to Cupcake,” another brave coworker broke the awkward silence. “She’ll know what to do!”

The order was called out, and Elodia took it. She kneaded some dough, layering it and curving it into the familiar crescent shape. She set it into the oven, watched it darken to a golden brown. She took it out, and let her coworkers plate it. She watched as they slopped the hot water for his tea into his mug. She scolded them, insisting he get better service.

“Who cares? He’s probably already eaten,” the loudmouth huffed.

“How do you know?” Elodia challenged. “You shouldn’t treat him different just because he’s a big cat.”

“Bah,” the coworker rang the bell for delivery to the jaguar’s table. “What, you got a crush on the guy?”

“No,” Elodia murmured, gathering up her dishes and setting them into the sink. “It’s only fair he gets treated well. Who knows? He might become a regular!”

“Keep dreamin’, sweetheart,” the coworker chuckled derisively while cleaning a mug.

Elodia whispered to her kit, “I think we should do something special for him. He seems in a bad way.”

“I know! I could make him a cupcake!”

“That’s a wonderful idea! Hurry, before he decides to leave! You know the recipe?”

“It’s all in here!” her kit pointed to her head then her heart as she gathered the ingredients and set to work.

Her kit rushed over to the jaguar just as he was about to leave the bakery, tugging on his jacket.

Elodia watched the jaguar gaze affectionately at her little one, the cupcake enormous in her tiny pink paws. For a split second, the jaguar’s eyes met Elodia’s. For a split second, her heart stopped.

He devoured the cupcake after musing over it, and her kit rushed into her arms.

“Mama, mama, he loves it! He does!” she squealed excitedly to her exhausted mother.

“I know, little one,” Elodia held her kit close. “I know.”

The bakery seemed less perfunctory after the jaguar’s impromptu visit, and from then on the days no longer blended together for Elodia.
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 01:25:08 pm »
Now mice would likely find it hard to do business as usual under
those conditions.  :D

Nicely written as usual Iara.  Fits Perfunctory well. :orbunny:

A new word "polyglot"

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:30:14 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 09:45:21 pm »
Conventional Wisdom

The fox yawned, blinked sleepily. The sunlight peeked through his tightly drawn blinds. He looked at his alarm clock reluctantly.

It was already 5 A.M.!

He leaped out of bed and hurried to his bathroom. He hastily brushed his fur while brushing his teeth, all the while checking his watch.

He hopped around his tiny apartment, zipping up his pants and tossing on a tee shirt that read “FURS RUIN EVERYTHING.”

He then rushed out the apartment door, nearly forgetting his keys.

He hurried into the street…to discover he didn’t quite know where he was.

He turned back to his apartment complex. That certainly looked the way he remembered it—a dingy, six story confused mess of cramped places and any number of species.

He then turned to the street again. He checked his watch, tilted and scratched his head.

People were crammed along the city sidewalk, in a hurry to their next destination. People, as in humans.

Humans have been extinct for centuries! the fox thought as he shuffled into the sidewalk to join the crowd. His size was the same as the other humans, which relieved him somewhat—at least he wasn’t a mouse to be trampled!

He hurried along to the subway with most of the crowd, and snuck into a train car in the back.

He sat next to a human mother and her young child. The little girl smiled at the fox, who smiled back, a little unnerved.

The mother pulled her daughter close, glaring at the fox, and edged away from him.

The fox shrugged. Their reactions seem typical enough…

The train stopped an hour later. The fox wandered into a coffee shop, ordered a black coffee, and sat down. The chairs were uncomfortable—he had to stuff his tail through them, and the seat was small.

His order was called out. He went to stand up—and nearly took the chair with him! Embarrassed, the fox tugged his tail free. He abashedly paid for the coffee and left. The barista stared at the money he handed her—and she pushed the emergency button under the counter before the next customers came up.

The fox sipped his coffee, continuing his walk along the street.

A middle aged couple saw the fox approaching as they walked on the opposite side of the street.

"Oh, look, dear. It's one of those people known as furries. He’s in costume too. There must be a convention nearby."

" Wow, that sure is a realistic costume! I can’t even tell where the seams are! Let’s go talk to him."

The couple ambled across the street just as the fox neared the crosswalk.

“Ahem! Hello! Hello in there!”

“Huh?” the fox blurted, confused. He stopped his walk, having been cornered by the couple.

“Oh, hello!” the lady began, thrilled. Her eyes lit up as she saw the fox up close. “Do you speak?”

“Of course I can, lady!” the fox put his paws on his hips, annoyed. He was already late for work, and these two weren’t helping any!

“Let me try, dear,” her husband continued. “Hello! Do..you…speak…like…us?”

The fox raised an eyebrow. “Yes! Yes I do! Don’t you two have somewhere to be?”

“I guess he must be in character,” the lady went on, ignoring the fox. “You must be headed to the convention, huh?” She patted the fox’s head as if he were a dog.

“Hey hey hey! Hands off the merchandise!” the fox pulled away from her, fixing his mussed fur. “I just brushed it all down this morning.”

“Hey, um…honey?” her husband murmured, having given the fox the once over.

“Yes, dear?”

“I…I don’t know. This costume…it just…looks so…real!”

“HEY!” the barista from the coffeeshop shouted. “HEY YOU! IN THE FOX OUTFIT! YOU BETTER PAY UP, OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!”

The fox grinned sheepishly at the bewildered couple. “Got to go!”

He ran from the barista, his paws hitting pavement faster than he had run in ages. The wail of sirens met his ears as he pushed past the sea of humans.

“I need to find my way back home,” he muttered as he ran. The barista caught her breath at the corner, and the fox took the chance to double back toward the subway.

He leaped on to the open train car in the back just as two angry policemen barged through the crowd, looking for the fox.

The subway train finally stopped near his apartment complex.

The fox ran up the stairs, fumbled with his keys. The door opened the minute he fit the key in the lock.

No humans were inside. The room was as he had left it.

He locked the door, just in case. No pounding on it from the policemen…

He sighed, relieved. Then, a forceful knock jarred him from his complacency.

The fox swallowed hard. “Who is it?”

“Open up! Police!”

The fox sidled up to the door, breathing hard. “What do you want?”

“What do you mean, ‘what do you want’?” was the irritated, muffled reply through the door.  “I want you to open this door! Open up right now!”

“Are you human?”

“What?!”

“Answer me! Are you human?”

There was a pause. The fox reached for his taser, and began to sweat in fear.

“Humans have been extinct for centuries. Why would you ask? Come on, just open the door already! I forgot my keys.”

The fox threw open the door, dropping his taser and hugging the rabbit in the doorway.

“Oh, I am so glad things are back to normal!”

“Yeah…uh…sure. Can I get my keys now, or are you gonna taze me?”

“Here you go, kid. Thanks.” The fox kissed the bunny’s cheek. The bunny touched it, blushing.
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2016, 12:59:52 pm »
That was a nice story Iara. I can imagine what an anthro fox would run
into in a world like ours. Especially if he couldn't communicate with us.

Thought maybe the fox woke up from a dream when the rabbit knocked
on his door. Then so happy to find his world hadn't changed after all.

Thanks for sharing. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2016, 09:38:34 pm »
Thank you, Old Rabbit! Your word polyglot is next!  (:
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »
Almost forgot. :orbunny:  Here is another word Iara.. "scintillate"

I checked your list. So I am pretty sure it's new.

Do Beag L. Howler's word before this one.  I can wait. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:06:00 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Beag L. Howler

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 02:28:20 pm »
These short stories are great. If I may request one, I'd like to see how you do with the word "notorious."