Author Topic: Carnivores & Omnivores in a Furry world...  (Read 9826 times)

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
Carnivores & Omnivores in a Furry world...
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »
What is your take on the idea of carnivorous and omnivorous diets in a hypothetical furry world? What do you think they would eat, would there be feral animals of the same background as Anthros? What alternatives to their current diets would there be?

I'd just like to know what everyone else imagines they would be like. ^_^
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: Carnivores & Omnivores in a Furry world...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »
It depends on the variety of species in your hypothetical furry world.  After all if one included
all animals, birds, and marine creatures in the mix there wouldn't be much to eat except insects or
plants.  The simplest solution would be the Star Trek Food replicator.. A rabbits best friend.  :D

The big problem with feeding on feral species in a furry world would be how to draw the line
between feral and not. Would we as furries eat ferals because they are antisocial or less intelligent?
Or because they couldn't defend themselves?  Of course like our world it's all about survival.

Since a furry world would generally be anthropomorpic.  Housing and transport shouldn't be
much different than with humans. Of course baths would need to enclude large fur drying
equipment and other special designs for individual anatomy.

I leave it to others for more details. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:14:46 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
I agree with Old Rabbit, that it would depend heavily on the variety of species in the world.

In a mostly canine/feline world, probably a lot of avians, fish, pork, rabbits, and maybe even some equines (or whatever the overarching category would be for cows/buffalo/bison/horse).

In a hugely diverse world, it's very hard to imagine one species allowing its "feral" counterpart to be eaten, but then what would be eaten? Would one animal's milk or other products be acceptable?
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:34 pm »
I've kept mine to a minimum. But still playing in the part of herbivore and carnivores. A wolf would want to eat more meat than a rabbit. But both would share the same table and meal. There are herd animals such as the cows and sheep. Plus fish and other meat animals that are consumed.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Razmina

• Species: Sea Otter
  • Aim for the shins!
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:01:45 pm »
My idea is that they'd eat tasty monster creatures that don't have thought or reason or anything like that.
Like the Monster Hunter games perhaps!
I'd imagine that kind of world would be troublesome for a few species that are sentient that appear frightening.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11025482/  <my spot on FurAffinity (I don't go there any more though) with the original link for my avatar/s of Razmina formerly known as Vivido Rainrite
Posted for anyone who wants to know the artists!

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:46:32 am »
If it can't defend itself, i kill it and eat it.

If it can defend itself, i hunt it and eat it.

Best hope you're entertaining enough to keep around as something other than a snack.
 :goldbloody:

Offline Nyte Kitsune

• Species: Black and White Kitsune
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 11:10:43 am »
Hmm....  I'd have to say in the case of a "Furry" world where "Animals"  other than primates evolved into bipeds, I'd have to say it very likely that only some species of each group would evolve and domestic animals wouldn't likely exist at all most were bred by man from their "Wilder" cousins. That said, some species may or may not have evolved at all and remained identical to what we know. So diet wise things would likely be very similar, "Carnivores" and "Omnivores" would likely have similar diets, with a carnivore eating less vegetables, but otherwise the same diet. Herbivores would likely avoid meat, but, like any society even they might "Occasionally" eat meat, but would likely see it distasteful.

I think the Author, Kyell Gold (Furry Gay Erotica) has written some great stories, and if you have an open mind about the gay community and erotica, his world settings give you the right "Feel" for what it might be like in a furry world and even if you're not into that kind of thing I'd still suggest reading his books as his books are very story driven and well written.
"Nose to the wind, I go!"

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »
In one fury webcomic, the non-herbivores ate Spam.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Feuerfuchs

• Species: Kitsune (Gray Fox)
  • Ein klein Fuchs bin ich.
  • Male
    • Furry Network
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 05:15:30 pm »
Hmm....  I'd have to say in the case of a "Furry" world where "Animals"  other than primates evolved into bipeds, I'd have to say it very likely that only some species of each group would evolve and domestic animals wouldn't likely exist at all most were bred by man from their "Wilder" cousins.

Those are some decisive details. If we're assuming a future world in which all animals have evolved to become sapient bipeds, then the most ethical answer would be to assume that a vegan diet would be standard. If there are any groups of animals, however, that were excluded from this--insects, perhaps--we would likely readily exploit them as a resource, due to their inability to object or reserve consent for what is being done to them, as is the case with most other species we refer to as animals today.

As a feral, if I lived in a world in which there were still partially evolved species, or some entirely the same as they are today, I would abide by the Darwinist principles that we currently ascribe to the natural world. If I encounter a creature that's smaller and weaker than I am, I'll eat it; if a larger species, such as a coyote, a wolf, or a mountain lion, finds me, I'll assume its intent is to do the same to me.

We'll see creation come undone,
These bones that bound us will be gone.
We'll stir our spirits 'til we're one,
Then soft as shadows we'll become.

Offline Fleeyock

• Species: Sheep
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »
Assuming it is a modern stable civilized society (sorted out after a long and violent history I'm sure), they would have devised a way to non-violently synthesize the meat of other animals via a scientific means, and this is accepted vs. the alternative.  It would mean not having to kill each other for food/self-defense all the time. After all, the most advantageous evolutionary trait is working together. The human traits (e.g. the ability to reason) put them above the simple dog-eat-dog mentality, and the consumption of others would be widely regarded as violent crime.

Offline JaieyEcco

• Species: Bat/Wolf
  • Usually unusual
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:15:18 pm »
Well, there is a cartoon out there called BoJack Horseman (a little adult, but I would recommend it), taking place in the kind of anthro world we might think of. There was one episode that dealt with this issue, about a chicken that escaped from the farm. In the episode, they explained the difference between a "friend chicken", which you might see on the streets, and a "food chicken". The food chicken was bred to be dumber, and was pumped full of hormones, much like chickens in the human world, just bigger and anthropomorphic. It seemed a little inhumane, but in a world that still had humans and carnivores, it wouldn't be much of an option for everyone to be vegetarian. We did see what happened when PETA tried to make a lion vegan.
My idea is that they'd eat tasty monster creatures that don't have thought or reason or anything like that.
Like the Monster Hunter games perhaps!
I'd imagine that kind of world would be troublesome for a few species that are sentient that appear frightening.
I've never thought of that before, that seems like an interesting solution! Especially if there was a group of furries that really liked those monsters, anthropomorphised them, and dressed up like them at MonsterCon. X3

Offline Honey Bun

• Species: Bunny
  • Scurry Furry Fury!
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 02:24:53 am »
To be honest, I haven't given it much thought. ^_^'

I like the monster concept. XD But normally I don't think about where furry food comes from... I kinda just assumed there were still feral animals that were eaten, and people just didn't eat their own species. >.>'

I also assumed the anthros would or could have stomachs more similar to humans, and that while they needed more of some specific things in their diets (rabbits need more veggies, wolves need more meat, etc.), any of them were capable of being omnivores should they choose to live that way. I'm a bunny and so I'd eat a lot of veggies and such (and fruit, cuz I can), but I'm not opposed to being a bunny who eats burgers now and then. :P
*hops away*

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »
Rabbits vote for vegi's  :D and it's actually the smart way to go.

On a planet such as ours or perhaps one with anthropomorphic animals. The consumption of
meat is a most inefficient way to use natural resources to generate energy for biological creatures.
Encluding humans.

Most plant varieties we eat have good conversions from solar to sugars that
keep us moving. 

Meat however requires an animal to eat plants that are ineffeciently converted
to the meat we then eat. The animal uses up much of the plant energy while living.
Not counting the gases explelled that pollute the atmosphere. Of course those
could be used for heat and cooking.

Unfortuantly there are some creatures who's digestion is mostly dependant on meat
protiens, and they would be in great difficulty trying to get by on a vegi diet.

I think there will enventually be a shift to more vegetarian diets. Except possibly for sea foods which
is generally good for creatures who can digest or eat meat to live.

In ancient times people ate a lot of vegetables and fish. Before man started farming, meat was mostly
gathered from wild animals. Along with fruits and berries where possible. It's actually only over the
last 150 years that meats like beef have become a staple. Of course chicken and other fowl
have long been a favorite of man.. and other predatory animals too.  :D
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kira Sekemoto

• Species: Kitsune Yōkai
  • Behold my kitsunebi~
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 07:11:52 pm »
Well you guys also have to keep in mind that a lot of furries don't choose to be anthro at all so for those of you suggesting that eating the ferals would be fine... The same controversies would apply. Personally, I'm a feral red fox and eat whatever scampers about and will fit in my mouth xD
"Confound you!" snapped the fox. "Give me back my ball!" The man ignored its pleas until it finally said tearfully, "Alright, you've got the ball, but you don't know how to keep it. It won't be any good to you. For me, it's a terrible loss. I tell you, if you don't give it back, I'll be your enemy forever. If you do give it back though, I'll stick to you like a protector god."

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
Well you guys also have to keep in mind that a lot of furries don't choose to be anthro at all so for those of you suggesting that eating the ferals would be fine... The same controversies would apply. Personally, I'm a feral red fox and eat whatever scampers about and will fit in my mouth xD

Your quite right that many furries feel they would rather be feral than anthro.

Of course areas could be set aside for those who wished to live the life of the wild.
Provided with natural prey, and predictors to share it with.

We anthro rabbits are gonna carry protection just so you know.  :D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:22:35 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kira Sekemoto

• Species: Kitsune Yōkai
  • Behold my kitsunebi~
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:51 pm »
I figure in a world like that it'd probably be pretty cut and dry, survival of the fittest, no matter how advanced it was. I say this based on the fact that they're animals and that nature has always been law for animals, I believe it should be that way too but humans have strange ideology when it comes to rules and what not x3
"Confound you!" snapped the fox. "Give me back my ball!" The man ignored its pleas until it finally said tearfully, "Alright, you've got the ball, but you don't know how to keep it. It won't be any good to you. For me, it's a terrible loss. I tell you, if you don't give it back, I'll be your enemy forever. If you do give it back though, I'll stick to you like a protector god."

Offline Samual_Jennings

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 12:01:09 pm »
In my concept, anthros and ferals both exist as it is impossible to completely ensure anthropomorphism, and any one anthro species will not allow its feral counterpart to be eradicated and/or harvested. Only mammals are anthropomorphic, so carnivores eat mainly fish and poultry, along with more expensive animal by-products such as milk.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »
Locked due to gravedigging.

If it has been more than six months since a topic was last posted in, please make a new thread on the topic. Thank you!

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#