Author Topic: A letter to my human ancestors (premise)  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Fleeyock

• Species: Sheep
  • Male
A letter to my human ancestors (premise)
« on: July 25, 2016, 03:46:24 am »

I'm not much of a story writer person, but here's something off the wall I was thinking about. This has probably been thought of to death, I'm sure, but...

What if... the future, the Earth is populated with homonid animals (furries basically). Humans died out of disease of some kind a long time ago, but not before becoming ridiculously advanced technologically. Their idea to preserve humanity is to put their minds into animals, or some form of hominid animals they engineer over a long time. They initially think of just one species type (apes probably, maybe dogs) but they realize they need a more genetically diverse pool, so they make a ton of hominid species. Long story short, a bunch pseudoscientific nonsense that justifies the earth actually being run by furries.

Anyway, the story is told at the point of view of a writer, some tens or hundreds of thousands of years in the future. Furries are evolved basically to the point where humanity is now. Their evolving takes a lot longer, due to a confusing and troubled history (ancient technology is lost, everyone's extremely diverse, can't get along, etc). The writer "writes" a letter to humanity from the past, circa 2016, describing how awkward and ridiculous it is, and wonders how awkward things were back in their time. He's particularly fascinated that they they are just one species and how simple things must've been. He tells them a lot of people often joke at the reasoning for "creating" the beings that they've become. And who knows what else. Basically, he's comparing then to now, and expounding upon it.

Ok that was weird. Back to reality.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: A letter to my human ancestors (premise)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 12:38:37 pm »
Good stories often arrive from weird ideas.  Humanity is moving toward
bionics, and genetic manipulation. So who knows what will happen over
the nest few centuries.. Perhaps anthro animals aren't that fantastic
after all.

I am not sure I would wish to make a humaoid of any animal though. But it
may happen in the future. They alaready manipulate their brains. A computer
model of a rats brain is in the works. I don't have a url. I read it off line.

Wouldn't be strange if we started talking to a  computer simulation of a rat.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:48:51 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Fleeyock

• Species: Sheep
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:58:46 am »
I guess the challenge would be making it believable, not necessarily realistic. I would think the complete mapping of brains and genetics is a very realistic goal for humanity, though I don't see it exactly happening any time soon, certainly not in my lifetime. Something like time traveling to the past is something that's basically impossible yet people write about it all the time and find ways to make it believable.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »
Stories always need to be believable, even stories of fantasy or magic need structure
to be interesting.

Scientists are learning a lot about the brain, so a break through may not be that far away. To
just copy the human brain isn't really possible at this time. Even if they did it would be static.
to work the brain has to be dynamic, neuron connections changing according to imputs. Otherwise
it would just be another computer of a higher order.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:27:10 pm »
Good stories often arrive from weird ideas....

....Stories always need to be believable, even stories of fantasy or magic need structure
to be interesting.

Agreed. I actually look for weird ideas in stories and especially story basis. I love reading stories with unique plots and originality.

They also need to be believable, which is something I struggle with, but I'm learning a lot simply by trying and learning from people's feedback.

Give it a shot! Write a rubbish first draft (how all stories start) and improve and rewrite it from there.  :)
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:35:28 am »
Believabie, is about what happens in a story. At least that's my understanding of it.

Example:
Your character finds a bottle of poison. If he finds it in a medicine cabinet it's believable.
If he finds it some where it's not commonly found it isn't, unless you place it there earlier
in the story. Or a weapon found in a unatural location, unless placed there earlieer in the
story.

If a witch uses magic it's a given, if a non witch does it has to be explained earlier.

I hope that is helpful.
oldrabbit.com