Author Topic: Rabbit hops in, sniffs around a bit, gnaws on server cables, hops back out  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Oh hi Furtopia. :) I'm Arbutus, and I'm not new at all! I kicked around this place for about seven years and served as a watcher, mod, and admin for much of that time. No idea how many people are still here that I used to know, but I figured I'd pop in and find out!

My life has changed a lot since the last time we talked. I started and finished a master's degree. I moved abroad again to jump into a new career in humanitarian aid. I lived in Turkey for a year or so, then moved to Jordan, did a short deployment in Afghanistan, and now I'm living in Tunisia, where I'm working on the humanitarian response to the crisis in Libya. I'm enjoying this seaside country hugely, and I'm doing the sort of meaningful work that I've been wanting to do for a long time.

By this point, I'm long out of the furry fandom. People grow, people change, people leave parts of themselves behind, however fondly they are remembered. But I still love the stories, and the art, and all the friends I made here on Furtopia, and all the memories I made and helped to make. I still check in from time to time, and I'll probably be orbiting around the fandom for a long time to come.

I'm only stopping in to say hi, but hey, listen, I brought some snacks for everyone to share.
*pulls a large lever on the wall*
*a large section of the floor slowly rolls back*
*an enormous pile of carrots, twenty feet tall, rises from a platform in the middle of the floor*

Make sure to leave enough for everyone!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
:O Arbutus! Great to see you again :) Hope things are going well for you.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline RainbowPanther

• Species: Cybernetic Rainbow Panther running WindowsME
  • Male
*offers copious amounts of carrots!*

Well ello there! :D Hope you stick around! I came back after a long time away myself!

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
Arbutus!!!!  It's great to see that you are alive and well and living a fulfilling life. I doubt I could do the line of work you do and I respect those that fill that role a lot. Don't become a stranger ;)
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
Welcome back to Furtopia! I hope to see you around!  8)
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Arbutus

I hope it's all right if I gravedig my own greetings topic. :D TBH, I'm not sure I could improve on my subject line from last time. We've already reached the top.

It's been two and a half years since my last check-in, but man, the entire world has turned upside down since then. Where do I start?

New country, first of all! I moved to Uganda last October and have been here for the last ten months. I'm still working in humanitarian aid with the same organization, but with more global responsibilities rather than focusing on just one country. This was supposed to mean that I would be doing frequent international travel to our different country offices to help out with various projects, but........ you know.

All things considered, Uganda has been an unexpectedly nice place to ride out a pandemic, and I consider myself fortunate to be here. We had an early, strong lockdown that has so far helped us avoid the worst, and I've been able to work from home from a compound filled with exotic trees and birdlife, and I have three kittens that were born in my closet just before the lockdown started, which has done wonders to keep me sane through it all. Below is a picture of the kittens, which I share to give you a sense of how hard my life has been; I have had to deliver presentations in formal Zoom meetings, camera on my face the whole time, trying to remain stoic and professional while this was happening in front of my eyes.

Now that the lockdown restrictions are starting to lift a bit, I've been trying to (safely) get out and about and see a bit more of this country I find myself in. Below please find a picture of a Ugandan elephant traffic jam:

This post is turning into an animal parade, which I guess is okay because someone told me you people like animals?

Anyway, the reason I find myself back on Furtopia after so long is that I just watched a fantastic film called The Fandom: A Furry Documentary, which I highly recommend-- it's so well done and eloquently shows what furry has meant to so many people throughout the fandom's history. So I got to the end of this film, full of all sorts of fuzzy heartwarming feelings, and they started rolling the credits with the list of everyone who contributed through Kickstarter to make this happen, and who should I see on the list but several folks I knew from Furtopia back in the day? It got me thinking about my own route into and through and out of and orbiting in circles around this crazy, joyful, exasperating, lovable fandom, and through this forum that meant so much to me for so many years, and that's when I decided to pop in and say hello again to you all.

Hi! :)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Rabbit hops in, sniffs around a bit, gnaws on server cables, hops back out

Hey! Cut that out! WS and Weiss just got done upgrading the server. Bad bunny! Bad, bad bunny!  >:(
Here, have a salad from my cafe instead.  *hands a bowl of salad*

Anyway, welcome back.  :D

Offline Arbutus

KOBUK

*huge hugs*

Really glad to hear from you again! And not only because you brought me delicious salad. :D

*eats the salad in one bite, sniffs at the wooden bowl, continues to consume the bowl*

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
*hugs back*

Well, at least the bowl has fibre in it.  :D

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Hey, welcome back again :)

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Glad to  have you back. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Arbutus

Great to hear from you again, Loc and Old Rabbit. Hope you've both been doing well. *hugs* :)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
ARBY! *pouncehugs* :D
Oh goodness it's been so long since I last heard from you. I'm glad you're doing well.
I also see that you're still a far-traveller.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Hi Arbitus,
Thanks for sharing your stories and the pictures!
I never got to know you well before you started traveling... But your stories of traveling and doing things that you believe in makes me wonder what my purpose is in life.  Maybe it is time for me to do something more fulfilling? I just can't travel that much.

Cool that fellow furtopians contributed to the documentary.  I liked it myself.
Hope to see you again!
Also,

What does a giant rabbit eat in Uganda?
Is there carrots?
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
Also,

Is there carrots?
Aw come on Jade, rabbits eat more than just carrots. There's all kinds of plants for them to eat... I really wouldn't know what exactly since I'm a hardcore carnivore (seriously IRL I mostly eat only meats) but I'm sure there's got to be something out there... Assuming the elephants haven't eaten it all.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Haha!!
I know.  Rabbits also eat lettuce!

Or if you read Red Wall, rabbits  ( hares actually) eat EVERYTHING they can get paws on!

But in Uganda,  like most places, I suspect there is a lot of greens, root vegetables,  etc. Shrubs too.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Arbutus

ARBY! *pouncehugs* :D
Oh goodness it's been so long since I last heard from you. I'm glad you're doing well.
I also see that you're still a far-traveller.

Kayyyyyyyyyyy *hugs while doing a backflip* So glad to see you again!! Yeah, I have been through... a lot of countries in the last decade or so, which is great, because I couldn't have picked a better time to get out of the US!

Hi Arbitus,
Thanks for sharing your stories and the pictures!
I never got to know you well before you started traveling... But your stories of traveling and doing things that you believe in makes me wonder what my purpose is in life.  Maybe it is time for me to do something more fulfilling? I just can't travel that much.

Hey there, good to meet you! Looks like you arrived in Furtopia while I was away, so here, have a Carrot of Welcoming! *gets up on a ladder, removes a ceiling tile, and a leftover secret stash of Carrots of Welcoming from like 2010 pours out. They're still good!*

On doing something you believe in... no traveling required, necessarily! Especially in this age of simultaneous protests and pandemic, where so much valuable non-profit work has moved online. But I would say the main things you need are 1) an awareness of what it is you do believe in, 2) a commitment to work your tail off to get yourself from where you are now to where you want to be, and 3) a willingness to jump into the unknown once you get there. It's easier said than done, for sure; since college, I've gone through three jobs, night courses, and a master's program to set myself up for my current career. But now I'm here, and it's been so worth all the effort.

Also,

Is there carrots?
Aw come on Jade, rabbits eat more than just carrots.

This is false. :orbunny:

But actually, for starters, we have four different types of bananas here, all of which are very different from each other and used for different purposes. One of them, matoke, is a Ugandan staple food and is served boiled and mashed as a base, like the equivalent of rice. It's, uh... I feel like it is not the best of our four types of bananas? :D It tastes nothing like you would expect, very bland and heavy. But I think I've developed a taste for it (though it's better with salt).

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
It's good to see your doing well. My eyesight is too poor to draw like I used to, Or I would do a new drawing
of you, my favorite rabbit on Furtopia. :orbunny:

I am doing pretty good otherwise. Try to hop by every chance you get. We always enjoy your visits.
Tosses you a chocolate chip cookies.

Old Rabbit  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Arbutus

Re: Rabbit hops in, sniffs around a bit, gnaws on server cables, hops back out
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 03:29:25 pm »
*pokes their beak back into Furtopia to say hi*  :)

...wait. Did I say "beak"?

I've changed since the last time you heard from me! I'm going by the name Viridia now, and I'm a bird-- a Ross's turaco, to be exact, one of the most beautiful species of birds I have in my garden here in Uganda. I'm back into the furry fandom deep these days, and it felt right to take on a new fursona to reflect where I am in my life and how much I've changed since I created Arbutus over twenty years ago.

I think I'll still always stay Arbutus on Furtopia though, in tribute to all the memories this rabbit made here with you. So don't think I'm gonna give away my carrot stash just like that. >:( You can't just... well, hmm... okay, I might be willing to trade for a large pile of tropical fruits and berries. Let's talk. ;)

These days, I've been hanging out in two places I never would have imagined a year ago. First is Twitch, where I've found a group of wonderfully wholesome furry streamers and have found so much acceptance and love in the communities surrounding them. Second is VRChat, and this is the one that's still crazy to me. I got a VR headset very recently and have been spending a lot of time hanging out in the virtual world with friends I've made through Twitch. It's still blowing my mind that I can look down at my own body and see myself as a furry, and I can hang out "in person" with a bunch of other fluffy animals, despite the fact that most of them are 10,000 miles and several continents away. It's something that I thought would never be part of my life again after I moved abroad, but sometimes technology works miracles. If any of you folks from the old days of Furtopia happen to have VRChat, come say hi to ViridiaRoss. (:

So that's what I've been up to!

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 01:15:26 pm »
Double post, but...

Do y'all remember Mazz? I lost touch with her years ago when we both stopped posting on Furtopia, and I didn't know she remembered me or even knew about my new fursona or name. But today, out of the blue, I opened up FA and found this.

Small acts of kindness, man. :'( :-[

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 08:59:23 pm »
Nice to see you stopping in for a bit. *hugs* :)
A bird, eh? Interesting. Guess I'll have to go and get some bird seed for ya. ;) Or would you prefer something else?

I don't think anybody has heard from Mazz in a really long time. I can't remember the last time she was here on Furtopia.

Is this the link/image you were trying to post?

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/44998670/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 09:01:09 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »
Arby! Good to see come around again and join the feathered side  :D

That art of your bird is epic!
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 10:35:16 am »
Hey Kobuk buddy, glad to see you around! Thanks for the assist on the image - forgot you couldn't link directly to FA images on here.

A bird, eh? Interesting. Guess I'll have to go and get some bird seed for ya. ;) Or would you prefer something else?

Thanks for asking! I'll take all the figs and guavas you can load into the dump truck. TIA. :)

Arby! Good to see come around again and join the feathered side  :D

That art of your bird is epic!

Hey, thanks a lot, Kay! I'm really thrilled with how well it helped Viridia come to life. :) And I almost forgot you had gone feathery too! *wing high-five*

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2021, 04:53:04 pm »
*Sniffs from afar as I'm an introvert*
"Hi. What's up doc?" XD

Offline Arbutus

The best thing about being a bird is that you can fly up to all the places you're not allowed to go.

Been thinking about this place lately, and I just wanted to pop by and say hi! As always in my life, a lot has changed since my last message. I'm still working in humanitarian aid, but I've moved up to our HQ in Switzerland. I'm steadily getting better at French and building a new life in Europe. My three cats are here with me, and although getting them to Switzerland from Uganda was one of the biggest travel nightmares I've ever gone through, I'm so glad to be reunited with them again.

Am still birb. (Chirp.) Am still very into the furry VR community. I've been to two cons in VR recently, Furality Aqua and Furality Luma Festival, and both were absolutely beautiful and amazing experiences. Somehow, after all these years, I've still never been to a real-life furry con and have barely met any furries IRL. But I'm going to fix that in May, as I'm flying across the Atlantic to come spend a week with some close furry friends I've met through Twitch and VR. I'm more excited than I've been for anything in a long time.

I hope you floofs are all doing well. (: