general furry discussion > furries on furry

Furry spirituality

(1/6) > >>

tbear:
You know,I really don't know why I'm starting this topic since this is a bit of a sore subject for me.Chalk it up to boredom and the desire to get a few things off my chest.
So anyway in what way does furriness entwine itself with your belief system? I suppose it's only fair for me to tell my own story here.But these memories are not happy ones for me.
I suppose at this point I'm not a very spiritual Fur.When I first discovered the Furry and Therian communities I was but that changed.When I started out I was canine.Mentally and spiritually.It was who I was and it meant the world to me.
When I first arrived at this board I said that I had originally left the fandom because of the unsavory stereotypes it was beginning to gather.That was a half truth.It was part of the reason certainly but it wasn't the deciding factor.Here's the truth.I began having terrible nightmares about dogs and wolves.I'd wake up in a cold sweat screaming bloody murder,the image of my throat being torn out by angry canids fresh in my mind.
This went on for months.I tried to figure out why I was having the dreams.I never did.It disturbed me greatly.Having nightly dreams about an animal you love and admire mauling you will do that to a person.Heartbreak turned to disgust and I turned my back on both canids and Furry Fandom.
I still don't know why I had those dreams.I quit trying to figure it out a long time ago.The result is I refuse to accept the idea that I may have an animal spirit guide or anything of the sort.Other furs might have them,but I don't.Even if one appeared to me ( and I have reason to believe one did ) I will not give my trust.I do not wish to be burned a second time.
I am not here because of a bond shared with an animal.The chances of my ever accepting of such a thing are zero.I believe very strongly that other Furs have such a bond but not I.
I am here simply because I love and collect teddy bears.My phenotype is based not on a real bear but a plush one I own.I like animals,always will.But I will never share a bond with one again.

beyond the darkness:
I see your point. For me I'm split between two, an eagle and a ferret (a strange combo I know).
The eagle is a burning desire I have had since i was a baby, the desire to fly, not like Superman (or Neo from the Matrix) but actually to be a bird and experience flight like that.
The ferret came about years ago, I don't know where from, perhaps it is spiritual, but I too gave up trying to work it out.
I honestly do see where you are coming from though.

Rikimaru:
for me it started out as curiosity, then it moved onto interest and it went on i think im startin 2 get the spiritual side of it i think. i dunno. ive started acting wierdly anyways in RL.

sorry to hear about the bad dreams T-Bear. that really mustve hurt badly.

Drake Blackpaw:
I'm sorry to hear about your nightmares tbear, I can understand how disturbing they would be when they are connected to something you hold as a spiritual part of you.

I am not very spiritual myself.  My spirituality consists of recognizing my connection to the world and nature.  It is not a connection to one or more specific animal but a connection to all.

I love animals, particularly cats, which is why my fursona is part cat.  The skunk part represents some of my dark side and also the sexual side of me.  Skunks are often portrayed as highly sexual in the fandom.  

I think there are less furs with a strong spiritual connection to one or a couple of species than you think tbear.  There are a lot that profess to have a link, but there are many others that are drawn in by there love of animation, comics and even plushies (no not that type of love ) and do not have a spiritual connection.  

The loss of a spiritual connection hurts, I hope you find something to replace it.  I threw away my religious connections many years ago and have know found that I do need some spiritual component in my life.  I don't feel bad about leaving where I was, but something did need to be put in its place.  This may be something for you to think about tbear.

ps. Sorry about the bad joke in the third paragraph. I usually need to inject some humor into ultra serious posts.

River Ceed:
tbear:

First, I can understand how scarey those night terrors can be, as I had them as well.  For years I would have the same reoccuring dream of being chased through a wheat filed or some other tall grassy stuff by a pack of wild canines.  The leader of which was a large rotwieler, second in command was a german shepard.  I would always be running as fast as I could towards a light which I assumed to be a porchlight in the distance.  When I looked back, I would be able to see things from a higher standpoint then my typical hieght, as if I was looking down at an angle from the sky at the moving paths of crushed wheat representing the dogs chasing and gaining on me, the paths converging towards the area I was running in.  I would turn forward and my vision would be normal first person again, the light looking like it was getting closer.  But I would always hear a snarl and turn around just in time to be knocked to the ground by the leaping snarling foaming rotwieler, other dogs coming into sight as well.  I would always wake up as it was lunging from a reared back position, to tear out my throat.

I had this dream at least every other night from about age 6 to 19.  Then, not being able to take it anymore, I talked to a pstchology professor I was learning from.  He gave me a few tips on getting rid of the thoughts from my subconscious which would most likely cause the dream and I tried some.  I admit I didn't think drawing a dead rotwieler or ripping up a picture of one from a magazine would help.  But it did.  I stopped ahaving the dream a short while later and havent had it since.  I also learned later in years how to wake myself up or turn the plot of a dream into my favor while still sleeping.

As for your question of spirituality, do not worry about it.  Just be who you are and don't worry about grabbing all the supposed normal tiles in the game of life so that you can display them as proof of normalcy. (This goes for anyone reading this as well.)  Spirituality isn't necessary for everyone.  Do what feels right to you.  And if you don't know what feels right, then experiment and find out what works best.

~River

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version