Author Topic: A place for 'furry biology/ science'  (Read 7569 times)

Offline redpaw

• Male
A place for 'furry biology/ science'
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »
Apart from general furry discussion there doesn't seem to be a place where people can post about science related to anthropomorphism. This topic wouldn't be about recent scientific advancements that could bring you closer to your fursonna. But rather a place where topics are posted to try and explain or understand what makes your fursonna tick and how he interacts with the environment. Hopefully a place where the science-y furs and creative furs can share ideas and knowledge.

I guess an example topic could be "To what extent does the tail affect the balance of a bipedal digitigrade furry". I also hope this place could have a glossary of common terms so people don't get confused when reading all the Latin in the discussions. Finally I think that it may open up more options for rper's when considering how the physical characteristics of a fursonna affect their personality.

So what'dya think?  :)

(off-topic: Humans have evolved a lager bum to control balance, so a plantigrade furry with a human-like gait would not only have no need for a tail to counter balance but might even be hindered by it (depending on its size and movement))

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: A place for 'furry biology/ science'
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:01 pm »
I'm not sure how well a "furry science" forum would go here. I can't quite see a lot of participation in that sort of thing. Frankly speaking, If you do some searching in the General Furry Discussion forum, you may be surprised to see a lot of topics in the last several years that discuss various science aspects concerning anthros.
We really do have plenty of forums where science topics about anthros can be discussed.

General Furry Discussion
General Non-furry Discussion
Furries on Furry
The Polling forum
Debate forum (If you want to start a debate on a topic.)

And you might want to read this:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=42278.0

Offline redpaw

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »

And you might want to read this:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=42278.0

Yeah I'm aware that more sub-forums create more work for staff, but I was kinda hoping the benefits of having one place for all the anthro science topics would outweigh that (:.

But I'm still fairly new to the forums so I don't know how many active users have the knowledge to participate or the inclination to learn more about it. Perhaps have a poll?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »
The biggest factor I see is the "traffic flow" for your idea. If people don't see it, post to it, etc., then it just sits there collecting dust. On a normal day, the max. amount of members I see on the forums is usually around 12. But the amount varies at different times during the day. Most furs I see on the forums are more interested in the various gaming forums.  :P I just have a strong feeling that a furry science forum won't see much participation. The staff would have to archive it or delete it.

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »
I would use it.
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline redpaw

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
I would use it.

Hurray! :D I was hoping that people would eventually post here showing interest in this idea :3 *Dons labcoat* There's science to be done!

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »
I'm with Kobuk on this one. I can't see it having enough traffic over a long enough period of time to make having a separate board for it worthwhile.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Mylo

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »
We might use it...it's just a matter of frequency.  If, for example, the General Furry Discussion forum was being overwhelmed by furry science topics, then I'd see a board designated specifically for that subject as an asset.  However, that is not the case...

Offline kuroneko jusan

• As my name suggests, I'm a bit of a Jynx...
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:59 am »
I would use it.

Hurray! :D I was hoping that people would eventually post here showing interest in this idea :3 *Dons labcoat* There's science to be done!

While I understand the others POV on the subject, this sounds like a lot of fun and I will happily discuss and debate these subjects with you and anyone else who wants to.  "With science and labcoats for all!" 8)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:03:22 am »
I would use it, or at least lurk and post snarky comments with the aliens guy from the History channel.  :P
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 09:19:13 am »
We might use it...it's just a matter of frequency.  If, for example, the General Furry Discussion forum was being overwhelmed by furry science topics, then I'd see a board designated specifically for that subject as an asset.  However, that is not the case...

^ This.  There's another issue the staff have to take into consideration on if a new forum is created. If a certain forum is being "overwhelmed/flooded" by topics that are not normally supposed to go into that forum, then the staff may consider creating a seperate forum.

I appreciate that you and/or others want to discuss furry science topics. That's fine. But we already have numerous forums that you can post topics into. Or in other words: Let's use what we've already got before we go and create more. ;)

Let me give you an analogy.

You're baking cookies and you only have 1/4 cup of sugar left in the kitchen. You go to the store to buy more. You open up the new bag and start using the new sugar. But what about that previous 1/4? Why didn't you use that first and finish it up before opening the new bag?

Do you see what I'm saying?

Offline redpaw

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »
Ok, so I don't need to feel guilty if I start posting more furry science into GFD  (:

Offline Mylo

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »
Ok, so I don't need to feel guilty if I start posting more furry science into GFD  (:

Not at all.

Offline DarkDemon

• It's not popuri!!
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »
I could see the value of this thread! :3 I like learing *snorts and pushed glasses up bridge of nose* XD I don't even have glasses! Nor do I snort..... But! For this sciency-type thread, what type of things, (other than proportion[?] and such physical attributes of our fursonas) would we talk about? :P Like, what if our fursona just so happened to be a scientist/inventor? :D
I just got mai computer fixed!! :D :3
Surrender the peanuts!
ScourgeFur on DeviantArt! :D
:goldlaugh:

Offline redpaw

• Male
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
But! For this sciency-type thread, what type of things, (other than proportion[?] and such physical attributes of our fursonas) would we talk about? :P Like, what if our fursona just so happened to be a scientist/inventor? :D

I'm not sure I follow you? I had originally envisaged it being a place where you can explore the scientific basis for all the aspects of your fursonna (basically delving into the fields of zoology and human biology), and anything else to do with anthropomorphism (like how anthro societies could look/ function). But this is a very rough list and is not exhaustive of what could go in there.

I hope that answered your question :)

Offline DarkDemon

• It's not popuri!!
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »
Yes, that is technically(?don't think that was spelled right -_-) what I was trying to say. How the fursona would react to real life and its surroundings... It's like 12:00, where I am, and school has drained the life and muse out of me :P Sorry.... *shruggz and makes a big yawn!* :3 So yet again, sorreh for the ridiculusness of my wording... :-[
I just got mai computer fixed!! :D :3
Surrender the peanuts!
ScourgeFur on DeviantArt! :D
:goldlaugh:

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:03 pm »
Not to be "That guy", but why not try a two month-long beta, just to see how things go? I've been dying to have an intellectual and scientific conversation on the finer points of furry physiology for the better part of since I became a furry.

Seeing as the GFD forum is so... Multiple-usage, it renders the idea of a science forum moot, thus disproving the previous idea moot. But, it still would be nice to have a seperate forum for scientifics. Besides, part of me really thinks that the science debate or conversation should be seperate.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter either way except for the effort involved. Because unless, heavens forbid, talking of furry biology is outlawed on furtopia, we can always talk about the topic of biology lessons in furry on the GFD section.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:03:50 pm »
Not to be "That guy", but why not try a two month-long beta, just to see how things go? I've been dying to have an intellectual and scientific conversation on the finer points of furry physiology for the better part of since I became a furry.

Seeing as the GFD forum is so... Multiple-usage, it renders the idea of a science forum moot, thus disproving the previous idea moot. But, it still would be nice to have a seperate forum for scientifics. Besides, part of me really thinks that the science debate or conversation should be seperate.

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter either way except for the effort involved. Because unless, heavens forbid, talking of furry biology is outlawed on furtopia, we can always talk about the topic of biology lessons in furry on the GFD section.

What you can do right now is put those topics that you would like to discuss in the General Furry Discussion forum and see how much of a conversation they would induce. ;) 

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »
*leans back in chair and crosses arms in front of chest and closes eyes for a moment while thinking*

Hmmmm.

Just out of curiosity, let's suppose there was a furry forum dedicated to furry biology and other furry sciences. Is what you and the original poster of this thread asking for is a place to discuss "hardcore and actual science" aspects if furs actually existed? Not a forum for fantasy or speculative, etc. furry science, but rather real thought provoking questions and topics about how anthros might evolve, live, walk, talk, eat, language, their society, customs, biology, etc., etc.? Is that what you're proposing?

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:52 am »
I cannot speak for the creator of this thread; I'm not him. But in my case, yes, Kobuk, if I'm who you are referring to when you say "You and the original poster of this thread".

So, in other words, I mean a hardcore furry biological forum section. Or sub-section. But I dunno if the original poster had that in mind.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:20 pm »
@Arashi:  I'm currently discussing this forum suggestion with the other staff. It'll be several days or a week, etc. before we might have a consensus.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:08 pm »
@Arashi:  I've discussed this issue with the other staff for the last several days and it appears we have come to a consensus. I regret to inform you (and everyone else) that the staff have declined to add a new forum simply for the discussion of "hardcore and thought provoking" real furry science type topics.

Some of our reasons are the following:

1. We already have numerous forums where such topics can be posted in: General Furry Discussion, Furries on Furry, Debate forum, Polling forum, and/or even the General Non-furry Discussion forum.
2. We rarely, if ever, see that many topics (or interest) about real furry science that would necessitate a new forum. There simply isn't that much demand or that many topics created that would justify us having a new forum.
3. If a current forum was overloaded/flooded (But no spamming!) with furry science type topics in the future, then the staff would probably take notice and consider implementing a new forum.

But as things stand right now, there simply isn't enough justification for us to have another forum.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 11:43:31 am »
Makes sense ^.^ I'm dissapointed, of course. But I can deal with that. In any case, thank you for at least discussing it ^.^

Offline Mylo

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »
Makes sense ^.^ I'm dissapointed, of course. But I can deal with that. In any case, thank you for at least discussing it ^.^

But still, post some topics! I'm sure other furries would be interested in the discussion. ;)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:01 pm »

But still, post some topics! I'm sure other furries would be interested in the discussion. ;)

^ This.  Just because there isn't a new forum doesn't mean you can't post something to discuss.