Author Topic: Chinese-Made Fursuits On Ebay?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Chinese-Made Fursuits On Ebay?
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:58:22 pm »
I learned of a new fursuit maker about six years ago while viewing offers on Ebay. She made the suit I presently use as my main character and the partial secondary character. More recently, searches have turned up some rather stunning fursuit offerings, if one can believe the photos, originating from China.

Some of these look rather familiar, like knock-offs of fursuits you may recognize if shown to you. Lately, there was this offer for a rather nice fox suit with option for male or female. It helps to check feedback. So I looked for some regarding the costumes, but could find none. Poured over 3-4 pages of feedback on reward stickers used by elementary school teachers when grading homework and exams. Hmm.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Chinese-Made Fursuits On Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:18:27 pm »
Funny you should mention about this as I was just watching some YT vids several days ago on just such a subject. I would NEVER order any "fursuit" off Ebay whatsoever.  >:( Most of what is seen on Ebay is a complete Chinese knockoff of a well known fursuit seen/worn in the furry fandom. 95% or more of the listings are just scams. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen cheap knockoff fursuits based on the actual furry character/fursuit of Daisuke, a green and white anthro husky.

Here's a sample link to vids discussing fake knockoff fursuits.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fursuit+ripoffs

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:18:31 am »
Yeah, no need to buy from Ebay or China.  I really enjoy ALL SUITS no matter what they are made of or how well made.
I feel awkward at times being a guy with a bought suit.  I love to see hand made ones.
So someone should just try to make one first and that would be even more awesome!
So I would say the fandom should re-affirm this.  Buy from a furry-artist or make one yourself.  And also love it and live it!  And do not judge!
Who knows, making your own suit might make you into a suit maker!

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 12:58:03 am »
There was a warning about furstuits and fur suit heads sold on Etsy a few years back. Someone actually posted a video they found of an Etsy seller making the base for the fursuit head out of cardboard and paper mache. Head cheese anyone? That would mold up faster than an unplugged icebox.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:21:14 pm »
The fursuit that seems to get the greatest attention and being "stolen" is a green and white husky suit by the name of Daisuki Miles.
https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Daisuke_Miles
I've lost count of the number of times I've seen cheap copycat suits of his character on Ebay, Amazon, and numerous other places.
In fact, if I'm not too mistaken, Daisuki "slightly" patterned his suit after mine long, long ago when he was developing it. I think I remember him talking to me about it when we were friends on Livejournal.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:56 pm »
I suppose there is nothing wrong from buying items from a furry who happens to live in China and makes furry things, right?  So long as there are no underpawed dealings afoot.
I bet most faux fur comes from China, unless you have the coin to get otherwise.  So maybe there are deals to be had from suits made there?  Maybe faux fur flows like water there.

Perhaps what we are more against is the high propensity of some disreputable merchants located in China to more often than not, scam someone, just for the all mighty dollar.  And also ripping off artwork.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 10:26:45 am »
Just doing a generic Google image search brings up a ton of fursuit knockoffs.  >:( You can search for generic terms like "wolf fursuit" or "blue husky fursuit" or "fox fursuit" or something else, and you'll come across more Ebay, Amazon, Alexpress, or other cheap fursuit listings and pictures than you will actual photos from REAL fursuit makers. The amount of fake crap out there is just unbelieveable.  :o >:(

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:36 pm »
 Imitation is a form of high praise!
And lost revenue for furry artists. 
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:10:07 pm »
Those foam fursuit head patterns on Etsy look like a viable option for someone wanting to build their own costume. Especially if one already has the tools and materials on paw.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)