Author Topic: phpBB 2.0, mySQL, and forums  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Felix Andrews

• Male
    • http://www.misguidedhopestudios.furtopia.org
phpBB 2.0, mySQL, and forums
« on: April 08, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »
As part of the design for my website, I'd like to implement a phpBB 2.0 forum to promote a 'community' aspect.  In order to do this, you need to have mySQL implemented on the server - a service Furtopia says it offers to users, but that I haven't for the life of me been able to fathom.

What's the procedure with setting up mySQL databases?  Is this something Admin would have to set up, or am I missing something flagrantly obvious.  I've never used the stuff before so if I sound like a whimpering little newbie, well, that's because I am one.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated and possibly awarded with Internet cinnamon cookies.  Or not, if I'm feeling churlish.

- Felix

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Species: liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 07:14:04 pm »
You should confer with WhiteShepherd on how to do that. However, phpBBS is currently banned from the servers here, since it has some serious security issues going on...

Benjamin

Offline Firehazard

• Slightly used and mostly confused!
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:19:31 pm »
Might I suggest, as a good alternative, Ikonboard as the forum engine?  It seems so far to be the best (free) one out there.

Quote from: Savaaha
We have a 27in westinghouse hd flat widescreen TV, Tak has it connected up so its our TV and his comp monitor. We had it since 2009 and its going great.

Art by me.

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:24:26 am »
Simple Machines forums are the best forums I've seen so far.  If you do not have a MYSQL yet.  PM me and I can set one up.
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot