Author Topic: Furtopia ftp server  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
Furtopia ftp server
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:26:53 pm »
Just curious. Tried searching for this, but I didn't find anything.

I'm totally new to ftp servers. i found the way to upload stuff on the furtopia webpage you can make, but I don't get how to put in your own HTML to make it look how you want. I've only worked on freewebs and they had a place to post your code. Does that exist on furtopia and i"m just missing it?

Also, what exactly is an ftp server?

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
Furtopia ftp server
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:07:45 am »
In this case, the FTP server is one of WhiteShepherd's computers, which is set up in such a way you can copy files from your computer to his.  FTP is the name of the protocol that is used to log in, browse, and send files.  Your computer would be the FTP client.

Using your own HTML works the same as uploading your images. In the end, they are just files in your account.

So after you have written the HTML on your own computer, you upload the file to your account.  If you name the file "index.html", it is used as the default in case people access your site without specifying a particular file.

Behind the scenes, it works like this:
- Somebody goes to http://mianame.furtopia.org/
- No file was specified, so the server looks for the file 'index.html', and sends it back to the browser.
- If index.html does not exist, it runs the Furtopia Indexer instead; this is what you see on your home page at the moment.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline Mianame

• Female
    • www.mirches.deviantart.com
Furtopia ftp server
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:59:51 am »
Oh, okay! Thank goodness! I completely did not understand. That I can do then. Thanks so much!

Offline Kathera Lockharte144

• Female
Furtopia ftp server
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:53:56 pm »
Wait!!!!! so you have to make your own file manager ':shock:' wow, I had no idea how complicated this really was, I do hope that using an ftp client like filezilla or fireftp, both of which I have, is possible.