Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
Re: S3E1&2 - The Crystal Empire
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 09:46:54 pm »
Keeping any and all Season 3 discussion to a single thread is a matter of simplicity and efficiency. Nothing more. I see nothing wrong with what I have advocated. And I resent the fact that you are implying that I am trying to "stifle" discussion. I am not. Members CAN discuss MLP. But I feel it is better to continue and use Neofur's thread to further discuss Season 3 episodes. His thread started out originally discussing the upcoming Season 3 air date. Why not just continue discussing Season 3 further in that thread?
From my POV, Neofur's thread is a "waste of space" because all it does is discuss an "air date" which is a very trivial thing. Might as well use his thread for more Season 3 discussion. ;)

Edit: Neofur's thread (Posts 1-21) and aspect's thread (Posts 22 - etc.) have been merged.

Yes, but Aspect specifically pointed out that having only one long thread stifles our ability to discuss multiple episodes at once.  So there is something wrong with it.  I'm seconding Aspect's complaint.  Sometimes simplicity and efficiency aren't the only goals.  Especially in conversation, which is what forums are all about.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Season three air date
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »
I'm not going to have any sort of argument with you or others in this thread. If you want to take it further, then send a PM.

Second.......If you or others require further action, Please read the Member Rights section in the main rules.
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=42607.0

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 08:38:17 am »
Staff Note: The staff have been discussing about whether to have individual episode threads or not. Please be patient as we should have a decision reached soon.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:40:32 am by Kobuk »

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
Staff note:  The season 3 discussion and individual episodes have been separated threads.

This thread is now for talk about season 3 in general.

For conversation about the premier,  the new thread is here:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=45082.0

For conversation about episode 3,  the conversation can be found in this thread:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=45067.0

Offline Alsek

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »
The introduction of new writers for this season is going to be interesting.  I'm not sure whether or not i like Dave Polsky's writing style yet.

Of course,  he's only done one episode so it's a little too early to judge.  But,  Who knows?  Maybe he could develop to be better than Meghan McCarthy (it wouldn't take much?) once he's had a chance to get more used to writing for these characters.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 12:33:30 am »
Well, Meghan McCarthy isn't a bad writing inherently. They just need to stop giving her the important episodes.

She gave us Pinkamena, Photo Finish, and SHMOOPEYDOO!!!

Offline Alsek

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:39 am »
EHhheh.

I'm wondering how Dave Polsky would do on a serious episode after being given the time to adapt to the new characters,  though.  He sure succeeded in making something immeasurably creepy.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:24 pm »
I'm wondering how Dave Polsky would do on a serious episode after being given the time to adapt to the new characters,  though.  He sure succeeded in making something immeasurably creepy.

It's actually kind of nice to be seeing a slightly dark, creepy edge to the show more recently.  For quite a while there it seemed like it was really just a sitcom.  And, while I like some of those episodes, it's nice to see them doing some broader fantasy, which really works better when the show is allowed to be a little bit dark.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

It's actually kind of nice to be seeing a slightly dark, creepy edge to the show more recently.  For quite a while there it seemed like it was really just a sitcom.  And, while I like some of those episodes, it's nice to see them doing some broader fantasy, which really works better when the show is allowed to be a little bit dark.
While we may like that aspect, they have to be really REALLY careful about it. Remember who the target audience is and why we liked it in the first place. ;)
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »
Ooooohh,  i think it'd be silly to pretend we're not included in the target audience at this point.  It's just bimodal now,  and they're trying to figure out how to safely accommodate both.

But yeah.  They basically have been fitting in very dark and serious undertones wherever possible without it being obvious to the mind of a 6 year old.

6 year old sees 30 pinkies and probably laughs because it's silly.

One of us sees 30 pinkies?  We think it's just plain creepy.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »
It's actually kind of nice to be seeing a slightly dark, creepy edge to the show more recently.  For quite a while there it seemed like it was really just a sitcom.  And, while I like some of those episodes, it's nice to see them doing some broader fantasy, which really works better when the show is allowed to be a little bit dark.
While we may like that aspect, they have to be really REALLY careful about it. Remember who the target audience is and why we liked it in the first place. ;)

I'm always watching these with my five-year-old daughter, so it'd be hard for me to forget who the target audience is.  And while my daughter seems to scare kind of easily (Kung Fu Panda 2 gave her nightmares), she doesn't seem bothered by anything that MLP:FiM is doing yet.

6 year old sees 30 pinkies and probably laughs because it's silly.

One of us sees 30 pinkies?  We think it's just plain creepy.

This.  While all the adults that I watched "Too Many Pinkie Pies" with found all the Pinkie Pies utterly creepy, my daughter just thought it was funny.

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 12:24:00 am »

New pony!

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:14 am »
So, is anybody else a little ticked off that they're still airing a new episode this weekend? I guess Christmas is still technically a couple days out from Saturday, so it's not like they are airing a new one on an actual holiday. I hope they do skip the following weekend though O.O

The season is going to go by so fast if they don't take any breaks at all... last season was a 26-episoder. It felt to me like they took a ton of breaks and the season kinda lasted forever. Now this one comes around with half the episodes, and I'm not sure there's been a week break at all since the season started.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04:33 am »
So, is anybody else a little ticked off that they're still airing a new episode this weekend? I guess Christmas is still technically a couple days out from Saturday, so it's not like they are airing a new one on an actual holiday. I hope they do skip the following weekend though O.O

The season is going to go by so fast if they don't take any breaks at all... last season was a 26-episoder. It felt to me like they took a ton of breaks and the season kinda lasted forever. Now this one comes around with half the episodes, and I'm not sure there's been a week break at all since the season started.

You could make it last longer by doing what I'm doing -- namely, not getting around to watching the episodes right away.  I've still got the Wonderbolts Academy one to watch.  I'd watch it right now... but, the five-year-old has already been put to bed, and it seems wrong to watch it without her.  There never seems to be a good, convenient time to sit down and watch an episode until *after* the child goes to bed.  Or, possibly, while she's at kindergarten... but, that seems wrong for the same reason.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 06:43:38 am »

You could make it last longer by doing what I'm doing -- namely, not getting around to watching the episodes right away.  I've still got the Wonderbolts Academy one to watch.  I'd watch it right now... but, the five-year-old has already been put to bed, and it seems wrong to watch it without her.  There never seems to be a good, convenient time to sit down and watch an episode until *after* the child goes to bed.  Or, possibly, while she's at kindergarten... but, that seems wrong for the same reason.

There are two main reasons I'll watch the episodes either when they come out or sometime that weekend. First, I've there's a small local group here that gets together at a gaming/comic shop to watch the new episodes when they first air, which I try to make it to every week. Second,  I really don't like spoilers, and if I wait too long after the episode, I'll barely be able to go anywhere on the internet if I really want to avoid them.

The nice thing about this season is that the episodes have been so good that I definitely won't mind re-watching them at all. But I still wish they would have some breaks a little more often. I'm afraid that they'll be airing a new one on the 29th, too, since it's not a holiday. At this pace, the new season will be over by the end of January :/

Oh well, it's not like we can change anything at all. And I got the Season 1 DVDs with the bonus commentary and such, so I'll probably be going through and re-watching a lot of S1 after this season as well.

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 04:14:49 pm »
My Little Pony Season 3 Promo - Final Four Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5BgK2dK366I

Offline AikaCoonCat

• Icon by Uriko44
  • Female
    • Aika's Commissions
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 10:12:09 pm »
sad there are only 3 more epsiodes left to air before the end of season 3 :c

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 09:04:30 pm »
Well, it's that time again. Time for the reflection on our short-lived Season 3 as a whole. I'll try to avoid getting spoilery for now, so those who haven't seen the finale yet don't have to shield their eyes.

It may come as no surprise, given my general praise for most of the episodes this season, but I actually found this to be my favorite of the three so far. Season 1 will always have the glow of nostalgia to it, since it's where everything started and all. Season two was very up-and-down to me. For every good episode in it, there seemed to be one that just didn't do much for me at all. And I still don't get the infatuation with Lesson Zero...

Anyhow, Season 3 did have some weak showings as well, but in general I liked how the season was done. Maybe it's partially because it was a shorter season or something? They had fewer chances to throw in some episodes that didn't really suit my tastes well? Who knows.

But that shortness of the season seemed to have a major drawback, too. I think the writers had a lot of ideas for things they wanted to do in season 3 going in, and various developments they wanted to make. But they ran out of episodes, and time in the episodes, to convey everything.

It also means that this season ended unfortunately early, and now we've got an awkwardly long break in ponies. I'll probably use that time to go back and re-watch season 2 all the way through, because I haven't really done that in its entirety yet.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 01:21:23 am »
I'd have to say Season 3 was meh for me overall. There were a few episodes that touched me, and a few that I didn't really enjoy, and the last episode of the season seemed more like the end of the series. I liked the last episode and the one with Scoots/RD camping the best, although Wonderbolt Academy was pretty amusing.

No Daring Do, Spike was a klutzy greedy dragon, and Discord reformed? No bueno, amigos.  :(

I agree with Ziel in that there were a lot of plotholes that could have been filled and there seemed to be a lot of rushed scenes throughout the season to compensate for a shorter release time (why that is makes no sense to me either). The music was meh...I did like Celestia's song/moral/whatever though. But this is a kid's show, so the bar doesn't need to be set that high.

In all, this was a fairly enjoyable season. I prefer the first two seasons over this one, though.  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such