Author Topic: Adult Furries With Non-Furry Partners Continued...  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Starla

• Female
Adult Furries With Non-Furry Partners Continued...
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:14 am »
I wanted to respond to this thread but apparently a new one must be started as the original thread is over six months old?! I don't really understand this high-tech world I find myself in...
Anywho, I wanted to get in on this topic as it is rather close to my heart. I am a recently-discovered furry, that is, I have always been a furry but didn't know there was a name for it or a massive following!
My fiance is a non-furry and struggles to understand the fandom. Moreover, he struggles to understand why we would want to fursuit and behave as our fursonas with other furries and even in public.
I suppose because I am fairly new to how other furries express themselves, I can't necessarily explain this to him and the knock-on effect from that is embarrassment on my part.
As a teenager I used to wear a collar and had furry artwork strewn about my room. I didn't have to explain myself to anyone. But now I'm older and I share my life with someone else, there are certain hobbies I have toned-down in order to fit in with society I suppose. Sad, when I relay it in this manner, but true.
So I am struggling at the moment, having found an outlet - this wonderful world of furry that literally thousands of other people are part of too and I find myself holding back at home and trying to keep my furry-self a secret.
Are there any other furries out there experiencing similar dilemmas? A partner who just doesn't get it?
I plan on going to Confuzzled as a fursuiter and so far have had to beg and convince my fiance to come with me as I don't know anyone in the fandom yet. He has agreed but I don't want to feel silly fursuiting or distracted from being my fursona whilst I'm there simply because I feel like I have to continuously explain things to him and reassure him that we're not a bunch of sexual deviants!

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: Adult Furries With Non-Furry Partners Continued...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:13 am »
I know most of this post is probably common sense but i'm going to say it anyways just because of how stressed you seem about the whole thing.  I'm sorry for how much of this will be obvious.

The first time I ever got a chance to spend time with furries in real life,  I remember that the experience was MOST interesting because I was interacting with a group of people that,  for the first time in a very long time for me,  spoke the same language I did.  They knew all the same terms,  they spent time on all the same websites...  They had already seen all the funny videos and knew the memes...  Hearing someone say, "Hey,  what's you 'FA'" very casually in person was amazing... As were the hugs saying goodbye.

For the very same reason that it's awesome for furries to go spend time with other furries in person... Because we're with people who understand us and who, "Speak our language," so to speak,  it's likely to be an uncomfortable if not increadibly awkward experience for anyone not in the fandom:

1.  People who are speaking English right in front of them will appear to be speaking an entirely different language altogether and using terms they don't at ALL understand like, "Fursona," "scritch"  or, "Handler."

2.  People will all have their own common experiences and a sense of similar background that they do not have and can't relate to.

3.  People will behave in ways instinctively and naturally that you do not in normal society.  Someone doesn't have to pouncehug him for it to still be odd to see someone walking up and scritching a friend or everyone exchanging hugs when introducing others.

While i'm sure this certainly isn't the case in all furry situations,  these have been my experiences meeting with furries in person and there's bound to be all sides of the spectrum at a con.

That being said?  You are likely to be the only thing he has even close to an interpreter... And he'll be trying to gauge how normal things are based on your reactions.  Looking extremely awkward because you're worried what he will think when a friend randomly runs up and hugs you is likely to put him on edge while... Counter-intuitively,  enthusiastically hugging the person back like it's the most normal thing ever is likely to put him at ease.  He's going to need a break from time to time to process things.  ...And most importantly,  he must never feel abandoned or like he's not a priority in the midst of all the chaos over the weekend.

Don't bring up sexual deviancy yourself.  There's not ever a good reason to.  If he tries to bring it up,  just downplay it and say, "Every fandom has it's dark corners."

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »
If he goes with you put him first. People what to know they mean something. Honestly it's no different than being a hard core musician. We speak our own language. We have our own culture. As a guitar player I have this hunk of wood and metal that's constantly strapped to my body. If it becomes barrier between it becomes a problem. Always find a way to bridge the gap. Make the time your other half spends with you doing this worth wile to him.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Starla

• Female
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:26:38 am »
Alsek, everything you have said made perfect sense. I just need to be relaxed and then hopefully my fiance will follow suit. Thank you, I feel much better about it! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post :) ::Huggles::

Offline Jorinda

• Female
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:04 am »
I have a non-fuury partner. He likes some of the art, but has absolutely no interest in fursuits or fursona topics. I was a bit worried that he'd think Furry was weird, but actually he enjoys going to cons with me. He has found friends at cons, and likes meeting them.
He's still bored by fursuits and doesn't understand why anyone would spend 2000$ on a costume. But he accepts it's just another hobby - as he would spend 2000 $ on a gaming computer, if we had that much money.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »
My mate is not a furry. She's actually a therian, but she isn't a Furry. She doesn't have a problem with me being a Furry and I don't think she minds me getting a fursuit. At least she doesn't mind me getting a tail, cause she wants one as well!!! I'm just glad that my mate accepts me for me, and I accept her not being a Furry.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo