Author Topic: learning to growl, bark etc  (Read 17356 times)

Offline rbargholz

learning to growl, bark etc
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:37:46 am »
where did all you growlers/barkers/howlers learn to do so?
trying to replicate an authentic dog bark  (:

Offline IceDag

• Covered in BEES!
  • Female
Re: learning to growl, bark etc
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:07:34 am »
I've had 35 dogs over the course of my lifetime, I've always instinctively known how to bark/growl
(I'm new, please, be gentle o///o)
ಠ.ಠ
I see what you did there.

Offline Lycusthevampyrum

• Male
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:37:13 pm »
I can give a few tips, for one, move all of your saliva to the back of your mouth near your throught, and then kindof mutter a 'grrr'
Thats, sortof it... It's kindof hard to explain because it's mostly instint for me, I howl at the moon alot xP
Maybe try listining to YouTube videos of your specific species growls/barks/howls, pay close attention to the pitch/tone and the shape of their mouths, and as usual, PRACTICE often, the more you bark the better you sound!
Hope this helps  ;)
"... And if you disagree with us, please: feel free to keep that oppinion to yourself!" -- Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:16 pm »
The only growling I can do is the dethmetal style kind, that just can from messing around and trying to immitate others. Other than that I'll just say the actual word "grr" or whatever sound I happen to want to say.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:36 am »
I,  "rawr," at people on occasion,  but it's usually a very indifferent or even confused,  "rawr," rather than an actual rawring sound.

I've been meaning to learn to howl for a while.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:27:47 am »
Not sure how I learned to. Imitation? Yeah, mostly imitation.
I don't growl, really. But I do find it fun to bark and howl at dogs.

Though my mom and sister like to bother me about making an almost purring sound sometimes. But, family is weird and find those sorts of things silly and like it. (My dad grumbles and growls when his food is really good...and swears he doesn't.  :o)
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »
To growl,
Simply move the back of your tongue, to gently touch the back, or upper back of your throat,
And exhale as if you were going to speak in a deep voice.
The sound should occur naturally while exhaling with no strenuous effort. :)

As far as howling or barking goes, sorry, you’ll just have to practice vocally. (:
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04:27 am »
I just make random animal noises alot. *shrugs* I also listen to growls & screams of video game & tv characters (like Hunter from L4D & Momo from Avatar:TLA) & try to replicate the noises. Quite fun to do actually. ^^
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:38 am »
Sometimes I practice roaring in my car to and from work when im not singing to the radio.  Scared my self with a good loud one the other day.  :D
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline rbargholz

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:58:21 am »
i've gotten a prettt good growl going, just no tone, it's flaat

Offline andreastar

• Female
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »
I used to howl along with my dog as a silly entertaining thing for family. Other than that I've always yipped and puled when stepped on or when I hurt myself.

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »
I was never fairly good at glaring, so I naturally learned to imitate sounds. My personal favorite is the, "don't you dare touch my sandwich" growl. I tighten my through and basically cause a vibration through my lungs to my jaws. It's a base and lasts for usually around 2 seconds.

(I also meow at my cats from time to time)

Freak...
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:30 am »
As you might expect, I'd growl when insulted or frustrated (heavily!). For example, there was a time when I got into a sheer rage over my gramophone not working properly. So much so I ended up growling and snarling (yes, I did sound very much like a wolf doing that!).

Offline rbargholz

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »
hahahha, I THINK I'VE MASTERED IT
got really close to openly letting rip at a 'basher at school, *shows space between forefinger and thumb* THIS CLOSE!

The Durpamander~

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »
Tried praticing today in car. Its funny how even by your self, you can feel silly at times. I hate that so much!

Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline Mylo

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:15 am »
Yeah, I tried growling at home...you're right Chris, it does feel silly even by yourself.
But it's still fun! :D

Offline PupLilith17

• "Merry Christmas!"
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
i learn every sound my pets make
so i know how to
growl bark whine hiss meow purr yip chirp whisle and a bunch others i cant exactly spell
 :D
---------------------------------------http://brialilith.deviantart.com/

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »
I had a cat for most of my life, so I copied her meows, growls and hisses. Still do them occasionally.
I could never quite copy her chirping meow though.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:12 am »
(I am not sure if this post is OK here, but it seems like the best place)

I just had my first roar. It was deep throat roar like a combination of a dragon and a hiss from an avatar smurf. I got a phone call right when I had finally finished my house work, and all I wanted was to start blogging. That is when the phone rang. I went over and picked it up and guess what. IT WAS A MACHINE!!!

I got so pissed that I first growled several times to warn it to shut up (as if that would work), then I just lost it and roared into the speaker phone. It was exhilarating. it was fun, but it needs practice.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline PaniktheWolf

• Howdy, Hola, Hello what else can I say?
  • Female
    • Inland Empire Fursuiterz
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
There really isn't alot of people who can LEARN to growl. I'm pretty sure it all came naturally. I didn't know I could bark,growl,snarl, and ho til the seventh grade. I for one was a dog lover. So I images my dog one day while my family was messing with our dog Benjii Boy by trying to bark. When I did it everyone stopped and looked at me.
↑↑
_____A (o 0) A_____
)___( ( .. ) )___(
)_(o)(o)_(
(,,,)(,,,)
|
V
*Gidion*

Well well well, if it isn't mordakye the dragon himself...

Offline Bane_enaK

• I live and die, proud of my people gaining
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »
There really isn't alot of people who can LEARN to growl

I'm inclined to disagree, at least from my own personal experience. I never knew how to growl until I started listening to wolves growling and other people showing/telling you how to growl. Only recently have I gotten more used to it, but it still needs work. I practice on my stepdad's cat occasionally as a kind of mark of progress, and it serves to scare him now (: Plus I've tried growling at other dogs that have started growling at me, and after a bit of a canine standoff, they yield.

As for howling/barking/etc, I'm not sure if I can help. I'm still trying to correct my howls...And as a naturally shy (read: practically silent) person, barking doesn't work so well because I just have trouble summoning up the vocal strength for it  :( A similar predicament occurs when I try metal growling/screaming.
Mated to Arashi_Calunata

Offline wags

• Take the world
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »
I can howl and growl, but not bark. My voice is really soft and girly, even for a girl. Barking doesn't sound right with me. x______x;;

Offline EmmaCornell

• Time to bake cupcakes!
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 10:33:08 am »
I never "learned" how to bark, meow, howl, or hiss. I just somehow knew how to do it by instinct :)

Furry Code:
FCW3acdrs A- C- D+++ H+++ P++ R T++ W Z- Sf RLMH a- c++ d+ e- f++ h* i+ j+ p sf
To decode for you -> http://mj.ucw.cz/furry/ :)

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:00:22 pm by DreamerHusky »

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:38 am »
I've been growling, snarling, barking and howling for years now.  I practice a lot but I'm not sure how realistic I sound. When I howl sometimes our miniature pinscher joins in.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:34:50 am by robodog »
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.