Author Topic: Paws's short story challenge  (Read 32248 times)

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
Re: Paws's short story challenge
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:14 am »
Racism.
It never went away, not after years of remaining quiet between the many human variations, not after laws were put in place to prevent it. Times change and humans still thrive on negative comments and pushing another below them selves in rank or status.

This makes my job difficult on a daily basis. I work as an airline attendant running the red-eye flights from Australia to the USA, and by extension this requires me to deal with people every hour of the job.
From serving drinks to changing sheets in business-class, cleaning and food preparation. It's all covered by myself and my colleagues.
Like all airline attendants I wear a standard sharp looking suit, tie and a hat that sits neatly between my ears. Keeping myself groomed for the fifteen hour trip can be arduous though. I hate brushing my tail the most, it sheds so much I have to clean the bathroom afterwards! But it's worth it, the orange blends in with the white tip nicely afterwards and I can sit it comfortably between my coat-tails as I walk up and down the isles.

This is all well and good in theory, but the catch is...I'm the only one of my species in the company. I am told I was from the third generation after the species split, but I still never knew my biological parents. I grew up with a loving family in Gosford who treated me as far more than the general public do.

After giving my pre-flight briefing, and rolling my eyes at all the people not paying attention, I sat and waited for us to become airborne.

"Can you believe that?" someone said, my ears swiveling to pinpoint their location; "Now they even have jobs in hospitality" came a snide whisper.

I put my head in my hands and shook it slightly. Fairly sick of hearing comments like that, its kind of depressing. Like I said before, racism, it never left. It just evolved.

When we reached cruising altitude I began my rounds, offering refreshments to the passengers on the right side isle. Most people replied with a gruff, uninterested 'thanks' while some of the elderly folk deeply enjoyed my service and replied in kind.
Just then the attendant light came on. I quickly finished my rounds, stowed the trolley and rushed to the passenger requesting service.

I arrived at the seat and the passenger looked at me with a deep scowl.
"There is hair in my coffee! That's bloody pathetic of you not checking the thing first!" growled the man. I recognized his voice right away as the one who made the comment during take off.
"I am deeply sorry sir, let me take that for you and replace it" I offered politely.

"Yes, do that. And bring me a serviette and an empty cup, I'm going to filter these hairs out and send them to the appropriate authority!"

"I am sure there is no need for that sir, I can see quite clearly there to be no traces of hair of any kind floating in your coffee." I replied, my temper allowing a small breach in my etiquette.

"With an attitude like that i'm even more shocked you have a job of any kind, filthy animal."

"Sir, you need to keep that kind of language to yourself. I will return in a few moments with your coffee." I finished and bustled away before he could hurl more negative comments towards me.
Quickly making his coffee and grabbing a spare container and serviette, I returned to his seat.

"Watch where you're shedding next time and don't forget to come back later to clean up the spills. Now get lost"

I returned back to the mini-bar and sat down. Furious was not a strong enough word for how I was feeling right now. The comments had put me in a mood that would prevent me from doing my job as best I could, this was making me angrier! My tail swished back and forth giving away my emotional state dispute my attempts to hide in on my face.
Movement caught the corner of my eye and I snapped to attention to look at the newcomer.

He appeared to be familiar, I was sure I knew his face from somewhere before.

"Uhh...sorry, I just wanted to get a drink of water...but I can ask someone else if you would like some time alone" he spoke politely.

Training snapped into play; "Oh no sir, not at all. Here, let me offer you some chilled spring water from the cooler."
As I poured a glass for the man I could feel his gaze upon me, almost like he was trying to gauge more information without asking. To be honest it made me feel a little creeped out, but nothing worth worrying about.

I handed the man the glass, taking a mental snapshot of his physique as I did so to try and figure out who he was later on.
He took a sip, sat the glass down on the counter and asked me a very casual question; "Rough day?"

"Ugh, Company policy kinda doesn't like me talking about personal issues...but yeah. A few things that have been building up have gotten to my nerves today."

"You are a very tolerant person in my eyes if that makes you feel any better, you do seem to cop a lot of verbal abuse in your job."

I grabbed an empty glass from the counter and began to clean it. "How do you know this?" I asked.

"I fly on this same flight every Tuesday in business as part of my employment" the man explained.

"That's a fairly long haul to be doing once a week" I commented, realizing why he was so familiar. finishing with one glass I grabbed another to keep busy.

"It has it's perks. Anyway, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"Umm, Only if I do not get called away. I am still on duty."

"I am sure you will have plenty of time. Do you like your job?" he asked very abruptly.

"Well, the pay is nice, the hours kinda suck and so do a lot of the people. But I manage ok."

"Do you take pride in your job and how you carry it out?"

"Yes I do, most defiantly."

"But do you feel like you were made for something more?"

"I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that...I suppose I could re-train in a richer form of hospitality, though my passion lies with engineering...although...no. That's what I keep telling myself as it's a plausible goal. My true imaginary life goal is to be part of an automotive race team. But as I said, imaginary. Race teams typically stick with humans."

"Thanks for answering, though I do have one more question on a more personal level."

"Oh?"

"Your genetic code was spliced with that of a North American red fox, have you ever wished you were human? would you give anything up to change?"

"Not at all. I may have many a low moment but I am proud of who I am and what I do" I explained. "What brings you to such a curiosity about myself anyway?"

"That's for me to know, and you to find out" he said, tapping the side of his nose and finishing his water.

The man walked back out the way I had entered the mini-bar area. I could hear his footsteps come to a halt not far from the door however.
"Do not bite the hand that feeds you, both literally and figuratively" came his voice.

"Get out of here old man! you're invading my personal space!" came the rude reply from the racist passenger.

There was the sound of a small squabble, I quickly left my seat and poked my head around the door to see my questioner holding the racist by the collar, a few inches from his face.

"Who do you think you are!?" choked the passenger, his feet light on the floor.

"My name is Charles Krane, and I own this airline. Now, you will be apologizing to the flight attendants, all of them, on their next round. Your return flight has, as of this moment been canceled."

"You can't do this you prick!" came the angry reply.

"I can and I just did....now SIT DOWN!" Charles yelled and dropped the man into his seat.

I never saw Charles again on the late flight. It was almost disheartening but these things happen. Temporary friends come and go.
Several weeks later I received a letter from my employer, Krane Airlines. Thinking it was just another paycheck I left it unopened for several days.
Finally, when bored I opened the letter with the sharp edge of my car keys and removed the contents.

Skimming through the header, bla bla apology for customer bla bla, I quickly pulled up half way through the forth paragraph; "And so it is with great pleasure, we invite you to undertake a training course before joining us on the BAJA 1000 cross country race in 6 months ti....."

Words cannot describe.
Good things DO come to those who wait.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:04:29 am by typingwithpaws »
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:32 am »
I looked back at the letter again, there was a postal note left at the end.
It read; Showing passion for the things you do for a living ensures passion for the things you do in recreation. I look forward to meeting you once again and hope you will enjoy your holiday.

Signed, Charles Krane.

Holiday?
As I moved the letter away from my face I noticed some additional pieces of paper on the floor. They must have fallen out of the envelope when I removed this letter.

The first paper was quite a shock, for along with the Krane Airlines logo on the top it had a title header 'notice of employment termination'.
Something felt incomplete so I opened the second piece of paper to reveal the answer. Not often does one receive an invitation to undertake a complimentary advanced driving course and CAMS licence.

I think there may be big things in my future.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:54 am »
I looked back at the letter again, there was a postal note left at the end.
It read; Showing passion for the things you do for a living ensures passion for the things you do in recreation. I look forward to meeting you once again and hope you will enjoy your holiday.

Signed, Charles Krane.

Holiday?
As I moved the letter away from my face I noticed some additional pieces of paper on the floor. They must have fallen out of the envelope when I removed this letter.

The first paper was quite a shock, for along with the Krane Airlines logo on the top it had a title header 'notice of employment termination'.
Something felt incomplete so I opened the second piece of paper to reveal the answer. Not often does one receive an invitation to undertake a complimentary advanced driving course and CAMS licence.

I think there may be big things in my future.

Sounds like it Paws. Knowledge almost always
pays. Companies generally take notice of those
who do a bit more than required.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:01:47 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2013, 06:13:49 am »
T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house. Not a creature was stirring...unless you count a family living there who had no intention of keeping quiet at this hour.

Hugh and Sasha were too wound up with sugar rush to even be close to going to bed. So while they pranced around the house like electrocuted chickens, Marianne and William sat back on the couch by the air conditioner.

William was given leave over Christmas as per usual. To 'recharge the old batteries' the Sargent had said, pun intended...even if William's batteries were nearly brand new.

"I don't know how on earth they can run about like that in this heat. They're not even panting yet" said Marianne.

William smirked slightly at the mention of the uncomfortably of the heat.

"Oh shush you!" said Marianne, shoving William with a paw. "Just because you can't feel it!"

William placed his arms out in front of him and adopted a blank stare, doing his best robot impression. "Affirmative. I do not feel. I am an emotionless machine. beep. beep. I cannot love you. This is a simulation. Beep."

"Oh stop it!" she replied, hugging him. "You know we really should put the kids to bed soon."

"Yeah I suppose, they'll be burned out for tomorrow."

William turned down the volume on his speech replicator and whispered; "Are you going to do the drop tonight or should I?"

"You're a bit quieter than me, do it at 4am, that should be enough time hun" she whispered in return, William nodded in confirmation.

Hugh finally stopped running and jumped into Williams lap, bubbling with energy.

"What's Santa Claws going to bring me this year daddy?"

"I dunno champ, did you write him a letter?"

"Yeah! I mailed it 3 weeks ago so it did not get lost in the Christmas rush!" Hugh replied as Sasha sat between them on the couch.

"Tell us the story of Santa again daddy please!" asked Sasha, beaming up at William, ears perked alert for a possible incoming story.

"Ok, but you two had better go to bed straight after, or Santa will have to skip our place till last!"

"We promise" they both replied in unison.

Marianne relaxed and cradled Sasha's head as William began the semi-truthful story of Santa's beginnings.

"Many years ago, before I or your mother were born, before their parents, and before their parents parents, there was a Bear named Nicolas. A saint some called him. A scoundrel others would also refer to him as. During a time of poverty after a series of terrible events, Nicolas would sneak around in the darkness of night and rob frivolous things from wealthy people. It was and still is today a frowned upon practice but Nicolas was a person of logic, kindness and fairness. The items he stole were always minor and nearly worthless to their owners. Rarely would they be noticed as missing.
He then took it upon himself to either sell these items or give them to other less fortunate people.

Through his kindness many people benefited throughout the town. No one ever found out when he died or what happened to him, but we do know one thing. To this very day, his acts of random kindness to the less fortunate continue all over the world. But some say his decedents continue to give the gift of giving. Though these days stealing is not really on the agenda. Legend has it there is a large factory hidden on the north pole where 'Santa' and his helpers create toys for children worldwide. Santa's name will forever remain a reminder to the original Nicolas himself. For 'Santa Claws' is merely a miss-translation from Saint Nicolas to Santa Claws. Saint/Santa. Nicolaws."

Hugh and Sasha were mesmerized by the story and were fighting their bodies natural response to fall asleep. Their ears were falling limp and eyes half lidded despite their efforts.

William gathered the two children up carefully and carried them to their bedroom.

"You really have a nice way of telling that story" Marianne said when he returned to her side, "The kids getting heavier?"

"I didn't really notice. Not paying attention to the data"

"If only you had the muscles to show off as a result" She said, hugging her husband.

"Merry Christmas Marianne" said William, softly kissing her on the forehead.

"Merry Christmas hun."

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2014, 05:53:19 am »
You'd think I'd have gotten used to it by now.
Getting deployed back into the field. But the truth is, it never really gets easier. It always makes me feel down, not sad, but down to have to leave my family again.
I suppose I don't really feel sad any longer. It's like emotional conditioning. Dying kinda has that affect on your emotional state, turns you cold to certain things. But then there's the never ending argument about whether or not machines really 'feel'.

I've been spending the last week on base being prepared for another mission on the other side of the planet, some kinda warlord rubbish. Can't really tell you much, or i'd have to kill you hehe. But aside from that I've just been reading my own manual and tweaking a few parts to get them working better, saves the engineers some time at the very least.

Last week I burned out my main power supply trying to test my limits. Turns out, when the manual states ram pressures not to exceed 1000kpa, they mean it! So in hindsight, trying to bench press the neighbors three ton truck was probably not the best idea. But hey, at least I know i'm good for two and a half right?

My team mate Trace, a cat of sorts, is sitting across from me on the other side of the chopper also reading my manual. I can read his new uniform name tag from here easily, but whats more amusing is that someone has ALREADY defaced it by writing 'Grug' below his name tag. I just assumed it was a poke at his long hair bearing a resemblance to the children's book character of the same name.

"You know, you look really scary under that fur covering" Stated Trace, looking up from the manual.

I pulled back the left sleeve of my faux fur covering, exposing the mechanical arm.
"Listen to me very, very carefully" I said with my best Austrian accent. Trace cracked up laughing.

"So how about if I just vanish so you will never have to see me at all then?" I said, activating the camouflage module.

"Now you're just showing off!" replied Trace, still a glint of humor in his eyes.

Trace was the brains of this mission. His job was to get in, re-program the computer and get out again. All I had to do was run protection and assist where needed. Quick mission, in and out again and would hopefully prevent a lot of unrest if it all went to plan.

"I see they got you a new potato cannon then?" queried Trace, indicating at my replacement weapon.

"Yeah, just finished downloading the manual last night. She's a real doozey, but its kinda limited to the heavy stuff, even if it is supposed to be nearly silent."

"I never thought I'd see the day they used chemical weapons again. At least it won't make a mess afterwards like they used to back in the day"

"Yeah that's true" I said.

"Hey William?"

"Yeah?"

"What's it like being a robo...." He began to say before I cut him short.

"If I had a unit, for every single time I've been asked that question. I'd be able to end world poverty tomorrow"

"But..."

"But to answer your question in brief, It's like being a superhero. The good. And the bad. So leave it at that."

The pilot caught our attention and notified us that the drop zone was approaching fast. I stood up, grabbed my jacket, belt and under-slung heavy weapon. Trace got up and threw an active camouflage vest over himself and donned the rest of his gear.

The radio crackled to life with the pilots voice; "Touchdown in 3...2...1...GO!"

To be Continued...I hope.

TWP

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:22 am »
I haven't posted a response lately, but I still find your
stories a good read.

Thanks for sharing. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2014, 06:11:52 am »
if its fun to write, anything else is a bonus. someone reading my stuff? bonus achieved!

however i was reading over some of my earlier stuff latetly...i reckon ive actually gone down hill a bit!
there's a lot of lack luster and description loss in some of this later stuff in comparison. i have to put in more effort, have a more solid story, better mental image and put it down in writing better if i wish to improve.

i'll try and put these thoughts into practice next time i write  ;)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »
When your creating art or literature for fun it isn't always necessary to be at
your best. Kind of like a artist doodling.

I look forward to more of your work. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2016, 07:24:30 am »
I'm brewing new ideas again. stay tuned for more rubbish light reading ;)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:49 pm »
Glad to hear it. I look forward to your work.  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline typingwithpaws

• Male
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2019, 08:36:09 am »
"So how do you see yourself William?"

"Worth little more than the sum of my parts, figuratively and literally"

William hung his head. Several years had passed since the war. Life had for the most part returned to normal, for most.

The psychotherapist looked on with knowing eyes.
"You know that is not the truth inside you" She said.

"I know! But it's just so hard convincing the logic centre that same truth!" sobbed William.

"Justify yourself, you are good at heart and moral. The choices you make mean something to more than just yourself. You are more than just a collection of thoughts, wires and circuits."

"I'll try"

"Take your time, when you're ready, gather your things. I will see you next week. Consider what we have spoken about today and return with some new thoughts and views then"

"Thank you for your time Alyce, sorry to break down again"

"That's perfectly alright" said Alyce, setting the voice recorder down on the small table in the centre of the room.

William gathered up his bag and shouldered it. Regular visits to his therapist had been a nice change of pace, even if they did force some nasty concepts to become revived.
Several years had passed since the accident wherein his original body had been destroyed by a landmine and replaced by an experimental android. The reality was that his life could now be, in theory, extended indefinitely. This concept was terrifying to consider, outliving his family, friends.

"What's planned for this evening?" cooed Alyce, in her usual soft tone.

"Probably visit the local bar with my friends. It's a Friday night after all and some company would be healthy for me."

"Good plan" she replied, shuffling some papers into alignment before stapling them together.

William exited the practice and began the short walk towards the usual gathering place, a small pub on the corner near the top end of town. The whole while he walked, the only sound he focused on was the usual creak and scrape of his actuators and linkages as he walked.
"Soul within the machine" He murmured to himself.
Time passed swiftly as William paced the distance towards the top of town. Soon the small bar came into view. A two story building, rendered  brickwork cracking, simple neon 'open' sign glowing dimly against the dim overcast night sky.

William wiped his paws on the doormat and entered, Krum and Nathan were already there, standing in their usual spot by the pool table.
"Oi Naa the ones with the big white spot are the bigs" bolstered Nathan, cheeks a little red from an evening enjoyed, flannel damp from spillage.
"Yeah I know that ya drongo" complained Krum, wearing his usual attire, A white stained tank top, blue denim shorts and a pair of thongs. "Oi, Will's ere" he exclaimed.

The two raised their glasses in greeting. It was nice to have such reliable company, thought William as he walked toward the counter to order a beverage.
"Usual I assume?" the bartender asked with a raised eyebrow.
"Yeah Ad's that'd be good thanks" Will replied, handing over the credit card for the tab before walking towards the pool table.

Hey guys, trying to get back into it. Hopefully not like a gym membership though. I'd keep going but its past midnight so i'd better get some sleep before work tomorrow.
its been a few years so some new influences might be present in my otherwise mediocre work.

Nice to make contact again.
Yours,
TWP