Author Topic: Simple meals on a budget.  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Simple meals on a budget.
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
Another similar topic is too old to be gravedug, so I'm making another new topic.

So.........You're hungry and you don't have much money. What do you do? Let's discuss ways to make simple meals on a budget. ;)

One thing I've done in the past as well as recently is buy rice, then pour a can of soup over that. At Wal-Mart, I can usually get a box of Boil-in-the-Bag rice for about $2. There's 4 pouches in a box. I also buy 4 cans of CHUNKY brand soup (Different varieties) for about $2 a can. All total, That comes to four meals for $10. Not too bad. :) I fix the rice as directed, then put that on a plate or bowl. Heat the soup as directed, then pour that over the rice. Instant meal. :)
I used to do this quite often long ago when CHUNKY had a Beef Pepper Steak type soup, But I can't find that type anymore. :(

Offline redpaw

• Male
Re: Simple meals on a budget.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
I've always found bake beans and toast to be a quick and easy cheap meal, even if you splash out on the luxury Heinz branded ones (some of the cheap brands can be really nasty  x_x). It's surprisingly nutritious as well  :)

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »
For me,pasta is the way to go when youre short on cash and need to go for just the basics. A 1kg packet of spaghetti or macaroni for 75cents,and two 350g packets of tomato sauce for 30cents each. It will keep two average-sized people fed for about half a week(dinner,not including other meal times).

If you want to splash out and add a spicey sausage to cut up and add to it to make it taste great,then that will run you double the price you already payed for just the basics,but beggars cant be choosers.

Also,noodles are easy on the pocket too.

P.S. Im talking in European cents,as in 100 cents to 1 euro,not 100cents to 1 dollar. I dont know how much stuff costs there but the conversion at the moment is roughly 1euro = 1.27dollar,or 1dollar = 0.79euro.
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:38 pm »
Over here, you can buy a pack of noodles with flavouring that will do one meal for 7p. The flavouring is weak, you need at least two packets to make it strong enough to taste, but it works as the base for a meal, throw in some frozen mixed veg or half a tin of soup or something and there's a very cheap meal done.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »
Ramen. HAH. Kidding xD

In the past I've mostly made gumbo out of black beans, leftover chicken, stuff like that. Good stuff :3
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:00:49 am »
Lol Amy. I was thinking Ramen too. :P I do the same Kobuk. I usually buy the Beef Strew and put it over rice. Makes a good meal.

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »
I just knew Kobuk would scream at me if I answered "Ramen" honestly. XD

Bean and cheese burritos :)
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:54 am »
What also makes a simple meal, taking soft shells, cook up a two egg omelette with either cheese and a vegetable. On the side have a fruit.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:27 am »
1. I always cruise by the meat discount bin . a lot 50% discounted  meat is still good.

2. I The only prepared mixes I use is Japanese Cream Stew and Curry roux when on sale and various Asian sauces; hot bean, hoisin, oysters souse and soy sauces . Never buy prepared ie  stir fry sauces. . Everything else I make  from scratch.

3.  Buy ingredients that have multiple uses. Bad: buying a bottle of salad dressing, Good: buying Trader Joe's olive oil, mayo, mustard, Balsamic vinegar and maker my own dressings and use the ingredients for marinades and sauces.

4. buy ethnic ingredients only at mom and pop stores; for example a tub of Thai curry paste sells for 4.00 in a grocery story but only 2.65 at a mom and pop Asian store.

5. Upscale grocery stores and  farmers markets are high price traps one needs to avoid. 

Last night dinner
Shoyu Chicken
2.60 for a pack of chicken thighs  bone in (on sale)
soy sauce 1/4 bottle .66
ginger garlic one star aniseed  .50
pot of rice  $1.00
1 pound of bok choy  .75 stir fired with garlic and  soy sauce.

total 5.51 or 2.76  (dinner and next day lunch) the rice I used to make spam, Chinese sausage, and bbq  pork fired rice for breakfast.

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:48 am »
20lb bag of rice for $10. It lasts for a long time. I have been snagging the long packs of chicken, legs, or leg /thigh pieces. I can get 6 or more meals for $5 of chicken and the rice.
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Mylo

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:52 am »
20lb bag of rice for $10. It lasts for a long time.

Yup.  Add some steamed vegetables and some seasoning, and you've got a meal. :)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 06:47:48 am »
20lb bag of rice for $10. It lasts for a long time.

Yup.  Add some steamed vegetables and some seasoning, and you've got a meal. :)

Rice is a great base for nearly anything. I like the steamed vegetables route. But I also like to do rice with bacon and cheese. Using just 2-4 strips of bacon at a time, a pound of it will stretch quite a bit. And it's got a lot of uses.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:08:41 pm »
The grocery store I go to does something that is very annoying.

One loaf of fancy whole grain bread will cost over three dollars. Or you can get two for five dollars! They pull this stunt with a lot of foods. So if you only buy groceries for yourself, you end up with a lot of food to try to eat before it goes bad.

I agree with the people who have been talking about rice.

One way I like to save money is to cook up a massive amount of rice and beans. Those two ingredients are the "base". Then I experiment with different additional ingredients. I've added things like tofu, curry powder, vegetables, hummus, and potatoes at various times. Basically, I add whatever I can find in the kitchen that seems like it might go well with rice and beans.

My recent favorite is the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, just because I've been too lazy to cook anything lately.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »
In my experience, the larger chain groceries often mark sales that way to try to trick people into thinking they need to buy the higher volume. So even buying just one, you get the reduced price for the single item. However, when I went to a local grocery, their sales like that usually did require you to buy the specified quantity.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:38 pm »
Another way to save money is to buy oats in bulk. Where I live, you can buy a big box of oats for $8.49. It's five kilograms. I think that's like twelve pounds or something when converted to American measurements.

Just add some hot water and whatever sweeteners and toppings you like and you have a quick, filling, nutritious meal.

...However, when I went to a local grocery, their sales like that usually did require you to buy the specified quantity.

It's like that where I live, unfortunately. I wasn't interested in buying two boxes of green tea mochi for $2.76. So I just got one box and that came out to $1.49.

I did catch something funny earlier today though while I was out shopping. You can get two six packs of Vitasoy soy beverage for $5.50, or one for $2.75. That's what the sign said.  :D

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 07:47:04 pm »
chicken curry
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
Another simple meal on a budget is the following:

1  6oz package Tyson Grilled Ready-to-Eat Steak Strips

1  package Creamettes Extra Wide Egg Noodles

1 small or medium can/jar of beef flavored gravy.
1 small can of sliced mushrooms (Optional)

Cook noodles as directed on package. Heat gravy in a small saucepan on low to medium heat. If the steak strips are too big from the package, then cut them up into smaller pieces as desired. Add Steak strips and mushrooms to the gravy mixture. Heat thoroughly. Serve cooked noodles on a plate or bowl, then pour the beef/gravy mixture over the noodles. Voila! Instant beef strogonof on a budget.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:22:49 pm by Kobuk »