Author Topic: Can Anyone Help Track Down a Song?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Can Anyone Help Track Down a Song?
« on: September 03, 2021, 01:02:59 pm »
Over on reddit in r/tipofmytongue I've been trying to track down a song.

Link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/comments/pgyhi5/tomtsong_from_a_movie90s_link_in_the_description/

Link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjsZ_6SnGE

The song is in the movie Destiny Turns on the Radio, a nice little cops and robbers movie from 1995 starring Quentin Tarantino and Dylan McDermott. The song first plays during the movie itself during a nice character scene and then plays again at the tail end of the credits. I have tracked down all the songs listed in the credits and the piece I'm looking for hasn't listed in the credits

So in desperation I turn to the internet in hopes of finding it. So if anyone here knows some good internet sleuths who could probably track it down I would appreciate it.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Can Anyone Help Track Down a Song?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 04:54:35 pm »
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 05:26:15 pm »
Sorry Cause but no, that list doesn't include this piece of music. I've already listened to the songs listed. It's something not documented on the soundtrack.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 12:10:36 am »
It is That old black magic. Part of it anyway. It's the part of the song known as a bridge. Played a lot slower. What you hear is probably all that was ever recorded of it being played that way. 
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 12:47:30 am »
How do you know that that's what it is? Have you heard it in something else? Cause I've watched this movie enough times I can recite the whole thing from memory and it doesn't at all fit the tune of the two versions of the song used in the film.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 01:46:07 am »
I've been a musician for over forty years now. Despite never being a payed studio musician I've know people where were. Here's how it works. The studio needs a version of a song. Because the musicians are employed by the studio everything they do is owned by that studio. So you will never see who actually performed or wrote that version of that song. That's why the song 'That old black magic' is listed as the song played during the closing credits without any changes made to who did the music. So in effect the movie studio bought rights to use that song from the owners, the recording studio. If there are two versions of this song in the movie then the movie studio's employees created a second version. With no credit going to them. In the end the movie studio paid once for the rights to use it. And made three versions of it to save money.

How I figured it out. I sped up the playback of the end credits. Then comparing it to the bridge of the song. I transposed the pitch in my head to get a match. Even heavily stylized as it is there is enough there for me to hear it.