Author Topic: This is sad....and quite possibly why minds are so closed  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Serathano

• R A W R
  • Male
    • Kobaj.net
Re: This is sad....and quite possibly why minds are so closed
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 12:13:23 am »
I lolled. Just think, when election time comes around, he gets one vote, just like you and I. Now that is the saddest part of it.
My Furry Code: FFTw3a A C- D+ H+ M- P- R++ T+++ W Z- Sm++ RLCT* a- cn++++ d+ e- f h* iwf++ j+ p++ sm--

Signature Picture by: Neifon Baako

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 12:25:25 am »
lol,

*keeps to himself*

I second this.  :P

This is one of those everyday human encounters where you just have to roll your eyes and move on, for the sake of your own sanity.  :P
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Besdeki

• profile pic of devon the fox by (C) KP
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »
LOL wow. I don't understand people sometimes LOL demonic LOL. I am not a super religious person, I believe in god but I don't believe In all the rules of the church and some of the crap they say.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:26 pm »
everyday human encounters
Unfortunatly, I think that is all too true.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Fiver

• Male
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:24 pm »
As I said, the guy in the video is Kent Hovind. Although whoever posted this video probably did so for it's (unintended) comedic value, Hovind himself is actually serious about this stuff. Though I suspect much of it is just playing the people so they'll give him money. I'm not sure how much he himself actually believes it.

Oh...that kind of makes me sad.
...No wait, it's still funny.

Anyway, at least now I know that it was all the Pokemon playing in my childhood that turned me away from being religious.

My lastfm
"Jade: Lose interest in fauna and never speak of it again." - MS Paint Adventures: Homestuck: Act 3

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:20 pm »
Actually, I do think Jigglypuff is kinda evil... but that's just me.  :)

Anyway, to add to a bit of what Kalo said (which I completely agree with) in conjunction with Acton, religion is quite extreme at times.  The difference between good religious people and bad religious people is that the good ones put thought into what they hear; rather than accepting what a pastor said as undeniable truth, they think about how those statements fit into their own beliefs.

Simply put, those that are good religious people would probably be ashamed of that pastor.

I do have to say that I agree with one of his points.  All media affect us.  However, I think most people exaggerate the effects for the majority of the people.  Just like some people are allergic to bee stings, some people will be drastically affected by video games and television.  This isn't true for the majority, though.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Lava

• Getting all crafty up in dem mines!
  • Female
    • Lava's Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:37 am »
I could comment about how this is very sad and that this person is clearly misguided, but instead my Pokémon fan side is kicking in again >.>

Digimon has monsters like this:

And yet he chose to pin evil on something like this?

...Am I missing something? Also his description of the game sounds more awesome than it actually is. Hey, Nintendo! Where's our ability to channel the powers of Pokémon through our fingertips?!  :D

Offline Draconium

• Author of the Land Before Time War Fan Fiction
  • Male
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »
In my opinion, Hovind is absolutely not funny.

To me, he represents the danger of extreme religion and that is absolutely something I do not find funny.

Granted, I will give that sometimes religious radicals are good for a few laughs but people like Hovind and Phelps cross that "laugh barrier".
Please read and rate my fanfic: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley (Rated PG-13 for violence and profanity)

Click to save the dragon(s):

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 01:58:55 am »
As I said, the guy in the video is Kent Hovind.

Lol,  No it isn't.  Looks a bit like Hovind and sounds absolutely nothing like him...

But yeah,   This video is ridiculous.   (:

A perfect example of what happens when you go to talk about something and you have done perhaps 60 seconds of research,  if that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:00:28 am by Alsek »

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
As I said, the guy in the video is Kent Hovind.

Lol,  No it isn't.  Looks a bit like Hovind and sounds absolutely nothing like him...
Who is it then?
I disagree about the voice. I compared this to a video that is definitely Kent, and it is very similar.  He looks a little bit different, but people change over time. In other words, that might be an aging thing of something.

Or, it might be someone pretending to be him.  At any rate, this is -exactly- like the kind of total nonsense that Hovind preaches. There is nothing about this video that makes me think it is simply a parody because it takes the subject too serious, particularly with the audience.  If this was meant to be a parody, they fall to Poe's Law.

Offline Alsek

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:37 pm »
The accent is completely different,  as is the face,   and use of colloquial terms.

I believe the person in this video is from the "Westboro baptist 'church,'"

A group that is known for telling everyone including all Christians not of their denomination that they are going to hell without backing it up with anything whatsoever,

That protests a soldiers funerals in front of family members,

Will protest at Christian concerts,

and will protest in military towns with signs saying,  "GOD <3s IEDs"

They are not in any way shape or form representatives of Christians.    ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:55:16 pm by Alsek »

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »
I believe the person in this video is from the "Westboro baptist 'church,'"

Sometimes I hope that people from the WBC go home from their protests and just start laughing cause they're really trolls and doing this to get a rise out of everybody. It's still obnoxious but it's preferable to them actually being a horrible hatred filled group who are teaching their children to be a horrible hatred filled group. As far as I'm concerned CPS should grab every dang kid in that group.  >:(

Oh and Lava, as a Digimon fan I must say your comparison is unfair since your Digimon picture is a villian. So.. :P  :D
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline vlad

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »
Wow. I watched three seconds of this and couldn't stand the guy's voice.

They are not in any way shape or form representatives of Christians.    ;)

Westboro isn't actually a church in any real sense of the word; it's a lawsuit scam.

One of Fred Phelps' sons recently wrote a book about the family, explaining how WBC works. Basically, their goal in public displays like protests is to go out and offend a huge amount of people in public, inciting one of the people viewing the protest to such anger that they attack one of the church members. Then Phelps or one of his family members (all of Phelps and all of his sons and son-in-laws are lawyers) can sue that person for violating their right to free speech.

And then there are all the the offerings and tithes from congregation members, which if I'm remembering correctly are a minimum of two thousand dollars a year per member.

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 10:27:21 pm »
Wow. I watched three seconds of this and couldn't stand the guy's voice.

They are not in any way shape or form representatives of Christians.    ;)

Westboro isn't actually a church in any real sense of the word; it's a lawsuit scam.

One of Fred Phelps' sons recently wrote a book about the family, explaining how WBC works. Basically, their goal in public displays like protests is to go out and offend a huge amount of people in public, inciting one of the people viewing the protest to such anger that they attack one of the church members. Then Phelps or one of his family members (all of Phelps and all of his sons and son-in-laws are lawyers) can sue that person for violating their right to free speech.

And then there are all the the offerings and tithes from congregation members, which if I'm remembering correctly are a minimum of two thousand dollars a year per member.

Wow...just when you think the WBC couldn't be more disgusting.

www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Alsek

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:22 am »
Oh and Lava, as a Digimon fan I must say your comparison is unfair since your Digimon picture is a villian. So.. :P  :D

I dunno...

I'll take the first any day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:38:31 am by Alsek »

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »
Oh and Lava, as a Digimon fan I must say your comparison is unfair since your Digimon picture is a villian. So.. :P  :D

I dunno...

*snips pics*

I'll take the first any day.

I actually like both Digimon and Pokemon. Actually Devimon is kinda lame. The villians got better as time went on.

Off-topic post is off-topic. Uh....WBC is lame!!!  :P

www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 12:42:57 am »
Oh and -> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralGuardians <- gives a nice long list of either incredibly humorous/incredibly pathetic examples of people just like this.

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 05:24:03 am »
Oh and -> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoralGuardians <- gives a nice long list of either incredibly humorous/incredibly pathetic examples of people just like this.

WARNING: TV Tropes link may cause loss of free time and the will to do anything but look at TV Tropes. It was nice knowing you.

:D

www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »

Heh, wow, it lists a couple of furry groups who were for the censorship of some of the more... promiscuous...  furry art. I mean I can understand where they're coming from but still. The fact that they made that list is quite impressive.

And I love people who get mad over the smallest little thing, like that one mom who wanted to ban Harry Potter. They're so silly.  (:
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Erin14Neon

• Female
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 07:52:10 pm »
Im a christain and I strongly believe in god, but what he said is hilarious, i doubt im gonna go to hell because i like pokemon, or read twilight or harry potter. Its ridiculous.
LAWL

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:32 pm »
AND I SAY "RUSSIAN ROULETTE IS JUST A GAME!!!"

Offline Black Cat Godess

• High Priestess of Basement Cat
  • Female
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 12:20:19 am »
I would like to start by saying that I have no ill will towards Christians and Christianity.  In fact, some very good friends of mine are Christians.

That being said. Christianity on the whole tends to garner a LOT of negative attention from people like in that video.

I don't know if it's because Christianity is one of the most practiced religions in the world (along with Hinduism and Islam) or if it's because of the people practicing Christianity as opposed to other major religions, but some of the stuff that very religious and fundamentalist Christians get worked up over is sometimes just over the top.  Now, I'm sure Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, etc. all also have their sore spots that they nurse, but from what I've seen, they don't stand up in front of millions of people and demand things like a band on Harry Potter or a ban on Pokemon.  Hell, Judaism I know for a fact has a prohibition against witchcraft and I've not heard of any Jewish leader making the statement that Harry Potter teaches kids spells and witchcraft!

That might also have to do with Judaism only making up less that 1% of the world population, but I digress.

The point I'm trying to make is that religious, fundamentalist Christians, and most other Christians by default, get a bad rap cause of things like that video.  If I had to bet, I'd say that most Christians don't think along the same lines as this guy and come at it from a more logical and sane point of view.

I can say this because a good friend of mine who IS very religious happens to be very much into Pokemon.  Actually, make that two friends.  I have a lot of friends that play Pokemon and I seriously doubt that any of them are going to hell.
I R HIGH PRIESTES OV BASEMENT KAT.  FEAR ME!

I ALSO SPEEK LOLCAT ON OCCASHUN.  ISNT DAT HILARIOUS?

Offline Nashee

• Meow?
  • Female
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:54 am »
Some people are too serious...

My ex-boyfriends parents wouldn't let Pokemon into the house. Now I understand why. His dad is a preacher. His 14 yr old brother used to hide his pokemon games and stuff, and I couldn't get him pearl because of his parents.

I don't understand how games like Pokemon cause violence. I'm sure some stupid kids did fight over cards, but that happens with practically anything. If you made Jesus trading cards, kids would probably do the same thing...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:52:10 am by Nashee »
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »
Its because children's card games are Serious Business! :D