Author Topic: furry pride?  (Read 15209 times)

Offline Mooshi

furry pride?
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »
Why hallo thar. o.o.. I haven't posted in forever and thought I should! After a search inspired by boredom, I came to the conclusion that furry pride is kinda gay and lame. :x Dun go there and say I'm hating, I adore my gay friends! x3 But with furry the way it is with all the diversity, I think that too many furry pride images are more or less gay pride knock offs and not the fandom as a whole. Your thoughts?

Offline Eeptog

• Airship Manx
  • Male
Re: furry pride?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »
i was never really big on the whole 'furry pride' thing

i dont mind it but it annoys me when people get tons of tattoos/buttons/whatever for it.
FFD3drw A+>+++ C->+ D H P- R+ T+ Sm- RLU>A/M/AT a16 cn++++ f->++++ h*>++ i++ j+ p+ sm
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/eeptogtheundertaker/

Offline James Moon

• Chesapeake Bay Retriever
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:50:30 pm »
No different then haveing a team you root for so you buy the stuff to show it off.

It is a way to let other people know you like something with out running around screaming I LOVE THE GIANTS (dont really just saying it)

I am getting a paw print tattoo... just have to think of where i want to put it XDD
PSN =  drakemoon (Add me)

FC2a H W Sm RLRB a cn++ f-- i++ j+++ p-- sm--

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:34 pm »
James! Too much info. xP jkjk But yeah. It's not that I'm against the idea. A badge can be kinna cute, but most of the images I've come across seems to be botched gay pride rip offs with all the rainbows and all that jazz. Honestly, furry gets enough flak from non-furs as it is, do we really need images like a crying fox with a skin tight see-through shirt to represent this pride? >>

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:26:02 pm »
Honestly, furry gets enough flak from non-furs as it is, do we really need images like a crying fox with a skin tight see-through shirt to represent this pride? >>

No, but do we need people telling us what's wrong to do with the fandom?

If Furry is what you make of it, who is anybody to tell anybody what he or she can or can't do?  If a person has the guts to wear a collar, that person will mostly likely know what it entails, and be able to take the hit given.  People bark at me all the time, but I don't care.

You ARE aware the fandom did NOT start on the internet?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:35:26 pm by Shim »

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:12 pm »
Im not too sure what you mean by ripping off gay pride images... most of the furry stickers and such I saw were paw prints, and fox tails.  I may put a paw print sticker in my rear window of my car, as paw prints can represent lots of things.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:49 pm »
Yes, I am aware that furry didn't start out as "zomg i r on teh internets lololol i liek furreh animalz be mah fwend!!!".... o.o I was referring to what a quick search of 'furry pride' brings up on images. And by ripping off gay pride, I'm talking about using gay pride symbols like the rainbow flag and adding furry to it. :x Paws are cute and stuff like the intel "furry inside" is deliciously geeky. A majority of the pride images are really cheesy to me.

Offline Tsumetaiyuki

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:14:44 am »
true. a lot of them are fairly lame or rip offs of other things.

Why even need a image to represent furry pride? Who you tryin to rep it to?    lol
Cold Heartless Cruel Nazi.

For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:26:39 am »
Yes, I am aware that furry didn't start out as "zomg i r on teh internets lololol i liek furreh animalz be mah fwend!!!".... o.o I was referring to what a quick search of 'furry pride' brings up on images. And by ripping off gay pride, I'm talking about using gay pride symbols like the rainbow flag and adding furry to it. :x Paws are cute and stuff like the intel "furry inside" is deliciously geeky. A majority of the pride images are really cheesy to me.

You are basing this "Research" of google images?

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:40:05 am »
Never claimed it to be research. More or less observations and looking at it with a non-fur perspective. Though no where near as bad as the imfamous CSI episode, it is what is. Unless you are devoting your time and are in the fandom enough, furry pride images are what is on the surface and what a non-fur first sees. My point is why does the tip of the iceburg look so lame.

Offline Eeptog

• Airship Manx
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 01:26:13 am »
i agree completely, paw prints and such is fine, but alot of it is based off of the gay pride images

nothing wrong with either, but it does give off a bit of a weird image for those who...arent gay
FFD3drw A+>+++ C->+ D H P- R+ T+ Sm- RLU>A/M/AT a16 cn++++ f->++++ h*>++ i++ j+ p+ sm
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/eeptogtheundertaker/

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:33:27 am »
I've worn the Phipaw a lot before when I actually called myself a furry (I don't anymore). As far as the other things you are talking about mainly.. I don't think it is a Furry Pride = Gay Pride thing you are encountering (I'm well aware of these images, seen them for a looooong time, I found furry fandom in 1999 or so).. it is more of a Furry Pride + Gay Pride thing you are finding. Just a combination for many people that they want to express in one symbol. For example other interests have been combined with furry symbols as well, e.g. Gearhead Furries. There are others too but likely not the best PG rated examples.  :P

Simply put.. just because there are people with multiple interests that want to express more than just one at a time doesn't mean they are trying to say YOU should use their form of expression too. Even for that matter; just because there is something IN the fandom doesn't mean all furries have to approve of it. There have been many groups targeted over the years by furries that are small niche groups in furry fandom or in close proximity to furry fandom (overlap of interests). Furry fandom itself has shunned and bashed many small nich groups like this for 'not being a good representation of furry' - which is ridiculous whether you like their activity or not. It still goes on today too. Usually in subtle ways like this thread's original post, but sometimes in cruel ways and even illegal ways.

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 11:55:58 am »
I always found the idea of combining the two to be rather odd myself but *shrugs* I find being proud of a fandom to be odd anyway. Course there's an entire subset of GLBT pride dealing with really liking leather so...yeah there ya go.
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
Then it isn't furry pride, is it?

Is it really so wrong for a person to want to express themselves by combining two aspects of what he or she is into?

Its associating furriness with GLBT, which is fine.  But remember, those two things are not mutually exclusive.  Most nonfurs aren't even looking for "Furry Pride" on google images regardless.  Even if they do, who cares?  What do they have to do or say about anything?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:17:24 pm by Shim »

Offline James Moon

• Male
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »
aslong as they go together i thing it is ok  :D
I have a manager at work who is a buddhist & christian so he has a tattoo that has both symbols mixed together.

I love anime so I own lots of it XD I have posters and tshirts
I enjoy playing video games so I have my PSN name in my signature.
I like dragons so I have a dragon ring and a dragon tattoo.

I dont see how this is any different  :goldlaugh:

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 12:41:50 pm »
I somewhat agree with Katsu. A lot of the furry pride stuff is pretty... er, tacky, I think, though I find that this applies to not only the stuff that incorporates gay-pride symbolism but pretty much any of the overt furry pride stuff. I understand that furry means different things to different people and some feel that it is a more important part of their life than others but I just feel like taking pride in something like that is a bit over the top, y'know? I can't really imagine myself expressing, say, "Chessplayer pride" or "Collector-of-CDs pride".

Offline Rift

• color will be added soon :)
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 01:50:24 pm »
I like the fandom, so I'll supprot it by showing my favor. This is y I (and so any others) wear collars. Its hard not to show off a culture thats whole exsistance is based on appearance ;)
Got a PS3, do u play games like Red Dead Redemption or Call of Duty: Black Ops? add me (ID- Jaymeric) =D

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 02:32:32 pm »
I'm gonna have to agree with Katsu that the gay pride is too much in the forefront of furry pride symbols. If you're gay, go for it. I don't really care. But when I want to look for a fur symbol to use, I don't want to have to wade through pages of gay furry symbols and logos to find a neutral one when I use a neutral search term like "furry pride". Is that too much to ask for? Heck, I don't even know if a straight fur symbol exists. *ponders making one....* :P There are relatively few non-gay fur pride things to get without digging. Personally I use the phipaw on my cars. Simple, un-obtrusive, can't be confused with "just an animal lover", not combined to represent anything else, and not something non-furs/haters would know by and large but fairly recognizable in the fandom.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 02:56:09 pm »
I suppose for some the ratios of the furry pride art might be inconveniencing (what Narei basically said), but I could care less myself.
My personal way of expressing what one could call 'furry pride' I suppose would be my art binder (I carry it around everywhere for the most part)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
I think I pretty much agree with Narei. I've been in the fandom for about 7 years and I've never really understood why the rainbow colors and other gay symbols are so pervasive in the fandom.  :P Sure, the fandom does have a lot of people of different sexualities and lifestyles, but what about us straight furs? Having only the rainbow colors/etc. to represent the fandom is wrong IMO. That kinda tells non-furs that the fandom is pretty much "exclusively" gays, which it isn't. I don't need nor want some non-fur coming up to me and saying that I must be gay because he/she saw some multi-colored gay paw symbol, etc. I don't need to be stereotyped anymore, thank you.  :P I just think the rainbow colors and other gay symbols are being overly used/abused/pushed too far. There needs to be something more neutral, and the Phi-paw seems to be it. ;)

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 03:23:59 pm »
I've sounded..very harsh, and I'm sorry about that  :(.

Really, what I've been trying to say this entire time, is that while no, its not that great to see GLBT associated with furry as much as it is, it doesn't hurt me in any way where it bothers me.

Nobody I've met who thought they knew Furry from any media coverage immediately associated it with GLBT.   :o

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »
Yeah, I kinda agree as well. There is too much GLBT imagery associated with the fandom, and while there is a large GLBT presence here it's not exclusively that. However that isn't going to change anytime soon. Basically what Kobuk said.

Still, if you want some way to show off furry pride simply type in furry shirt into google and the first link you get has plenty of shirts you'll enjoy.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline James Moon

• Male
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »
Well as others have said before sence we openly let all people in with out judgement we run the risk of people thinking everyone has the same ideals and values.

I did find some good sites:
 http://www.fandomfashions.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22
http://www.cafepress.com/theuncannyvalley

I have mentioned to a few people now that I wanted the paw print tattoo and their first question was if I was gay =/
XDD guess it is really hard to show pride in something with out people getting the wrong idea XDD

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
I would definitely wouldn't equate the furry-fandom with the GLBT community as I left Planet Furry after I roasted a guy for his lack of support, as well as attacking many others by saying that they should think about the idea that since we furries tend to be shunned by the rest of society maybe we should work to help other minorities.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug