Author Topic: names and their alternate meanings  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Spirit

• Female
names and their alternate meanings
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »
I suppose 'spirit' was kind of asking for it, but it never fails to amuse me when people say my "name" to me unintentionally. Today my dad said: "I'm thinking I should apply for a job at Spirit Halloween." Turns out Spirit Halloween is a costume store!

Offline Lokii Wolfaun

• Did somebody say cupcakes?
  • Female
Re: names and their alternate meanings
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:56:41 pm »
Ah, I can see that happening.
I have a fairly uncommon first name IRL (Allison), and I grew up being the only "Allison" all through elementary and high school. Whenever I hear someone else named Allison I get really irritated.
It is an odd pet peeve, but I never responded to anything else. I never had a nickname like "Ally" or anything like that (It isn't my name, don't call me that...)
I don't ever hear Lokii, though. ^^;
FCW4~ArD4acd A++++~+ C>+ D~++ H++ M? P++ R+ T W- Sf# RLA* a cm++ d+ e+>++ f- h+ iw++ j+ p++ sf+

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:39 am »
I think I'm a stock index, a very rare last name, and a word in my oligosynthetic conlang that is a perfect descriptor of me. Not even that last one was intentional!  :D
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »
i have a well rare surname... in real life that is... Sands. for a long time in school i was called nothing but. everyone called me Sands. the friends who i still have from back then still only know me as that. if someone called me Michael (my real life name, Michael Sands) then... well... it didn't happen.

josh is very often heard though. but it really does amuse me when i find anyone called josh... even better if i discover that a furries real name is josh. it brings out the 11 year old in me again and "ohh!!!! that's my name too!!". i challenge you to find anyone, furry or not, with the surname "down" ... maybe i'm missing an obvious celebrity who i've not heard if. if so, please do tell me so that my inner 11 year old can emerge once again.
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:42 am »
I share a first name with a famous basketball player, and every now and then someone will call me by the full name of that basketball player.

SO ANNOYING.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Kishi

• *balances ferret plushie on my head*
  • Male
    • Press this to be a stalker.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:38:50 am »
Whenever my name gets called on the first day of class, I have to say "Vega, like Vegas".
"But are you going to kill her off?"
"It's not your decision. I love the character, she stays."
"Yeah, well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; I say kill her off!"
"Yeah, but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? You're a bicycle" Claudio Sanchez, In the song Ten Speed of Gods Blood and Burial, which is basically about a crazy old writer talking to his bicycle.

Offline josh down

• Male
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:01:21 am »
I share a first name with a famous basketball player, and every now and then someone will call me by the full name of that basketball player.

SO ANNOYING.

who is said basketball player? the only name i can think of right now that would immediately link you to only a basketball player is Shaquille. is that really your name?
just your average self-effacing, herbivorous predator

Offline TashkentFox

• Weird British Vulpine
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:58 am »
I share my surname with a character in Coronation Street, All the other kids at school thought I was Ken Barlow's secret son.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
My name IRL is Brian Lee Cook.  I really have a hard time thinking of any name as generic as that -- I even had a class in high school with another Brian Cook. 

However, "Lee" is interesting -- it came from my grandfather Leland Carroll.  I have tons of stories about crazy things that happened to him, and it's nice to have something to remind me of him. :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:09 pm »
My name IRL is Brian Lee Cook.  I really have a hard time thinking of any name as generic as that -- I even had a class in high school with another Brian Cook. 

However, "Lee" is interesting -- it came from my grandfather Leland Carroll.  I have tons of stories about crazy things that happened to him, and it's nice to have something to remind me of him. :)

I used to have a friend named Brian Cook.  That was years ago... I have since lost track of him.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 01:27:27 am »
Interesting story about my name, well connected sets of stories.

My full name is Aaron Sigurd Olson, my parents named me after a big environmentalist of the 60s and 70s who was a friend of theirs named Sigurd F Olson. The reason my first name is Aaron instead of Sigurd is they thought I'd get teased to much by other kids.

Skip forward 18 years to college. I go to Northland College, up in Ashland, WI which has the Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute because it's where he went to school. Now considering what my name is and that my address was 555 Ashland what would you expect residential life to think? Yes they thought I was a joke being played on them by administration so they set me up with the last remaining member of the Fraternity in a room in the mens' dorm who had paid for a single. I show up and well things got weird.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and almost every girl on campus wants to sleep with me because that would be as close to sleeping with their "Saint" as they could get, especially since I had met him once or twice. Now I've got to weej two of September and a couple friends introduce the beautiful girl to me telling her that I'm A. Sigurd Olson (which was of course completely true) that was on September 8th on September 10th we were engaged to be married. That was back in '97 we're still a happy couple.

So yes your name can affect you in ways your parents could never expect.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
All I know is that 'Bai' means 'white' in Chinese and 'Princess' in another language I can't remeber.

I turn my head sometimes when people are just saying 'bye' to each other though XD