Author Topic: Prison for the Rich and Famous.  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Prison for the Rich and Famous.
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:21:00 pm »
      I am sure all of us have seen in the news about some rich or famous person
convicted of a crime, and sent to prison. Generally though it seems the prisons they
are sent to are more like resorts instead of stone walls and iron bars. Though this
fact is rarely advertised.

So the debate is should the rich and famous go to the same kind of prison the
average person would be sent to or should they be sent to to the resort types and
why.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Prison for the Rich and Famous.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »
I don't see any reason that being rich or famous should give them special treatment. But it also shouldn't give them special punishment. For example, it seems reasonable to me to take precautions to try to make sure they aren't singled out for harassment by the guards or other prisoners.

Having said that, I think our current prison system in the U.S. is kind of broken anyway. Not that I'd know how to fix it.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:03:07 am »

I feel the only good reason for giving the rich and famous special treatment is to protect them from
being targets for undue harassment by the other inmates and guards.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:06:43 am »
While my initial instinct would be to say absolutely not,  there is the obvious fact that anyone obviously rich or famous would be likely to be slaughtered in general population of a medium or maximum security prison.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:57:21 am »
While my initial instinct would be to say absolutely not,  there is the obvious fact that anyone obviously rich or famous would be likely to be slaughtered in general population of a medium or maximum security prison.

While this is true they could still put them in prisons that are more like the regular population
is sent to, but protected from bodily injury. They could still suffer the lack of privacy, intimidation,
and the not so fun chores most inmates are required to do.

After all it's the rich and famous that mostly decide how regular people are treated in prison. Perhaps if
they knew they would suffer the same treatment in jail they might consider reasonable changes.

As we know most of those who are rich and famous love being in control of their surroundings
and life style. Just loosing that would be quite a punishment.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »

I feel the only good reason for giving the rich and famous special treatment is to protect them from
being targets for undue harassment by the other inmates and guards.

All prisons I know have a kind wing for people who want to get of the range. IF that's not good enough there's always segergation. But to go to prision and not get some harse words is a joke. They gaurd were forced to stop printing off hurt feelings report.

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:06 am »
I think the severity/classification of the crime in question should be taken into account here.  A lot of these wealthy or famous prison-goers are being incarcerated for crimes like drug possesion, embezzlement, wire fraud, etc.  Should we really be putting somebody convicted of insider trading in a prison alongside inmates convicted of murder and other particularly violent crime?
I don't think it's a good idea, because they are forced into a much darker sector of society that will likely follow them afterwards (you could put in a white-collar criminal and get out a violent drug smuggler with gang affiliations).

That said, a "resort style" prison for the rich and famous doesn't seem appropriate to me.  I mean, it is supposed to be a deterrent.
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:51 am »
It seems to me like the rich and fameous would inevitability play the system to get better things there somehow but that's my feelings.

My thoughts are the same with 'teens' committing adult crimes, you go out and kill somebody, you go to prison. Simple as that.

Going back to the subject of fameous people getting incarcerated, that in of itself is a daunting task for the state seeing as they clearly have the resources to hire any lawyer/s they want. I do believe that the crime should be taken into account as well. Regardless of the severity of the crime they probably will get a lesser sentence simply because they are fameous, in terms of time spent or even severity of the crime in some cases.

While I personally would like to see some of these people get what they deserve I understand that many woukd go out of their way to bother and possibly hurt them but at least we know if that does happen and they aren't killed, that they won't be breaking that law again anytime soon.
Mate of WereCat