Author Topic: Are you in the furry closet?  (Read 133829 times)

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Are you in the furry closet?
« Reply #375 on: December 26, 2011, 07:05:51 pm »
I was in the furry closet, but am not any more.

For those that believe there is no closet to be in, your wrong. I'm sorry I do not mean to offend here.  I'm just speaking from my own experience.  It is very much a self esteme thng.  When you dont have much self esteme you become bery worried about what others think about you. You become so afraid of what others will think of you if you deviate from the normal that it can paralize you.

Last year I began counceling for another subject and and durring that counceling had a lion dream that was so compelling that when I woke up I was grief striken that the dream had ended.  As I looked for some meaning from that dream I discovered the furry fandom and realized that it was where I belonged but that was not the end of the story.

I fought with my self bitterly over entering the fandom.  For me it was definately a taboe.  Adults wanting to be animals?  Its not right.  Its weird. My freinds and aquaintances wont approve. My self esteme was even lower than it had been before but I went ahead anyday as it seamed the only way I could find any happyness.

I delved into the forum of furtopa and joined the irc and began to talk to other furs.  I began to make art and write stories.  These things gave and give me great happyness.  I have come to accept my furryness and found that I actually have something of value to contribute to the world, but I still had to and ocasionaly still have to deal with the doubts that crop up now and then.

I started putting furry stuff on my facebook page and displaying my art work everywhere I was capable of doing.  I deluded my self into think my wife was up to speed on what I was up to.  I did not hide it but was not very fourthcoming either.  I assumed that she had rea the stuff I had on my face book and would have to of come  to the proper conclusion.  Boy was I wrong.

She was oblivious.  A non furry freind of hers or maybe not so non furry, the jury is not in on that,
asked her if I was a furry because of posts i had on my fb page.  She came home, googled furries, read the worst, then asked me if im a furry.  I told her I was and was immidiately baraged with the standard questions.  All I can say is 1, don't assume your mate knows what your thinking, 2, dont let circumstances do your work for you, and 3, I owe that person a huge thanks because the did me a huge favor.  Now My wife knows Im furry and over time she may come to accept it.

I feel much better about my self now and frankly don't care who knows anymore.  I dont make any efforts to hide my furryness, but on the other paw, I don't push it on people.  I'm just being who I am and the chip will fall where they may.  I am going to loose freinds over this but also am making new ones.  My true freinds know who I truely am and will be curious but will remain.  To the others, Im sorry you feel you cannot be a freind any more but I will keep you in my prayers.

I have spoken to my sister inlaw about furryness and other issues.  She is such an accepting person that I am so glad to have been blessed with.  She will be a rock in my life while I figure out what the rest of it is going to look like.  By the way I received a gift of a lion hat from a couple freinds in Ohio for Christmas.  I will be wearing it in church next weekend.

If I've rambled on, I'm sorry. But I do love to talk.

Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline Reverb

• Species: Siberian Husky
  • Uh... Woof?
  • Male
« Reply #376 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:15 pm »
Don't beat your self up over that. If they are really your friends then they'll stay by you no matter what.
Never give in be yourself, never give into what people say. If you do you'll be nothing but a pawn in the game of society. If someone isn't like you, don't hate, just be happy for them, no matter what.

Peace can only be obtained by the people of the world wanting it and all wanting it the same way. Not one wanting it one way and the other wanting another way. We all have to view peace the same.

Offline cubtastic71

• Male
    • Furring Myself
« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:45 pm »
I won't say I am in the closet - though I was a late bloomer. All it took was wearing a tail at my local renaissance faire one year and I was hooked. Though I was always into dressing up and being something else. It always made me feel "alive"

:)

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »
Well I'm pretty much "the guy that draws foxes and such". Fair enough.

Offline Tuulikel

• “With a rubber duck, one's never alone”
  • Female
    • Snow Masquerade - Twitter
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
I'm still kinda keeping this whole thing as a secret, but then again that's just me. I feel more comfortable when I keep things to myself. I live alone, so I don't need to answer to anybody anymore and I have other things in common with my IRL-friends.
Being a furry is important to me, but I don't have a need to tell others about it.

And I really hate when I have to explain myself to other people. So, I guess I'm still half-in and half-out of the closet.
I'm sorry, English is not my native language, but I'm doing my best and trying to get better.
https://twitter.com/Snowmasquerade

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #380 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »
I'm full on in the closet, sadly. But all that will change in abut four days. This Friday, I'm going over to my best friends house and we'll hang out for the weekend. Im going to tell him on Saturday. I'm only going to tell him for one reason - He's gonna find out anyways. He follows me on Youtube and I posted a Depression: My life video and he found out about my secret depression I held in for four years. He's been very supportive about it, but on Sunday, I'm doing an update video. It will detail how my new life is going and what I'm doing to stay happy. In it I'll mention raves, glowstringing, and of course furries. Since he'll see that video i figure it's better for him to hear it from me so I can explain if he's confused rather than turning to CSI or 4Chan. I don't know how he'll take it, but either way it's my life and this is who I am. If he can't be friends with me any more, then i guess that's fine by me.

I'm kind of freaking out about it though because I don't want to lose my best friend. I really hope he likes furries as much as I do, but not much ever goes my way in life... :(
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
I posted in this thread back when I first joined. Things have changed a bit. I went from a "No way, not going to tell anyone in real life, ever!" attitude to actually telling my best friend. As time goes by, the idea of someday letting it leak out to everyone that I'm a furry is becoming appealing. I don't want to beat people over the head saying, "I'm a furry!" I'm just going to do something anticlimactic on Facebook like "let" a pic of me with a fursuiter show up, put fursuiting as as an interest, or just start friending furries.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »
I went from a "No way, not going to tell anyone in real life, ever!" attitude to actually telling my best friend.

If you don't mind, can I ask how it went? I plan to tell my friend on Sunday. I'm freaking out a little, but its got to be done. It may put me at ease if I know how it went for you. I assume he stayed friends with you and is understanding. But was he skeptical at first? Did you guys have a falling out then get back together? Does he act differently around you now, or back when you told him? I'm sorry, I know I'm making mountains out of molehills. As I said before, I'm freaking out on the inside! O_o   o_O   O_o   o_O
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »
My friend was like, "Meh, whatever." He was already aware of furries and FA. He brought up "that" side of it, but then I went on to tell him about my suit I'm getting and the cons I'm going to. The great thing now is I don't hide it anymore and I have someone to share with. He liked this pic: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/429465_163443740441877_100003287577202_228982_103022017_n.jpg

Just today, I told him I added FurIdaho to my conning. Now I've got to try dragging him to it.

If I knew every reaction would be like his, I'd tell everyone I know tomorrow. I don't know that, so now I'm looking for my next best prospect to inform.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:21 am »
that does help some. I hope he is the same as your friend, maybe even more into it. as far as i know, he knows nothing about the fandom or even that it exists. he's more of the paintball and motorcycles guy, so am i but im also a furry (odd combo!). i think i just stress too much, but i cant help it. :P

PLUR

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:59 pm »
I am in the closet. I dont know how to bring myself to tell people all i know is that it will come up. Only two friends know maybe a third. I told my brothers,big mistake, now they treat me differently but my the friends that know are cool. Any dvice that could help?
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »
What is this "closet" everyone keeps talking about? There's no such thing as a furry closet.  :P  :D

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »
I could have sworn I replied to this ages ago, but maybe it was a similar thread.

Anyway, I would say I'm both inside and outside the closet. It's not that I'm on the way out. I tend to be what I guess you could call "passively secretive" about almost all aspects of my personality and life. That is to say, I'm not opposed to people knowing, but I have no desire to tell them either and so I default to saying nothing unless it comes up for some reason or seems appropriate in the situation. Since I'm not into anything overt like wearing costumes, nobody asks, and since nobody asks I don't answer.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:51 am »
ehh....yeah i'm in the closet,
however, i have confided in one of my friends, he is well informed with various Internet subcultures and is a little strange himself. he's trusted me with a few of his secrets so i shared my biggest one with him.

but i dont see him or any of my IRL friends besides one....and his life goal is to become an american red-neck which i find funny. telling him is a must but ive got no idea how. somehow i'll get him to be my handle on a suiting adventure ;)
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline SHEPARD_DOG

• im a Scientific enthusiast
  • Male
« Reply #389 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:05 pm »
Topic: Are you in the furry closet?
i dont even have a closet :'(
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

Offline Smashy B

• Male
    • My FA
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:12 am »
Completely. Haven't told anyone irl, and I don't plan on it. It's just not something I feel necessary to be open with with people I know irl, and not something I want to deal with. Hell, a lot of my internet friends don't know either, but whatever. I'm fine with it.

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2012, 06:41:31 am »
I came out of the fur lined closet not to long ago - I did it on Facebook, made the post public and everything. I am who I am, and I will make no apologies for that.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline Blackrose13

• Species: Fox/wolf/corgi/other canine
  • The furry little freak
  • Male
« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:37 pm »
I actually came out to my mom about a week ago. Lots of people on tthis site are freaked out at the idea of telling anyone. My mom was supercool aout it. She told me as long as i wasnt into the dark side of furry (im not) then that was fine. She even has agreed to let me get and wear a collar. I also found out that my dad is a furry, but he just likes the neko art. Unless you parents are super conservative or strict, you really should tell them if you are furry. But if you dont want to tell then fine.
"Snuzzles!"
Profile pic by Saiyu
pm me if you want me to make something into D&D homebrew for you (sources will be credited of course)
Official Game master status! :D
"As long as theres music, ill keep on dancing!"

Offline Jordie

• Female
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2012, 04:15:11 am »
I don't consider myself to be in the closet, but then, I haven't told my family or friends, either. I don't expect any resistance from my folks. If I were to tell them, they would probably just say "Oh, furry, what's that?" And when I explained it, they might think it's a little weird, but they're pretty left-wing, and they already know I have some strange/unique interests. The worst they'd say is, "Well, at least she's not out taking drugs and getting pregnant."

My mum actually once encouraged me to become goth, which I did, for a little while. I couldn't be bothered to put the makeup on every day. :p My dad also took me to a metal concert, and it was because of him that I started to like that kind of music in the first place.

I did tell one person I know online that I was becoming a furry and he didn't have the greatest reaction, but being an open-minded fellow, I managed to bring him around.

As to whether it's necessary to come out of the closet or not... I don't see why I should. If I were a vegetarian (and God forbid; dragons are meat-eaters!), I wouldn't feel a need to tell people unless it was relevant, like if someone served me a meal with meat in it. And someone who would react very negatively to learning I'm a furry probably isn't someone I would want to be friends with anyway. But I can see why it might not be that simple for others, and I feel badly for you. :(
Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!
- Warhammer 40K

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2012, 10:15:56 am »
Yep, sitting there in closet, chilling, poking my head out every now and then. Slowly collecting people who visit me in there.

Truly, I just tell whoever asks, and don't need to bring it up.
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Cchytale Murilega

• Species: Cat
  • Male
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
*facepaw* For god's sakes, being a furry is not a sexuality, therefore you don't "come out" with it. -_-; Could have used a better term for it, but you don't "come out".

Anyway, when I first joined FA in April 2010, I was heavily-secretive about it all. I had my species as "human" and acted like having a species was weird. I only used the site to keep a secret place to store all the stuff that I "liked". Over time, the more I exposed myself to the fandom, joining forums and making friends - it eventually rubbed off on me.

February 2011 was when I decided to accept I was into this kind of stuff and embrace furry as who I am.

My mom, step-brother, therapist and three IRL friends (who are also furries) know I'm a fur. My mom I had to explain to her all about in in January - thankfully she had no prior knowledge of it and she thought it was interesting. My step-brother finds them all weird and seems to hate all furries but me. My therapist also had no idea what furry was so I told her the same I told my mom.

All in all, I let my furriness be known, but at the same time not shoving it down the throat of society. I don't have a problem with showing it around normally like if it was an interest in a band or something, but I don't go around stating it to everyone - I just let them find out on their own. So far, no one has ever bashed me or anything IRL for being a furry.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:26 am »
I've only told one person in real life that I am a Furry, and that was my cousin. But that didn't go too well because he immediately assumed that being a Furry meant that you like to dress up in fursuits and have sex with each other. I tried telling him that fursuits are expensive and people would not want to mess up their fursuits like that, and that the temperature within a fursuit is pretty high within a few minutes. Well, he tried to pull the whole "I was just kidding" thing. I haven't forgiven him yet for that
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:11 am »
and that was my cousin

On the plus side, at least your cousin brought the "I was only kidding" out, instead of being all hateful and hostile. "I was only kidding" is about as close as many people get to ever apologizing.

There are entire online furry communities that are PG rated and aren't about the porn at all, such as this one for example. So hopefully the people you know in real life know to get all sides of a story beside before making any snap judgments.

As for me, I don't hide that I'm interested in furry. I've even tried wearing ears and tail outside before. But I haven't felt a need to go around telling everyone either. I've never brought it up in conversation with family or with anyone else yet.

Offline Volt

• Female
« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2012, 05:00:51 am »
Well, I haven't explicitly said, "I am a furry" to anybody. My dad always notes that I like to draw animals and animal characters more than human characters. That's just something that he and Mom know that I like, like how I also like new age music and Pokemon. Now, if I wanted to go to a con or something, I might have to explain a little bit, but probably not more than I had to explain cosplaying at an anime con. So, it's just an interest of mine, no secret, but I don't feel the need to announce it or anything because there's not really a need for that.

Offline platty_baleine

• Male
« Reply #399 on: November 10, 2012, 01:29:56 am »
I haven't told anyone IRL that I'm a furry. Furries are the butt of jokes amongst many of my friends and my family would not understand at all x_x. It's much easier to hide it. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I've even made a conscious effort to separate my connections with the fandom from my primary emails. I don't think bluntly telling people I'm a furry is a good idea.

I do however doodle anthropomorphic animals frequently in class. Someone has inevitably seen them =P. Nobody so far has come up and asked me about them though. If anyone asks, I suppose I could just tell them I like funny animals, though that seems a bit cowardly. Then again, maybe they'd be another furry, so who knows xD.