Author Topic: Things in the furry fandom that drives you crazy.  (Read 10596 times)

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
Re: Things in the furry fandom that drives you crazy.
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:35 pm »
So basically, is there anything in or about the furry fandom that drives you crazy.
Creepers. And not the kind that hiss and explode :D

Seriously, I've been standing in the lobby in fursuit listening to someone talk, and I had someone come up and start necking me.  Or the guy who followed me around and talked about how a long-distance relationship could work (even though I had never talked to him before). Or the baby fur who asked to be his "father" or "master" the first time he ever talked to me.

I've straight up told people they creeped me out because I'm tired of it, yet that STILL doesn't get the point across.  They keep doing it!  And the number of creepers I've had in the fandom is insanely larger than how many I've had elsewhere. 

Also, I hate when people try to talk to you on a messenger when your status says "busy" or "away." This happens every single day without fail.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »
OMG speaking about creepers.. There are two brothers(?) in the fandom, that are a bit up there in age, around 45 to 50 I'm guessing. They really look like eachother, almost twins with the same hairstyle and amish-like beards. They dress similarly and are always pulling a cart filled with Chihuahua plushes. I've seen them at a few Fur Cons now. They creep me out something fierce. I dunno what it is, but when they talk its like I'm in an 80s style horror flick. I'm just waiting for them to pull out a blade or something and start slicing myself and other up into little bits then wearing our flesh as their new fursuit. Human leather fursuit that is.

Don't know their names, but very very creepy people. They were in line with me at an elevator when I just decided to take the stairs.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
Liedt, I know those guys! I've talked to them, and they're actually pretty cool. But I can understand why you'd think that :D

Nah, those two are good guys.  They might be hippies, but I wouldn't call them creepers

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
Ungulates, and ungulate propoganda.  :P  >:(

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
Ungulates, and ungulate propoganda.  :P  >:(
Man, you need to join the revolution   :D

This isn't true about the fandom everywhere, but in Utah, furries have a tendency to, uh... be late. We planned a party for this weekend, and the host got home 7 hours late. Yeah.

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 04:59:58 am »
I would have to say the most recent annoyance would have to be that four furries at my school want to pet my hair...  x_x

I am not a cat!

Besides that I would have to say that the thing that drives me crazy would be the Yiffers as always. They give us furries a bad name.
 :goldpissed:
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Richter

• Giants are godless killing machines.
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 06:23:16 am »
The ones that roll in drama like dogs roll in smelly things, that's about it.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 11:43:10 am »
I could say a lot about fursuits, but I'm not lest I get flamed.  x_x  But I tend to see a lot of muzzles on fursuit heads that have been shaved down way too much. Sometimes it looks like all the fur on the snout and maybe around the cheeks, etc. was shaved down all the way to the faux fur backing. In other words, the snouts/muzzles look too flat and smooth. I'm sure it's not totally like that on real animals. I think some makers need to study reference pics better and/or learn to better use a scissors/electric shaver when trimming/shaving fur around a muzzel.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 11:49:18 am »
Drama Llamas. The ones who obssess over "coming out" about being furry. Its a hobby guys, you decide your own level of involvment. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean you have to shout it from the rooftops for all to hear.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline R.A.Blackpaws

• Species: Fox, primarily. Bits of wolf, lioness and red panda in the brain too.
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 03:03:15 pm »
Actually, a lot of what drives me nuts about the fandom has already been posted.  The yiffers, the elitism, the specieism (sp), the drama llamas and drama magnets...

Also, I get driven buggy about the people who panic over "coming out" as a furry. Like Kaloyan said, it's a hobby. A past-time. An interest. Something you do for FUN. No drama needed.
"Be true to what you are.  Never hide your true self from anyone.  The moment you do, you stop living and start...existing.  From experience, life loses a lot when you simply...exist"

Archon Snowfur (my wolf side), from the story "Graduation Day, 2190".

"Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:03 pm »
Those that assume because I am a fur and I'm female, I will want to have yiffy roleplays with them. Even worse, a lot of them didn't take no for an answer. I had a lot of problems with this on another furry board a while ago, and ended up leaving because of it.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »
Things in the furry fandom that drives you crazy.
Bad grammar.   ...     j/k :D

Seriously, I haven't noticed much that really annoys me that's specific to the fandom itself.  Probably the thing that annoys me the most is people believing things for bad reasons, and while that's rampant in the fandom, it's certainly not specific to it.

I'm not sure what the term "yiffer" is suppose to be as it's being used in this thread, but if it's what it sounds like, then I actually find it annoying that people complain about this so much. Seriously, I wish society would get over it's hangups about sex. There is nothing inherently wrong with sex.  However, if by "yiffer" you mean someone that is overly pushy with requests to yiff, then you should really find a better term, or better yet, don't use a term and instead actually spell it out. Defining some term for it too easily leads to name calling, and that only leads to greater hostility and helps no one.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »
No drama needed.

Unless of course you are making Furry: The Movie, in which case you need oodles of drama!

Part of the Script
FURRY: Hey, I've got something to tell you.
FRIEND: What is it?
FURRY: I'm...I'm a furry.
FRIEND pauses in shock.  Dramatic music plays.  Focus in to FRIEND's eyes.
FURRY: I'm sorry...
FRIEND: I never would have thought...you?  This...this changes everything.
FRIEND puts hand on head in shock.  
FRIEND: How could you do this to me?!?!
FURRY: It's not my fault.
FRIEND: No, don't start with that.
FURRY: It's not my fault!!!
Both start balling.  OTHER FRIEND walks into the room.
OTHER: What's going on in here?  I could hear you all the way down the hall!
FRIEND turns to OTHER.
FRIEND: ___'s a furry.
OTHER gasps and back-slaps FURRY.

In the end, Furry: The Movie gets rave reviews and two Oscar nominations, although it performs nominally in the box office.  
And it's all because of DRAMA :P

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:17 pm »
No drama needed.

Unless of course you are making Furry: The Movie, in which case you need oodles of drama!

Part of the Script
FURRY: Hey, I've got something to tell you.
FRIEND: What is it?
FURRY: I'm...I'm a furry.
FRIEND pauses in shock.  Dramatic music plays.  Focus in to FRIEND's eyes.
FURRY: I'm sorry...
FRIEND: I never would have thought...you?  This...this changes everything.
FRIEND puts hand on head in shock.  
FRIEND: How could you do this to me?!?!
FURRY: It's not my fault.
FRIEND: No, don't start with that.
FURRY: It's not my fault!!!
Both start balling.  OTHER FRIEND walks into the room.
OTHER: What's going on in here?  I could hear you all the way down the hall!
FRIEND turns to OTHER.
FRIEND: ___'s a furry.
OTHER gasps and back-slaps FURRY.

In the end, Furry: The Movie gets rave reviews and two Oscar nominations, although it performs nominally in the box office.  
And it's all because of DRAMA :P

:D  :D  :D LOL! Oh, how I'd love to see somebody do a masquerade skit of something like this at AC or another con. It would be hilarious!

Offline Feather_Claw

• Not all who wander are lost. ~J.R.R Tolkien
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »
Truth be told, the furry thing that bugs me the most is furries who won't live and let live.

I don't care what species you are, whether you yiff or not, whether you have a fursuit or not....none of this matters. I agree that, yes, post *&&%&^ing CSI we've gotten a terrible rap. I hate that if I admit to people that yes, for me, this has a certain spiritual and sexual penchant for me that I will be used as the token furry in that person's tiny pea-sized brain whenever the topic comes up. I will be the brush with which all are tarred because humans are dumb.

To this effect, sometimes I just say, 'for fun, I wear this for fun' when it reality the truth is much deeper than that. I hate that. Because that's denying another part of the fandom. Yes we're trying to do damage control in a puritan sexually-repressed society. But there are those of us who yiff.
And I don't believe lying about that is any better than avoiding the subject of 'what is a furry' in order to not draw fire from idiots.

It's sort of like in the light of breed-specific legislation and pit bull witch hunts that there's an attempt to paint the dogs as loveable all-around good for everyone dogs, while ignoring truths about what they are, which are a high energy, intense dog who demand a lot and in return give their lives, but are certainly not for everyone.
-If humanity is to deem my spriit a sort of insanity you may keep it---I will dance with soul and howl where the wild things are in joyous madness. Nature may be violent red in tooth and claw but red is also the colour of life...

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Greetings, Earthlings! You will obey me!!
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:49 am »
I'm with Feather on this. I don't mind yiff, as long as it's not in plain view. Seriously, I could not care less what people do in private, or even what someone whispers to another in public. Truthfully, I am a Christian, but my views on sex differ completely from "conventional" ones. I just like to avoid seeing it when I least expect it!

It annoys me to no end when I go to FurAffinity and see yiffy artwork right on the front page. Don't get me wrong, I've come across some of it that was artistically gorgeous. I don't mind the existence of it one bit--I would just like it to be hidden until someone chooses to uncover it for themselves. It should never be in plain sight where someone (children in particular) can see it without being prepared for it. I suppose one might say that when the box of sex and love is only opened with the utmost respect for the power contained in the spiritual aspects of intimacy, there are few things more beautiful in this world. And it doesn't matter what tradition, culture or subculture it hails from.

...But then again, this is coming from a modern-day hippie. Let's all be one with the Universe, man...  (:
Just what exactly is a nerf, and how does one herd them?...

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
It annoys me to no end when I go to FurAffinity and see yiffy artwork right on the front page.
If yiffy artwork is showing up, that means either your account is set up to allow it, in which case you have nothing to complain about. Or it wasn't properly tagged, in which case report that it isn't properly tagged so that it can be so tagged. They DO make an effort to keep "adult" images separate. But for anyplace that deals with that many images, some are going to slip through sometimes.

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Male
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:17 am »
Vararam, you do have a point there. I just happened to go there yesterday to submit something. I just use it as an image hosting site and rarely go there. I didn't know they had a "report" function, though. I'll have to look into that.

...Or I could just stick with ImageShack.  :-[

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »
Another thing, our reputation in the public eye.

Just the other day I was explaining to a group of Warhammer 40k kids that I play with (They all suck) how furries were not Yiffers, when a person (A complete stranger!) walks up to me and says, "Excuse me! There are children here and they just heard you. I would like to ask you to either stop talking about such an inappropriate topic, or leave the shop." (SHE DOESN'T EVEN WORK AT THE PLACE I WAS AT) There was only one kid, on the other side of the room, and he was too busy looking at Domo lunch boxes to notice.
GHAAAAAAAA!  :goldpissed: x_x (:
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 02:03:46 am »
There are a few thins.
As a counter point to Kubuk (you brought it up first) is pushing the idea  furry is JUST a hobby. Furry is just a hobby to one person but one can only speak for themselves but not for the rest of us. Furry is a integral  part of who I am it is a lifestyle. If I want to were my tali in pubic on any Saturday or decorate my home and truck with Sanrio items, it my life and tail. I do have a very strong sense of individualism.

The second issue likewise is furry is something I need to keep behind close doors. I am very public but  I will not randomly scream I am a furry but If somebody ask why the tail or the heloo kitty backpack I will readly explain I am a furry; why one ask? it is because I volenteer in politics enough to know one need to control inforamtion. I coudl say it is nothing and risk the person making a wrong assumption about me or speak and create clarity to what I believe

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Male
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 05:41:02 am »
Another thing, our reputation in the public eye.

Just the other day I was explaining to a group of Warhammer 40k kids that I play with (They all suck) how furries were not Yiffers, when a person (A complete stranger!) walks up to me and says, "Excuse me! There are children here and they just heard you. I would like to ask you to either stop talking about such an inappropriate topic, or leave the shop." (SHE DOESN'T EVEN WORK AT THE PLACE I WAS AT) There was only one kid, on the other side of the room, and he was too busy looking at Domo lunch boxes to notice.
GHAAAAAAAA!  :goldpissed: x_x (:

Bah! People these days are prudes (I question whether she really knew what the word even meant). I can understand hiding pictures, but simply pretending universally that sex does not exist just harbors confusion. Once youngsters turn eighteen, parents suddenly have to say to them "Oh, by the way, it did exist after all, sorry about that... but you'll just learn from instinct, I'm sure......."  :-[

I watched "Rated R" films when I was eight years old. I felt I was ready, and my parents didn't object. I turned out okay (mostly).  (:

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:02 am »
I watched "Rated R" films when I was eight years old. I felt I was ready, and my parents didn't object. I turned out okay (mostly).  (:

Same here. I don't why people shelter their kids so, it never turns out good - for them or the kids. Especially the kids.

Idk...the drama bothers me. Since I try to avoid it in real life, why would I want to hop online and get even more of it? Some people just can't help it though, I guess.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Male
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »
The ones who obssess over "coming out" about being furry.

...Yeahthis. Also 'furry priders' that feel the need to shove it down everyone's throat that they're a furry or whatever.

And people who not only think 'fursecution' is a thing, but actively make a point of complaining whenever they see said 'fursecution' about. So I reckon drama as a whole would be a good umbrella term for what annoys me with this fandom. :v

Last.fm Tumblr SoFurry Weasyl

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »
So basically, is there anything in or about the furry fandom that drives you crazy.
Creepers. And not the kind that hiss and explode :D

Seriously, I've been standing in the lobby in fursuit listening to someone talk, and I had someone come up and start necking me.  Or the guy who followed me around and talked about how a long-distance relationship could work (even though I had never talked to him before). Or the baby fur who asked to be his "father" or "master" the first time he ever talked to me.

I've straight up told people they creeped me out because I'm tired of it, yet that STILL doesn't get the point across.  They keep doing it!  And the number of creepers I've had in the fandom is insanely larger than how many I've had elsewhere. 

Also, I hate when people try to talk to you on a messenger when your status says "busy" or "away." This happens every single day without fail.

This.

I hate creepers as well.

Offline Syndath

• Male
    • ask.fm
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 09:59:46 pm »
People who blame any and all criticism they receive on "furry hate" or being "misunderstood" as if it's the only possible reason somebody could dislike them.

The mentality that open-mindedness means blind tolerance of everything under the sun.

Those two particular things drive me really crazy every time I see them. Furry lingo gets on my nerves too, but not quite that bad.