Author Topic: How Furry Are You?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
How Furry Are You?
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:16 am »
I've heard a lot of people talking about being furry, and what it means to them. There have been a lot a RP's that can get really furry. But I wonder, just how furry are you? In the public eye, how far do you take your furry commitment. Do you furuit, in public or just at cons? Do you just draw or write novels? Or does all your furriness begin and end on the internet? How furry are you?

I guess I will start:
As of now, most of my furriness is on the web. I dabble with digital furry art, and am planning three furry related novels right now. I'm afraid to say, I don't do many furry activities in public. About as far as I have gone is draw an anthro once, and noone noticed me drawing, so that really doesn't count. I chalk this up to parents. I still live with mine, being a minor and all, so I have this fandom more or less hidden from them. Soon, when I move out, I will be more and more furry. Possibly wear a tail, if not a fursuit, but no promises on that. I will most definitely go to cons, write furry novels, and continue to draw furry pictures. If anything, I will probably be a handler for a fursuiter. :)
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: How Furry Are You?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:58 am »
That really depends on what scale you use.  If you measure it by how much people know about it IRL than i'm not a furry.  ;)

However,  i do spend a massive amount of time here,  in various IRC channels and servers,  and drawing furry art.  I have probably 6 commissioned pictures of my fursona and a few that were gifted to me.  I spend practically all day around furry stuff.

I don't suit,  i may in the future but that'll be when i'm off and on my own and have money which... For all of those things will likely be over a decade for me. (it'll be worth it.)  I don't go to cons,  but again,  i plan to when i'm on my own and can pay for it.  For now... I'm here.  :3

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:22:57 am »
number of aquaintances knowing about my furryness: 2
total number of people knowing my secret suiting identity: 4

apart from that, no one knows anything. i'm of age and looking at moving out when i feel like it. but this means keeping it a secret from my family because they are a little old timey if ya know what i mean.

compared to some extreme furs ive met here and there online i'm not at all. but compared with my friend the Redneck...i'm about 80% weird nerd  (:
I've got a fursuit and i don't intend on only wearing it to cons. getting out is all part of it, people round these parts have NO IDEA what furry is so that makes it easier.
I took up drawing when only one of my IRL friends does this (though ive got a long way to go) and i would read plenty of furry novels if i owned some. but i'm a very picky reader, so far the only book ive read more than once is the Inheritance Cycle from Paolini.
all of which i have kept secret from my family and most of my friends. keeping the "normal family mechanic" aura around my real self.

secrets can break people but i enjoy it sometimes, exept for when you are busting to say "aww man fursuiting at subway was epic" and you know you cant  :o

thats me summed up,
Paws
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:18 am »
Fursuit this summer. Bought a tail for FurIdaho.
Three cons this year, hopefully four next year.
I'm on IRC, AIM, Facebook, Furtopia, and Furaffinity constantly.
I just attended my first local fur meet and I am planning to go to the next one.
I've drawn my avatar twice. I'm using a commissioned one now. I'm getting a con badge done for every convention I'm gong to.

I'm just going for it.

Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:23:11 am »
Loyal fursuiter (especially if I've obtained/produced my most recent fursuit six months ago).
Signed up to FurAffinity.
Attended many furmeets especially those in London.
Obtained a con badge.
Despite attending only one convention in the last two years, I intend in going to ConFuzzled again this year and hopefully going to MidWest FurFest (also this year) as well.
I'm frequently on Furtopia, The Furry Forum, and Facebook.

Offline victorwolf

• Male
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:58:19 am »
i draw all the time, i'm still wrighting my book, and i wear a collar to school so far.
i will eventually by a fursuit and go around town for fun. and will eventually go to fur cons.
a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »
Let us  see:
I go to may fur meets in the Portland Oregon Area. I do some furry art.
Attempt to Kittylization of  my apartment, I have 37+ Sanrio Plushies, I sleep with seven of them. Including other collectables I am up to 60+ items. I sleep on Hello Kitty Sheets and comforters. I am looking  at Hello Kittylization of my Bathroom.  I carry a Hello Kitty backpack in public. I know to wear my tail in public. I been to 4 furry convention  and one Anime and One Science Fiction con. I am a regular attendee of our local Anime, Geek and SF conventions. I am a panelist at Kumoricon ( anime ).
I am dangerously furry.

I will be doing an older anime fan  panel at Kumoricon and plan to go to Rainfurrest and push for a Gremuzzle, Christian furry and if I comfortable with the material a Hello Kitty / Sanrio Panel

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
Like glowstick i am a minor so i cant really do much. I plan on going to some cons and obtaining a fursuit.
In the meantime i draw ALOT, i have some more to post but cant at the moment, i have drawn many different heads and faces, but havent started on my fursona, saving that for when i can REALLY draw,. I am working on a furry novel at the moment and will post more about it later. Glowstick knows about most of my novel and drawings. Over time i will become more and more furry but for now im stuck and just waiting for my chance.
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:29 am »
At the risk of diverting my own thread, I thought you were a pilot wanderer. Maybe I heard something somewhere or I misheard something or I might be thinking of someone else. But I could swear I was told that you were a pilot. If so, how are you a pilot and a minor. I thought there was some age requirement. I'm sorry if I'm all wrong, It happens sometimes to me.

Anyways, I too am just biding my time for a drawing of my fursona. I hope to advance in my drawing skills before even attempting the feat. Today, I drew a Shadow from my novel(Shadows are eight foot, leathery skinned, black, furless, VERY thin dogs. There are some other features, but I won't go into too much detail here). It came out looking like a lumpy potato with some sort of head and four legs of all different sizes! :'(  Dogs just aren't my forte. I'll keep practicing though, and eventually will get over my block against animals.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Wanderer

• Male
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »
Glowstick, i am working on getting my private pilots license and i am 17. The minimum age requirement for some states is 15 :o. I am taking lessons and have flown a plane 4 times since i started, i only been on 5 lessons, i am doing this for my career as a professional pilot. It's okay i get the same question alot. Theres a pic on my facebook somewhere you can look.

Back on track

I try to draw alot but most of the time the come out as scribbles or a bolbous baloon. Cant wait till i am able to get a fursuit. It is going to be EPIC

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Bane_enaK

• I live and die, proud of my people gaining
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:14:29 pm »
I have a few friends that know IRL, but not too many do...not that I hide it, I just don't go around saying, "Hi, I'm a furry!"
I draw occasionally and am on AIM/MSN/Facebook/IRC most of the time. Sometimes come around the forums, but not as often.
Not going to get a fursuit, but I plan on getting a collar and a tail. Actually, I'm ordering my first collar today! ^-^

I usually act a lot different online as opposed to real life, but I'm pretty open as a furry either way. It's not the most important thing in my life, but it's pretty important :P
Mated to Arashi_Calunata

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:29 pm »
Most people I'm friends with know I'm a fur. I like to draw and write about furries, and usually wear a collar, and if it is cold, a hat with ears. I sometimes go to local meets, and I would like to get a tail and paw-gloves at some point.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Lynk

• Male
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 02:53:01 pm »
Nothing in real life, only online, which consists of this forum, FAF, and a few webcomics. So not much, really.

Offline Sylvine Srevlis

• The cat among dogs. :)
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:50 pm »
I'd say very. 8) Even when I was little. For example, whenever everyone else played house, I'd only play if I could be the family pet. I never played with dolls, only stuffed animals (and I have hoards of them!). I barked at the mailman every day. I used to make 'fursuits' out of construction paper, and made a new 'fursona' almost weekly. I still swat at leaves and pounce on bugs, and have perfected many animal sounds. Furry has always sort of come naturally for me, it's not something I learned. I'm amazed it took me this long to find out about the Furry fandom, but I'm glad I did!  :D

I have been calling myself furry for less than a year, and not everyone knows about it yet. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it though. My parents know, and a lot of my closest friends know. I guess it will become more apparent once I actually get my fursuit! The only thing I'm hesitant about is people who have only heard of the darker side of furry getting the wrong impression, and me having to go into a lengthy explanation... Again.  >:( But beyond potential fursuiting, I enjoy anthro art as well as animal art and anatomy in general, and I am interested in visiting a con someday.

In other news, I took a big step in stepping out of my comfort zone. Today I got a pen and drew paw pads on my palms, then walked through the store giving a friendly wave to anyone who glanced my way. A lot of people smiled and waved back. It was random, but fun!  (:
"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there." - Owl City

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:23 pm »
That actually sounds fun, drawing pads on your hands. Also, I noticed several people wear collars in public. I haven't tried this, but they sound uncomfortable. That's just me, though. Only two people know about my furriness. And the rest can just figure it out for themselves in my opinion. Sylvine's post reminded me of my childhood. As I recall I used to pretend to be a frog from time to time. I would constantly play "dog" with my own dogs. More recently though, I have found that when a dog barks, whimpers, or makes any general sound at me, I am tempted to make the same sound back. Most of the time I do, but I try not to when other people are around. I don't know, it's kind of fun to bark at a dog, then he or she barks back, and you repeat the process.

PLUR

Offline Wanderer

• Male
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »
Looking back i had some strange dreams. I used to dream that my pets were my real parents and i could carry conversations with them. In fact to this day i still talk to my pets. I get strange looks from my family but i could care less. I would always have or be some sort of animal in any games i played, mostly transformations into an animal. I always to seem to associate better with animals then real people. And i always where dogtags be it military or the dogbone ones. Getting a fursuit is a goal of mine and i look forward to it.

I think i'll try the paw thing, soulds like a hoot and a half. :D

Anyone else talk to or carry conversations with animals? Be it in human or animal tounge?

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:08 pm »
I talk to dogs, and well any animal really. It's just I only see dogs and cats as able to understand what I say. They sure seem to sometimes. I used to talk to my dogs as if they were my best friends, and just blabber on about all the things going on in my life. Pets are great listeners.

PLUR

Offline Sylvine Srevlis

• The cat among dogs. :)
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 10:32:23 am »
I talk to my pets all the time. They are better listeners and far less judgmental that any human would be. :) My own special companion animal is a chihuahua named Cookie, and she's 3 pounds of pure firepower. She's a great listener too, and I swear the little dog has a sense of humor! I talk to her about everything in human tongue, and also occasionally in her own language.

My family has 7 dogs. Whenever any of our dogs get out of line, I imitate a wolf and snarl, growl, and snap in their direction if they persist. I have earned their respect as a pack leader. If I raise a howl, they all follow my example. Being raised around dogs, I guess this cat will always be part of the dog pack too, haha!

Sad thing is, my family, including most of my extended family, are all either are allergic to cats or just hate them in general. They're all hardcore dog people. I guess I'm just a rebel in that. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I dislike dogs, but I feel a much deeper connection to the subtle nature of cats. I have especially been able to bond with semi-wild cats, and it truly is the relationships you have to work hardest at that are the most rewarding. ;)
"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there." - Owl City

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:05 pm »
I'm pretty furry alright! Addicted to everything feline, always choosing beast races in games, meowing, having lots a plushies, I draw and RP and am even starting my own comic :3 do I guess I'm pretty commited, but I'll REALLY get into it when I get my fursuit, ears and tail, and all that awesome sauce
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 04:26:17 pm »
I scored a 78% furry in a poll once. That sounds a bit low, some of the questions were odd, like "Do you eat grass when you feel sick." I'd put it around 90%  ;)

I will fursuit with any excuse, never travel without it. Most all of my internet time is spent on furry sites. I keep a skunk plush in my car. I will openly bring it up with anyone that gives me any reason to. All of my close relatives know about my suit, so do several neighbors, friends. I feel a high level of closeness with my fursona.

There are times I keep it close. I don't make it obvious to strangers. Unless I'm going to a meet or a con, and wearing my tail. :D
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:47:49 am »
I love to draw "Furry Art", I'm making some of my my fur-art like a comic xD where there's words and stuffs. But not like a normal "comic book" o.O; because I don't do it that way. My whole family knows about me being Furry as well. I loved their reactions when I showed them my tail/suit and stuffs. I have worn my partial out on the "streets" ONCE lol for Halloween xD but, that wasn't much because no one was really outside that night ;< and like...I dunno. But the people who gave me candy liked to see it :'3! I have been to an Anime Convention three times, going this fourth time as well. Wore my partial there twice xD -it- keeps growing. This year, I have my "full suit", so yeah. I HOPE I could have a chance to go to a Furry Convention on eday though =< but yeah. I always, ALWAYS wear my ears and MOST of the times I also wear my Skunk tail outside ^^ when my family goes out to eat and stuffs. I talk to my kitty cats a lot of the time also >w< they make me feel all warm and cozy! Inside and out lol. I would like to actually wear my fursuit out in the day time with people around, I'm REALLY shy and I would like -need- someone else probably doing it with me buuut...*Sigh* Yeah xD; I dunno. On YouTube, I have some videos with my Furry as well :3! *shrugs* I dunno -how- Furry I am~!

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Ol Rab

• Species: Honey Badger
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 09:15:36 pm »
This can be interpeted a number of ways. If you mean as in how actually furry I am..I'm not furry, I am quite scaly.

If you mean how involved in the fandom I am..I am downright fluffy.

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »
What I meant was, exactly how involved are you with the fandom. Do you furuit, if so where. Just to cons, or everywhere you can in public. Do you just wear a tail. Maybe your furriness ends with drawing or writing. This is what I mean by the question, "How furry are you?"

PLUR

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:16 pm »
RPing. Any chance I get, I go animal. That's it [SO FAR]
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Blackrose13

• Species: Fox/wolf/corgi/other canine
  • The furry little freak
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »
I post on here, am writing a furry novel (teen romance  ;)), and bark. I eventually will fursuit and go to cons. Getting a collar and ears/tail soon. I cant draw very well (At all) so my own art is out, and apparently my computer only knows the dark side of furry, cause i search up furry and get gay yiff (no problems with gays or yiffers, but not my style), and this is with safesearch on!
"Snuzzles!"
Profile pic by Saiyu
pm me if you want me to make something into D&D homebrew for you (sources will be credited of course)
Official Game master status! :D
"As long as theres music, ill keep on dancing!"