Author Topic: Dating my first furry  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Furryboyfriend

Dating my first furry
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:20 pm »
So... Um. Hi. My name's Nick. My boyfriend (Yes, gay) is a wolf furry and I just wanted to learn as much as I can. I'll be honest, I'm kinda uncomfortable with it right now, and it kinda wierded me out at first. Ot's not like he wears a tail or anything, but it's just kinda odd to me. I don't understand why... 
I guess if someone could just explain what it is and why people do it I'd be more comfortable...

Offline Drake Fireborne

• Male
Re: Dating my first furry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »
Well, stick around long enough and you'll learn everything about us xD

Let's see... Furries, for the most part, are just people who are fans of the Anthropomorphic style of art... That is, art that has both human and animal characteristics. Common examples from Disney would be the beast from Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood, as well as The Lion King, and more recently, Alpha and Omega. There are several other examples. A TV show currently on Cartoon Network called Regular Show features several anthropomorphic creatures.

Many furries will take on "Fursona's" which are simply furry characters, much like a D&D character... You'll often see artwork of peoples fursona, and fursuiters will almost always use their fursona as a template for their suit. While on sites such as this one, most of us use this persona rather then our actual information, as a fun way to interact with each other.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if there's anything in particular you'd like to know about, I or someone else would be happy to explain. As for your question "What it is and why people do it", for me personally, I love the artwork, and, being a heavy player of D&D, as well as other similar games, I'm all for having a character and interacting with others via that character. Again, that's for me personally.
Well, the artwork and the fursona's brought me here, but I'll be around for a long time because I've met some great people and made some close friends. I haven't been here long, but there are some really great people who are furry, on this website in particular. I'm assuming your boyfriend is one of those people :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:34:42 pm by Drake Fireborne »
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

Offline Baylyn

• Female
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:56 pm »
Well I can tell you why I do it... Its not something I choose rather then was born feeling this way. My fursona is my personality and me that most dont see Ive always felt more like a wolf rather than a human being I also enjoy the art work but I think the best part is the people you meet. You will meet possibly some of your best friends here because they are all amazing. I met my mate here and we are going strong! I hope you stick around get to know it and maybe you will like it :) But your an awsome person to get to know what your mate likes other than pushing it down right away  :goldwink:

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »
For me, I just like and appreciate the cute things in life. Things that incite a "d'awww", or just make me smile and feel happy. And when you get into it, there's a nice little community around it that always feels welcoming. You can do whatever you want and be whatever you want here. And it's fun! I've made a handful of friends in this community so far, even with my fairly limited participation so far. But I'm looking forward to meeting several of these people in a week and a half at my first convention.

So yeah, it's really just a hobby. Something fun to pass the time, and keep me happy.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:33 am »
It's worthy to note that the furry fandom is a very eclectic culture.  There are many intersections with other subcultures; a few I can think of off the top of my head are train furs, deaf furs, christian furs, and raver furs.  Moreover, most things that can be said of the culture can only be said as generalities; there are very few things that are universally true with respect to the culture.  Asking on here is one way to get a somewhat broad spectrum view on the culture, but even still, you may want to ask your boyfriend what furrydom means to him; his experience with the culture could very well be different from that of everyone on these forums.

For me, furrydom is a pleasurable interest to take part in and a group of friends to get to know.  It's a medium through which I've expanded my own horizons and a context to pursue interests that would otherwise be left neglected.  It's kinda hard to concisely explain what it means to be furry; it's a lot like trying to completely explain to someone what it means to be American and why one might choose to continue living in the US as opposed to moving elsewhere.  Is there anything more specific that you'd like to know?

Also...

My boyfriend (Yes, gay)

...see the "sexual orientation" section here.  Straight furs form a pluraity of furs, but unlike common culture, they do not form a majority of furs.  In other words, gay relationships aren't out of place in furrydom.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:06:41 am »
All of the replies have been good so far.

Yes, ten furries will probably give you ten different answers as to why they're furry.

I don't care that you're gay. It is one of the good things about the furry fandom in my opinion that it mostly seems to attract open-minded, non-judgmental types.

In my case, I live in a small town and only found out about furry because of the Internet. I like cats. Besides, furry is something fun and different.  :)

Here's a link that gives a brief introduction to the furry fandom and lists reasons why people associate with it.

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Furry_fandom

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:26:27 pm »
Furry to me means being your favorite animal (Wolf for me) and buying collars, and toys to play with. I'm furry and love it!  :)

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 08:09:05 pm »
Probably the best answer you can get is from your boyfriend himself!  As other furs have pointed out, homosexuality is pretty commonly accepted in the furry fandom, so you don't need to really worry about that here.   :)  Furry means different things to different people.  I just grew up with media involving anthropomorphic animals, and never grew out of it, and now I use them in my own art and stories.  A lot of furries have a fursona, a character or avatar of sorts they use to identify themselves.  They use it in art, stories, or role-playing games, and some even make or buy costumes of their fursona to wear at conventions and meet-ups with other furries.
There IS a more sexual side to the fandom that exists (I know this isn't the adult section, but it should be addressed, if I need to remove it, just tell me) which not all furries participate in.  It's not nearly as major or important to most furs as the media exposure makes it seem at times (but hey, they're just going to show what people want to watch, and most furries are boring and normal and thus make terrible television  ;)).  If this is what's concerning you, start a talk about boundaries and what you are/aren't willing to do and bring it up.  You should do this anyway, regardless of whether or not he's a furry.

Here's some statistics collected about the fandom:
http://klisoura.com/ot_furrysurvey.php
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 03:08:42 am »
From my perspectus (not that you need it, these guys are all spot on :D)

Being a furry is a mixture between a hobby and a lifestyle, you don't choose either.  You can't force yourself to like a guitar, you can't force yourself on what your beliefs.  Theres always this base persona that you are :).

For example I'm enthusiastic, permistic, sensative, Gay, Furry.  All these things make up me.  I used to dance on the street because I love music.  I'm not afraid to sing (i'm a singer) where ever I am.  I'm a dungeon master and a role player.  I love lazer tag and am a chess champion.  I'd never want to let anyone down and would help anyone I could.

In short, this is a small part of him that melds to make him a whole person.  Like a checkered blanket.  Him being himself and not forced makes his colours shine and brings the best of himself out.

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »
Yea... maybe you should talk to him about it since everyone has their own reason and ways they express their furry side. We can all sit here and tell you why we are furries and what it means to us, but you're not dating us. You're dating him. And his opinions and thoughts should be most important and most influential.

And seriously, not many people care if you are gay, straight or asexual. There are tons of different people out there and the majority of furries, from what I have seen, are actually gay.
My FA

I come and I go

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »
I've always been an eccentric. An (Omnivorous and Carnivorious) animal lover. An Artist in at least outlook. A person who would prefer being a cat. And in some ways, adding that with a soldier. I joined this fandom after combining all these into one cocktail of a human being, and then discovered furry. I felt it was a niche move. I occupied my little cubbyhole in the wall of furries. However, this is like the others said; Every furry will tell you a different story, by a small or large margin.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.