Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
Tablets
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:39:24 pm »
 I've been looking at buying a graphics tablet so i can has me some digital drawing action! but alas, i am at a loss. Which to choose? I know not. I've been strongly considering the Wacom Bamboo Pen as it has all the fancy shmancy pressure sensitivity and accuracy needed to draw pretty pictures at a more than affordable price, but would like some input from some fellow furs. Those of you who use tablets, which ones do you have? and to those who have the bamboo pen, how do you like it?
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Mylo

Re: Tablets
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:13 pm »
I bought the cheapest wacom tablet they had at the store...smallish screen (~6 inches), white, pressure sensitivity...
I absolutely love it thought!  You'll never want to go back to a mouse again ( at least for me ;D)
I don't know what new features tablets have now, but I would definitely recommend investing in one...it's kind of difficult to get used to at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty awesome!
I bought mine four or five years ago for about $100

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:31 am »
$45 (Usually $79, was on sale) Medion 12x9 inch USB tablet, does everything I need it to, has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity when the driver's installed (I lost mine). It's lasted for a long time, and even if it didn't it's not that much to replace. Also you can lift up its cover flap and put an A4 or smaller picture into it and trace easily.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56:39 pm »
I have no experience with Wacom tablets,

I use an Adesso CyberTablet 12000, I've had it for five years, maybe a little longer, and It's always worked well for me.
I paid $150 when I got it, I think they go for $100 to $120 now,

the only downside to this tablet is that it has no pen angle / tilt sensitivity, but it works well for me.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Iriden

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
I use a Wacom Intuis 3.
I've had it quiet a few years now.

Since they last so long, I really, highly recommend getting the best you can afford.
But in the same note I wouldn't go over maybe 160 or so, you don't need a professional artist $250 plus one.

I say this because I know what it's like using 'dated' and less expensive models.
It really makes a difference once you've had and lost so to speak.

You want to be on the higher end of tilt, pressure, sensitivity, response, and durability tech.
However, this is subjective because it really depends on what your doing.
I do a lot of fine art photo modifications and tweaks and paint with programs like Painter 11 and others that can really be held back by more basic tablets.

If you just wana sketch, ink, color fill, and do some shading a bamboo would rock.

Ease of use features are a must though in my opinion.
A tablet that has a few programmable buttons and a pen that does too.
Wacom is a good brand and company.
They offer good and consistent updates and help.
Their warranty is cool and even the basic tablets have nice features. (They gave me extra nubs with all mine! :3)

I really suggest reading some online tech reviews. :3 Those can be extremely helpful because good ones field test the complicated spec side of it, while offering human opinion too.
Nerds rock.

Luck.
They are soooooooooooo awesome.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:22:16 pm by Iriden »
"Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War."

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:02:35 am »
For the most part it really depends on what you plan on doing, and how often you plan on doing it.

From what I've heard, the Bamboo tablet is worth getting.  Between my schooling, work, and personal use I've used Wacom products for over ten years with my latest being the Intuos 4.  Before that I had a 6x8 regular Wacom tablet (the predecessor to the Bamboo) that was about 5 years old before I replaced it, and it was still in great condition (I gave it to my brother). 

From what I understand, some other tablets have batteries in the pens that need to be changed while others lack sensitivity.  Make sure to read all the tech specs before making your choice!
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »
I have used several tablets over the last 15 years. For general digital
drawing for fun the low cost Wacom Bamboo works as good or better
than any I have had. The art I have posted over the last year or so
was done with the low cost Bamboo tablet.

Best part you don't need batteries for the pen. I used to go through batteries
about every 3 months. It's nice not to need them now. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com