Author Topic: Highschool Furries  (Read 40428 times)

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• I'm so mad I could just... *BOOM*
  • Female
Highschool Furries
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »
Anyone in high school or was in high school and went through it being a furry? How was your experience? Were there other furries at your school or were you a loner? :)

Personally, being a junior and going to a school of only 150 total(about 40 per class), I'm the only one and it is tough but I'm getting used to it. :) I even yelled "Furry!" in homeroom.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:35:21 pm by BlueWolfNariko »

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

Live, love, laugh, for life is beautiful

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
Re: Highschool Furries
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:13:18 pm »
There were a number of furries there whom I knew and hung out with. Then again, we had 3.2k+ people, so...
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:31:54 pm »
I turned furry my freshman year (I'm a junior now) and so far I've survived.
I've actually met two other furries at school, although one is now going to a different school and the other graduated. (But I still maintain contact with both of them.) I've also met quite a few anti-furries too.  :o

For the most part I keep my furry-ness to myself, unless someone gets a hint from the dog collar.  :P
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• Female
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »
I turned furry my freshman year (I'm a junior now) and so far I've survived.
I've actually met two other furries at school, although one is now going to a different school and the other graduated. (But I still maintain contact with both of them.) I've also met quite a few anti-furries too.  :o

For the most part I keep my furry-ness to myself, unless someone gets a hint from the dog collar.  :P

I became furry in freshman year too,  but there are around 146 anti-furries and 3 neutral lol, I don't wear collars ot tails, but I do wear a purple scarf (like in my icon and signature) all the time at school :D

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »
I started wearing a collar to school in around February of this year.

I got a new collar in October, and a friend of mine made me a tail, and sewed cat ears on my hoodie. I'm pretty open about it, and my friends think furry is pretty cool.

Some friends from school are furs, including Kishi, so it's nice to hang out with them all the time, talking about various..furry things.

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• Female
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:21 pm »
Lucky! Like I said in a previous post, my friends, I think, think furry is weird so i can't really do anything with them.

I used to go to a school with 4k+ kids so I had better chances of finding at least 1 furry but then I most to this school DX

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »
Never knew or heard of furries or the furry fandom in high school. (1980's my time.  :-[ )

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:25 am »
Lucky! Like I said in a previous post, my friends, I think, think furry is weird so i can't really do anything with them.

I used to go to a school with 4k+ kids so I had better chances of finding at least 1 furry but then I most to this school DX

Hey, Kishi and I go to a school with around 4500 kids  :P

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• Female
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:29 am »

Hey, Kishi and I go to a school with around 4500 kids  :P

I miss going to a big school lol

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:50:16 am »
seriously,  i'm wondering how y'all even know that there are,  "furry haters,"  in your schools if you never bring it up.  Does it just come up?

I have only once in my entire life happened across someone who even already knew what furries are,  and the worst he did was make a silly (though negative) joke that no one else in the room understood.  I live in an area where there is supposedly a lot of furries about.

Highschoolers (and children in general) can be viscous.  If they don't have something to make fun of you over,  they'll make something up.  If you wear a collar,  or a tail to school,  don't be astonished if there's flak over it.  That doesn't mean,  of course,  that it wouldn't be nice if there wasn't.     (:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:53:43 am by Alsek »

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:00:16 am »
I've never had any negativity that I can remember - ironically, the most negative things I heard was from one of my furry friends, about himself (he was all depressed at the time).

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:34:31 am »
seriously,  i'm wondering how y'all even know that there are,  "furry haters,"  in your schools if you never bring it up.  Does it just come up?

I have only once in my entire life happened across someone who even already knew what furries are,  and the worst he did was make a silly (though negative) joke that no one else in the room understood.  I live in an area where there is supposedly a lot of furries about.

Highschoolers (and children in general) can be viscous.  If they don't have something to make fun of you over,  they'll make something up.  If you wear a collar,  or a tail to school,  don't be astonished if there's flak over it.  That doesn't mean,  of course,  that it wouldn't be nice if there wasn't.     (:

I have had people comment on my collar..And tail, for the couple of times I've worn it to school. Some people compliment, but some people either know what furries are, or think they know the darker sides of the fandom.

In a lighter sense, I've met several furs around the school that way. Makes for a nice conversation starter  :).

Offline Minokyoko

• Male
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:22 am »
never had any problems at school as i didn't really discover about being 'furry' till around 2002, then found my fursona about 2-3month ago.

i used to draw anthro characters in art class, my teacher and friends all thought they were cool, even had one up on display in a 'best in school art' cabinet in the main entrance to the school, wish i still had that drawing.
http://minokyoko.deviantart.com

Furcode
FCF/FT/CW f 2 a A+ C- D H+ M- P R+ T++ W Z+ Sf

Hope to have my fursuit made by then.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:52 pm »
I guess maybe I made it sound worse than it is?  Whenever a conversation happens to lead towards the "furry" topic, I try and steer it in that direction...this happens like once a month though.  But whenever this happens, everybody brings up the very inappropriate aspects if it.  I really don't see actually telling people as anything important.

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 06:24:53 pm »

Sometimes it comes up, yah, but in freshman year I was unfortunate enough to be dogged by a rather rude and aggressive 4channer, who just found out through the grapevine.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:31:00 pm »
Most of the people at my school have little to absolutely no idea what being a furry is >:(. The only real socialization time I get is at lunch and I sit at a table with about 4-5 guys. These people are my closest friends so I (being sick of secrecy) IM'd one of them who I regularly play tf2 with online "I think im furry" trying to give it a humorous spin, and with a few conversations, I finally got my secret out (to at least them) with almost no backfire. Of course, they were close friends, and like me, almost all misfits. Funny thing is that the only person in the group who knew what a furry was, out of all the stereotypes in the group, the gay (whom we all love dearly) :D. Things have been going fine ever since. Im a freshman.

Just wanted to tell that story. Probably help some people in high school who are tired of being lonely.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Battery

• Male
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 09:39:09 pm »
I'm only furry in my school and the only one who wears a collar. Most of my friends know I'm furry though and they totally support furries too. My closer friends which sit at my lunch table (which consist of 4 girls and 3 guys) figurerd out I was a furry when I showed up to a halloween party in my fursuit :D I'm pretty open about it when they ask questions.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 03:46:05 pm »
I found out of furries in HS so I guess I was x3
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Rift

• color will be added soon :)
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
There are about 6 of us at my school... being a senior and a furry isn't bad.... u can still look cooler than the freshman with a collar on, who doesn't like the collar look anyways?
Got a PS3, do u play games like Red Dead Redemption or Call of Duty: Black Ops? add me (ID- Jaymeric) =D

Offline Alexei Cheetah

• Male
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:45 pm »
No furries here, they're either non-exsistent or just afraid to tell.

Like me.....  :(
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »
Homeschooled.  ^^;

Only one furry here.   ^.~

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »
So no furries in the immediate family then?

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »
I am a current high school fur, at least until the year is over. Then I'll be a college furry! ^.^

But yeah, I don't think anyone at my school knows that I'm a furry and I really doubt that anybody in my grade even knows what a furry is. There are people in the grades below who know what a furry is, but they still don't know I'm one. :/
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!

Offline Sirius Starseeker

• Male
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:47 pm »
I'm a high school fur... unfortunately the only high school fur in my school other than me (that I know of...) would be my ex girlfriend.
The odds of there being three in about 2000 is pretty slim... As for my lifestyle I don't really act furry so no one really knows, but my friends think of it as just a generic anime cat ear and tail fetish (not as bad as it sounds... were already "the weird kinkies" for other reasons).  Ive never really cared enough either way...

Although I am the mascot!

Offline Sky Striker

• Pet of Aperture Science
  • Male
    • Portal 2 Competitive Testing Initiative
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
I'm a high school fur... unfortunately the only high school fur in my school other than me (that I know of...) would be my ex girlfriend.
The odds of there being three in about 2000 is pretty slim... As for my lifestyle I don't really act furry so no one really knows, but my friends think of it as just a generic anime cat ear and tail fetish (not as bad as it sounds... were already "the weird kinkies" for other reasons).  Ive never really cared enough either way...

Although I am the mascot!

You lucky dog (it's an expression)! You get to be a school mascot. Ours is, wait for it, Sir Winsalot. A human knight. Now that's no fun.
Hey, you! Yes, you, especially you, Stephen, listen here. We need test subjects for a Portal 2 map pack coming soon, so check out http://competitivetesting.tumblr.com/ right now, see if you have what it takes to join the Competitive Testing Initiative map pack! Don't just outshine your coop partner, destroy them!