Author Topic: What really "grinds your gears"?  (Read 70722 times)

Offline Chewy, God of Rats

• Species: Rat
  • Professional Gambler, Peaked in High School
Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Reply #800 on: October 09, 2021, 11:11:40 pm »
People who make less than 50k a year who freak out about "taxing the rich"
Mating is temporary, the stench of cheese is forever

Offline Mid Favila

• Species: Goat
  • Just a gote.
    • Homepage
« Reply #801 on: October 12, 2021, 09:40:09 pm »
Entry-level jobs that require years of industry experience, multidisciplinary skills, half a dozen certs, letters of recommendation, and a post-secondary degree. Also, internships that don't provide pay. My college wants me to start looking for places in my city to do a four-month placement at, but not only is nobody hiring (except the military, federal police and a nuclear research site, none of which I can apply for), the few places that are have insane requirements... that or they don't even pay minimum wage.

I understand wanting candidates that know what they're doing, but when you try to tell me that someone with an irrelevant cert and a degree in mechanical engineering knows more about administering a network than someone with five years' independent study, I just want to go full Kevin and put my head through a wall, you know?

Plus, where do HR types get off thinking that even a subset of those requirements are reasonable for an entry position? Like, I know it's kind of an overplayed meme at this point, but how the hell am I supposed to get experience when nobody will hire me? Geez.

Anyway, mini-rant over.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #802 on: October 13, 2021, 04:34:59 pm »
Hi Mid Favila,
I feel the pain! I understand the rage.
I know you may not be asking for answers, but I might "answer" them.  These are my opinions.

Short answer, companies think that they can get someone who is "above perfect" and will "hit the ground running" and not be a burden and "increase the metrics" and all that junk.
They do not see reality!

We ALL start somewhere, no one is born with the knowledge.  They know it, but refuse to put out a job req that is appropriate.  It is a stupid game.
Tailor your resume with a few keywords that match the keywords in the job post.  Never lie.  Much.
If you can make up your knowledge gap in 1-2 months, and keep it under wraps as you do so, claim you know it, but maybe hedge the bet by reiterating your experience level.  I think that is acceptable.  I've done it, it worked.  It's a grey area to be sure.

As a new grad or intern, i would showcase the tech skills you are gaining or have, how they apply to job, and show drive, youth, enthusiasm, etc... and "thinking out of the box" and adaptability/creativity.  People assume youth brings those things, and people assume age brings wisdom and stability.  Honestly none are 100% true, but it can help to use this stereotype as a lever if needed.

My first job out of school took me 7 months to get.  It was during the great recession.  They too posted an unrealistic job ad.  I applied to dozens of jobs, and finally got that one.  Yes, I did take the first job that was sent my way, which was a mistake for me.  Take a job that aligns with what you want to do in 5 years. Unless money is needed now, then take whatever but then be ready to bail later.  When younger, people do expect and anticipate a job switch.  As you age people expect the reverse.  It's a bummer.  I am old enough people do not want to see my resume jumping a job here and there every 5 years.  IDK.

As for internships that do not pay, tell them to go screw.  You should not work free!  Your time is valuable.  We have 2 interns now, both get paid double minimum wage and work for it.
I did an internship and got paid when I was in college.  If all Interns succumb to the idea they do not need pay, guess what, the system will adapt and take advantage.  Keep looking.  There are other jobs.  Employers want to not pay, yet have money to pay you with. If they do not have money to pay you for 4 months at lower wages, then they are a bad company that is not a good one to learn from.

And as for needing / wanting multi-disciplinary skills, they just want to know if you can understand techno-babble from some other people or go screaming away.  Just let them know you have friends who are electrical, mechanical, physics, and all do study together or some jazz that makes them think you won't run away when someone starts talking about biasing a bipolar junction transistor into  linear region.  Let them know you are open minded and not afraid to learn new things.  And as for the post-secondary requirement, they just want as much as  they can get for little money.  Employers know that if you did a masters, then you have big bills, and will take the job if offered.  Similar for bachelors degree.  But more so for masters.  Later in life, that differential is lessened for the employer.  Later in life, they want a masters degree person for the tech skills. So I would say that at the start a masters student will be more prone to being underemployed than a bachelors student.  But time lessens those.

Just land in interview face to face if possible, and make them comfortable with you.  Then you are on the way.  Later after a few years of experience, this hurdle is smaller.

In the end, all they need is an adaptable hard working intelligent person who is a constant learner, and has passion.  They know it, we know it, it is a stupid mind game.

I believe this game came about because there are employees out there who are very bad candidates and employers have gotten burned too much after hiring them.  I have worked with a few people whom I wonder how tie their own shoes.  Yet they are above my pay range.  If they can do it, we all can.  It is like fishing, keep trying.

What grinds my gears is UV burn to my eyes.  I did that by accident at home with a UV lamp used for curing glue.  Shoulda worn the goggles...

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #803 on: October 17, 2021, 07:52:36 pm »
The entity which maintains the nearby rail trail recently set up some concrete barriers to abate the illegal motor traffic on paths blazed down to the river and through private property. Orange plastic snow fencing was tried in the past, but was cut down and pushed aside. Despite the concrete barriers set up at the city limits, someone cut a path from the rail trail to the off-road path by going through the thick underbrush--likely with a weed whacker.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #804 on: October 19, 2021, 02:41:50 pm »
My job!  I hate it!
So what else is new, huh?

I am given tasks that I can not complete, yet given a deadline.  When I ask for clarification, none given, no help at all when I ask for it.
I document what I do and who I ask for help and who I have talked with and such.  Nothing.
My employer seems to think this stuff is easy and allots 3 days for something that takes 2 weeks. 

Sadly, this is how my engineering career has been since I have started it.  So I either need to do "Better", find somewhere else to work, or do something else entirely, which is the direction I am leaning now.  Too bad the things I want to do pay too little to buy food to eat and get new shoes every 3 years...
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #805 on: November 06, 2021, 09:41:01 pm »
Someone stops at the end of my street and horns for his passengers at 0700 each weekday morning. I'm already heading out to work, so I'm already up, but what about everyone else in the neighborhood?
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #806 on: November 22, 2021, 08:52:38 pm »
So, recently Kay posted her troubles getting an ID.
This caused me to look into what to do.
I discovered what Kay already learned.  Here in Colorado, hard to get ID if you have no ID.  And no way to seemingly break the cycle.

So What Grinds My Gears?
NOT Kay!
My parents do!

I sent a well written email to my folks telling them of how getting an ID in Colorado is hard if you lose ID, or it gets stolen, or you never had sufficient ID to start with.  I did this because they are getting older and my dad is often very forgetful.  I worried he might lose an ID. 
In my email to my folks, I mentioned I was helping a friend, and that I hoped they could find a solution.  Next thing I know I get a reply email saying "You are being taken advantage of, don't help that person".  Boy that burns me up!  They don't know any facts at all, and just spew a knee-jerk reaction like that?!  Gee, I am so glad no one ever had to help them in their life. (for the record, they have had plenty of help from others!)
I am OLD.  I should stop talking to them about anything at all.  This is the kind of stuff that crops up from time to time that reminds me why I am better staying distant from them.
So sad.

(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #807 on: December 05, 2021, 08:51:59 am »
Several years ago, I was told during a unit inspection that I qualified for a certain award and should apply for it. The proper form was filled out and sent, but no response. Applied several times since with the same result and no response. How does one lose a form sent electronically? If it's not approved, then an explanation should be provided. Not many perks in this outfit, but apparently someone's spiking my paperwork and hasn't the guts to say so.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #808 on: February 06, 2022, 10:48:21 am »
Some Sundays, I like to treat myself to a fast food breakfast. Tried to navigate the Wendy's site to get their price on a breakfast sandwich to no avail as they were once offered for a dollar as limited time deal and the one place on my side of town sold them. They're now about $3.49! BK offers two for $4 and sometimes McD's has BOGO. So buh-bye Wendy's!
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2022, 12:21:55 pm »
Artists who invite viewers to like and comment on their work, and then block comments.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #810 on: March 04, 2022, 03:31:30 pm »
Trying to find knowledgeable youtube channels. Color theory is either ignored or not known by 80% of artists on youtube. 90% of artists on youtube paint the same way. Even when I do find someone who paints in the style I'm looking for most of them are in the same boat with color theory as the rest. Most painters on youtube end up two ways. Overly bright every color of the spectrum and candy coated. Or from the darkest to the lightest they can possibly go on the same canvas. When I do find something on color theory it's only a percentage of what's actually needed. I watched an almost hour long vid on the 'Halo Effect'. Just recently I found a vid taking the 'Halo Effect' to it's full lesson. Demonstrating the 'Inverse Square Law' or how light changes as it travels through a painting. The real kicker is this full lesson isn't on oil painting. Computer graphic arts.

I watched a video were an artists was asked how to make orange darker. The artist demonstrated wile saying, "You have to start out with a darker orange." That's like going to google maps, clicking on directions, and google telling you you need to buy a different car to get there. And not giving directions until you have that new car.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #811 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:20 am »
How people here freak out when temperatures are below 40F.  This is not southern Florida. 
Yes, it is 5F.  Grow a pair! Gloves at Goodwill are affordable.  A hat helps and are cheap too. Thick socks are great.

I remember when it routinely got down to -20F. 
And the snow is like 1" of dry powder.  It blows away.  It sublimates don't even have to shovel it.
ARGH!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #813 on: March 29, 2022, 05:44:58 pm »
@ Kobuk
We should change everything about everything , because...

Blah

What grinds my gears is how ham radio operators here do not want chit chat on the radio repeaters, but ... having been listening to 14 repeaters in scan mode all day, I have heard only one conversation lasting like 2 minutes.  Why not talk?  No one else is?  What are they saving them for, the museum?
Dang purists!  Just start talking about the weather, ham radio, food, anything not-hot-button.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2022, 09:06:21 am »
Motorists here tend to drift across lanes when turning. They signal one direction, but drift across one or more lanes. I was nearly sideswiped by someone drifting across three lanes while making a right turn in a passenger car. The rule is to turn into the nearest lane, then signal when changing lanes.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #815 on: April 24, 2022, 03:34:54 am »
On line poker. Not for real money. Because i enjoy the game. PlayWPT. I know I've complained about this site before. So this will be a warning to anyone who, like me, enjoys the game. Going through a five or six day loosing streak is the game. Nothing wrong with that. It happens. That's not my complaint. My gripe is I just lost with a pair of 10's to someone who had a pair of 2's. No different than what has happened to me on that site in the past. So if your interested in actually playing the game that's not the site to go to.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #816 on: April 24, 2022, 09:03:03 am »
Neighbor's kid is an only child and spoiled rotten. He has access to a fleet of ORVs that are seldom off the pavement. He spends hours circling my block and the next. In the morning on Saturday, it was on the red ORV. In the afternoon, it was a green dirt bike. He pays little attention to traffic rules. Almost hit him when he zipped out of a side street and turned sharply in my direction.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #817 on: April 29, 2022, 01:26:37 pm »
Whenever I go into a restroom at a restaurant, library, or someplace else and I need to wash my hands, there's never any hot water.  >:( Never!

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #818 on: May 21, 2022, 01:25:41 pm »
Drivers who ignore the One Way sign posted at the exit to a parking lot of a public multi-purpose center. I visit the site several times each month and can usually count on this happening. Usually seasoned citizens at the wheel.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #819 on: May 24, 2022, 12:13:29 pm »
Smokers. Particuarly the following:
Any time I go someplace, there's usually somebody who says "Hey, man. You got a light?"
Are smokers that dumb that they don't know how to carry a lighter or book of matches with them when they want to light up a cig?
So I guess instead they feel the need to beg or panhandle off of somebody else?  >:(

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #820 on: May 26, 2022, 10:31:17 am »
Upper management grinds my gears.
Non technical people promising others a solution is near, when no one knows what the task at hand is, or how to solve it.

Kobuk, as far as the "got a light" thing... I have often wondered if it is a hook to engage in more social discourse?
 :D

Like lighting a cigarette leads to talking, leads to going to a bar to drink IDK. Who knows.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #821 on: June 07, 2022, 01:16:56 pm »
Went to gas up the  vehicle, and needing to wash the windshield of bugs and bird droppings. No squeegee and/or no washing solution.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #822 on: June 07, 2022, 01:47:20 pm »
Trying to get good answers off of face book. Or facebook in general.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #823 on: June 07, 2022, 10:02:57 pm »
 It bothers me that some parts of the yard refuse to grow anything.  Why?
was it poisoned log ago?
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #824 on: June 08, 2022, 03:56:18 pm »
What's grinding my gears is all the gun violence going on in America recently. Hardly a day goes by when there isn't a mass shooting being reported on the news. It's really depressing. :(
But I have a solution that will solve America's gun violence problem. Take all 300+ million Americans and line them up one behind another in a HUGE circle, with everybody pointing a gun at the person's head in front of them. At the count of 3, then FIRE! Everybody's dead. No more gun violence in America. Problem solved.