Author Topic: Gorilla killed to save child.  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Gorilla killed to save child.
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »
A four year old boy falls into the Gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo,.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/us/zoo-kills-gorilla/index.html

One wonders if they killed the animal out of fear it would kill the boy or out
of fear they would get bad press or sued for not doing enough to protect the
child.

Not being there I can't say how much danger the kid was in. There was a case
a few years back where a Gorilla protected a child from it's fellows after falliing
into a enclosure. Gorillas generally aren't that aggressive. Perhaps it had a history
of being dangerous to control.

Seems they could have distracted the animal and tranquilized it instead.

Though the parents should have been watching their child closer. The Zoo
should have their enclosures child proof..

oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Gorilla killed to save child.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:12:50 pm »
Seems they could have distracted the animal and tranquilized it instead.

Though the parents should have been watching their child closer. The Zoo
should have their enclosures child proof..

Bingo! All of the above. ;)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »
"Thane said zoo officials decided against shooting Harambe with a tranquilizer because the drug takes effect too slowly."
A gorilla in the throes of a tranq could have done even more harm to the kid. You don't just shoot something once and it goes down instantly. It takes time, and the animal is often annoyed that it just got shot.

As for how much danger he was in when he was there, the answer is a lot. Gorillas are basically pure muscle and can kill an adult human very very easily, on purpose or by accident. The kid wouldn't have stood a chance.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »
It's a shame the Zoo didn't have the enclosure child proof. The Gorilla wasn't at fault, but
died due to the fault of man. I hope they make corrections in the future.  I have seen
primate enclosures on TV that use thick plexiglass windows for viewing. This seems to
be a good idea for both the animal and man.

I understand the Gorilla exhibit has been open for over 30 years with no problems. Seems
the Gorillas were only lucky, and not safe from invasion.

Fortunately the Gorilla didn't fall on the little kid when it was shot. Perhaps the parents of
the child should be held responsible for the loss of the animal. If some lawyer talks the parents
into sueing. The suit should be to make the Zoo safer, not for money.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:01:12 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:34 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cincinnati-zoo-critics-blame-parents-of-boy-as-anger-mounts-over-shooting-dead-of-gorilla-a7055796.html

Here is some video footage of the gorilla and child.

Have to ask though how did this situation occur?  One of the mentioned quote is that the boy 'slipped on a fence'....I've yet to find a fence I could stand on never mind slip on.  Also why is he even there.

It's tragic a decision had to be made on which life was more important, because of irresponsibility

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 09:47:57 pm »
It's tragic all around. I think the worst part is--where the heck are the kid's parents in all this?! How did the kid climb the fence anyway?  >:(  I think people need to realize that just because animals in the zoo are in an enclosure, that doesn't make them any less wild, dangerous and unpredictable--and people should watch their kids even more when at the zoo or an animal park!  :'(
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 12:43:14 am »
I'm pretty sure it's going to cost the zoo more money to get a new gorilla than it would have cost the parents to get a new child.  >:(

More importantly though, how in the hell did the kid get in there?  Did somebody throw him in or something?  If we can't keep a little kid out, what exactly is keeping the gorillas in?

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:29:24 am »
I watched the Zoo director make excuses for what happened on tv, and said the Zoo
was up to  federal standards. (Passing the buck) He said the barrier was 3 ft high. Then
4 ft to a 15 ft drop into 1 1/2 ft of water. And  of course they had no problems for
almost 40 years. Well I would say they were lucky for amost 40 years till a too smart
for his own good child came along with a inattentive parent.

The barrier was more like a fence to keep people from falling into the enclosure instead of
keeping anyone out. I imagine they wanted to keep a an unobstructive view instead of putting
up a worthwhile barrier..

Too many parents these days expect everyone else to look after their children. Personally
i think little ones should be on a tether till they are old enough to obey their parents. Especially
in a crowd where they can get lost or hurt.

I saw a lady with two little kids tethered to her several years ago. I thought at the time it was a
good idea.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:35:12 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »
Personally
i think little ones should be on a tether till they are old enough to obey their parents. Especially

I saw a lady with two little kids tethered to her several years ago. I thought at the time it was a
good idea.

I have seen that a few times, but it's been very rare. Nowadays in today's "politically correct" world, if a parent put their 5 year old or under on a "leash", I'd bet there'd be a ton of backlash about it. Some people even saying it's "cruel and inhumane" treatment/punishment, and saying the parents are bad parents and unfit.

Oh, pleassssse.  :P  Spare me the PC sob story. Hey, if a harness and tether keeps your 4 year old from misbehaving and wandering around, then I'm all for it. ;) Screw the people who say it's politically "uncorrect".  >:(

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:55:12 am »
Personally

good idea.

I have seen that a few times, but it's been very rare. Nowadays in today's "politically correct" world, if a parent put their 5 year old or under on a "leash", I'd bet there'd be a ton of backlash about it. Some people even saying it's "cruel and inhumane" treatment/punishment, and saying the parents are bad parents and unfit.

Oh, pleassssse.  :P  Spare me the PC sob story. Hey, if a harness and tether keeps your 4 year old from misbehaving and wandering around, then I'm all for it. ;) Screw the people who say it's politically "uncorrect".  >:(

Oh yes there would be those who would think it would be terrible. I guess they think the
child should be able to run wild. to get hurt or lost, and even stolen or killed. These days
where people feel or need to have their kids in tow whereever they go. Especially in large
crowds. They can get lost so easy.

The same people who think it's a bad thing to do will say "Oh just turn your head and
they are gone " kind of thing, and use it as an excuse..

It's ok though to have them in a play pen (cage without a top) Or strapped into a stroller.

It's only a simple cloth harness with a tether. Kids are always seeing things they want to go
touch. Even when they shouldn't. Encluding running out into traffic after something they
lost.

There was those against it at the time I saw the lady with her kids.

Perhaps one day it will gain acceptance when people think more of their childrens safety
than how they look to others.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:06:36 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 05:53:26 pm »
In Argos and other UK stores you do get 'Reigns and Harness' items that are basically what you are describing, and they are common and not frowned upon

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:40:50 am »
In Argos and other UK stores you do get 'Reigns and Harness' items that are basically what you are describing, and they are common and not frowned upon

Glad to hear it. Hopefully the practice will become more common here.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 11:14:54 am »
By the way I saw on the TV where they added a whole 6 inches to the barrier of the
Gorilla enclosure. A chain link fence of all things. small fingers and little shoes could
climb a fence like that.

They should use a fence with virtical bars about 5 tt high spaced close enough together to
keep little kids out. Also it would be easier for little kids to look at the animals through
than a chain link fence. That might be why the kid climbed over the old one to begn with.

I wonder what the Zoo directer has as an excuse for changing the fence. After all he said it
had been doing fine as it was.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 02:13:48 pm »

Glad to hear it. Hopefully the practice will become more common here.

yeah, just sold one today ^^
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/rein+and+harness.htm

Check em out, they even have animal designs