Author Topic: UPDATES ON ME  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
UPDATES ON ME
« on: November 16, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »
Unsure where to put this, mods feel to move it if need be.

So updates.
I wasn't able to continue staying with friends in colorado and I honestly I was getting very tired of the runaround and dealing with all of that stupid "need an ID to get an ID" crap so with nowhere else to go I left Colorado a few weeks ago.

Where am I now? Well I am now staying in something of a homeless camp in the middle of the Sonoran Desert in California. A place called Slab City that is often touted as being "The Last Free Place". it's not the best place to end up. The area has many thieves and meth fiends and it's not exactly the safest place to end up but for the time being I am part of a camp so I'm not alone, and I am far enough from the more troubled areas of town, away from the meth fiends and others.

Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline DDD

• Species: White Tiger
  • Male
Re: UPDATES ON ME
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 12:31:53 am »
Hey Kay,

I am glad you posted.
Life isn't going too crash hot for me at the moment either.
Let us hope things get better in the future.

DDD
Those who cannot walk, but can imagine, can fly.
Those who can walk, but cannot imagine, are limited to walking.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 07:01:06 am »
Please be safe Kay.  That doesn't sound fun.  I had no idea what was going on in your life, and I am sorry this has happened.
I now wonder what has happened to your eaglemoss enterprise.  How will you keep doing your model hobby?
 :(
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 02:36:39 am »
I now wonder what has happened to your eaglemoss enterprise.  How will you keep doing your model hobby?

Had to put that on pause. the editions I got already are still with my friends in colorado, they're holding on to a few things of mine. I hope I can return to it before it's run its course but really that was more of an idea of a display piece for an apartment or home. As it stands now I'm living in a tent in the middle of a desert. Not the best climate for model building.

Frankly I lay the blame heavy on Colorado's stupid anti-homeless legislation that requires a person to already have an ID before they can obtain an ID.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 05:41:31 am »
There are legal ways to get your id back. You will need to contact your Vital Records office. They should be able to get you a certified copy of your birth certificate. And start from there. Access places on line that will help as well. Not saying this will go smoothly. I have all my documents and it still took 6 months for the state of Illinois to find my birth certificate. My brother was born in New Mexico. Back in the 1960's they didn't number the certificates. Because they lacked a number he had a hard time getting into the military.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 08:53:41 pm »
There are legal ways to get your id back. You will need to contact your Vital Records office. They should be able to get you a certified copy of your birth certificate. And start from there. Access places on line that will help as well. Not saying this will go smoothly. I have all my documents and it still took 6 months for the state of Illinois to find my birth certificate. My brother was born in New Mexico. Back in the 1960's they didn't number the certificates. Because they lacked a number he had a hard time getting into the military.
I have been over this a thousand times already in colorado. I HAVE my birth certificate. I HAVE my social security card. I DO NOT have an ID. No driver's license, no basic state ID, no passport.

And what would happen every single time is i'd go in, hand them financial records from the IRS, birth certificate, social card, mail from my address and they would say "We just need to see your ID now." Except I don't have an ID so I couldn't get an ID. and if that sounds stupid to you trust me, it just means you have more brain cells than the people who made that a thing.

I know there are ways to get your ID if you lost it, the problem is I didn't lose it, i didn't have one to begin with. and in colorado if you don't have one you can't get one.

It's that simple, you can't.
YOU. CAN'T.

I did this hamster wheel of bureaucracy for a year already. doing the same thing, getting the same result, denial due to not having an ID. Tried to get a passport, same thing, no ID so I couldn't get one. I'm not the only one in this situation!

https://sentinelcolorado.com/opinion/perry-identity-crisis-colorados-holy-grail-is-a-state-id-card-homeless-people-struggle-to-get/

Of course none of that matters now. I'm in California now and they're a lot more easy going about ID's. All one needs is birth certificate and social security card.
So maybe, just maybe, I can get an ID out here and return to Colorado to get a Colorado ID and apply to the housing authority at last but TBH Colorado has ruined my opinion of it. At this point I'm more like to head to the north areas of California if I seek to leave the desert behind.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 03:43:04 pm »
Hi Kay,
I am worried about you in a tent city.  Sounds very dangerous.

In an attempt to help, I put some research and thoughts into a spoiler so it can be minimized.  This thread is about Kay's updates, not my research.

Spoiler: show

I am only trying to help.  I am sorry if I am bothersome.

Here is all I could find regarding how to help you.  I suspect you may have been down this road?  If so, ignore.
I think your plan sounds good so far.  I hope it all works out.

The following illustrates what I have found in 15 min of searching in an attempt to help Kay.  She is correct of course.  There is severe run-around going on.

A golden item to have is a US Passport.  Once you have that, this cycle should be broken. Aka a second government issued photo ID.

For a passport...
I remember needing #1, my birth cert as proof, AND #2 is a GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID. <-- this is your issue of course. I used my drivers license.

Back when I was a little pup, my dad drove me to DMV to do driving test and get learners permit.  Then later of course a drivers license after I passed the test by the skin of my teeth.  I don't mean to pry, did this step not happen for you?   
If it did, where is your drivers license?  If you had one, can you file for a lost drivers license from that state, then try again here in Colorado?  Also an expired drivers license may still help?  It is a government issued Photo ID of you.  If you never had a DL, how did you get to Colorado?  And to buy a car, you need proof of who you are etc too.. so.... confused.  Sorry.

If you do not have the Drivers License etc, the second item #2 can be obtained by...
Obtain documents proving your place of birth and legal name (Birth Cert?). This can be verified by a birth certificate (yes), passport (cyclical reference huh), naturalization papers or visa.

AND

Obtain a second form of ID and proof of residence (here we go again). This can include a school ID, utility bill or a social security card.
The proof of residence is often from a bank statement or bank issued letter on letterhead for the purpose of showing residence.
School ID may work.  I still have an OLD one for myself.  Don't know if it would help me now.
If you do not have social security card or school ID, I do not know what to say.

Normally a parent or legal gaurdian would have those things as they were the ones who were supposed to take care of you. 
I got a school ID in High-school and then again in College.  I still have them.  A social security card, same thing, I got one in my teenage years.  Still have it.
Do you have such things now?  If not, who has them?

then

Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and fill out the appropriate form for a state-issued ID card. This can often be done online. After presenting your identification documents, you may be required to be photographed and fingerprinted (depending on the state).

Pay the required fee. In some states, you can obtain your ID card immediately; in others, it will be mailed to you within a month.

That would get you a temporary photo ID in some states.

Now with  A Temporary Photo ID,and your birth cert and any other docs you have, you might be able to get a passport.
To be honest, you may need help from family on this one.

Heck if you walked into a Post Office which can do Passport Photos, maybe someone there can see all your documents and see what they can do for you?  It is their job to know about passports to some degree.

All I know is I feel for you, and you show us all an alarming fact that most of us never knew.

Heck if we lose our docs, who are we?  Apparently, no one anymore. Scary to realize the circles they deliberately make people go around just so they do not have to do the work of determining who is a citizen etc.  You need help from someone who can vouch for your natural birth in the USA, and who knows you by name and face etc, and has a document about you.  Aka your dad?  Maybe a notarized doc with you and dad in a notary office?  Would this help?  Notary services can be free to cheap.

Please keep fighting and above all, keep safe.  I do not like the idea of this Slab City.  I feel I know the inner working of human minds well, and that right there says you are in danger.  Keep your head on a swivel.
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 05:14:37 am »
Sorry Kay. had no idea it was that hard. Now that your in Cal I'd personally stay away from Colorado. Get what you need and move east. Mid states are cheaper living and right now plenty of opportunity for employment.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:43:40 am »
.  I do not like the idea of this Slab City.  I feel I know the inner working of human minds well, and that right there says you are in danger.  Keep your head on a swivel.
Well that's why i have two other people with me in our campsite and they have dogs.
It's also why our campsite is on the fringe of the slabs, away from the main city. We're away from the worst of it, away from the meth fiends and people who are more likely to rob you at knifepoint.

Also I'm not defenseless, without getting into specifics i have...items that i can defend myself with to warn people away from our campsite if need be.

Plus it's not all bad and danger. It's lovely out here and while I miss running water, plumbing, electricity, toilet facilities, etc, i can't deny there's a sense of adventure to it. I'm in a place where if i work at it i can really build a place for myself. Someplace where i can actually be.

It's hard to ignore the appeal of that. As I've said to others, i know I'm a squatter, i know i legally own nothing but here, in this moment, I can look out at this patch of nowhere I've claimed and enjoy the fantasy that I own land.

Just look at this morning

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X9ppeV5dbfdVw1Y86
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:45:14 am by Kay Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 02:19:56 pm »
Spoiler: show

I am only trying to help.  I am sorry if I am bothersome.

Here is all I could find regarding how to help you.  I suspect you may have been down this road?  If so, ignore.
I think your plan sounds good so far.  I hope it all works out.

The following illustrates what I have found in 15 min of searching in an attempt to help Kay.  She is correct of course.  There is severe run-around going on.

A golden item to have is a US Passport.  Once you have that, this cycle should be broken. Aka a second government issued photo ID.

For a passport...
I remember needing #1, my birth cert as proof, AND #2 is a GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID. <-- this is your issue of course. I used my drivers license.

Back when I was a little pup, my dad drove me to DMV to do driving test and get learners permit.  Then later of course a drivers license after I passed the test by the skin of my teeth.  I don't mean to pry, did this step not happen for you?   
If it did, where is your drivers license?  If you had one, can you file for a lost drivers license from that state, then try again here in Colorado?  Also an expired drivers license may still help?  It is a government issued Photo ID of you.  If you never had a DL, how did you get to Colorado?  And to buy a car, you need proof of who you are etc too.. so.... confused.  Sorry.

If you do not have the Drivers License etc, the second item #2 can be obtained by...
Obtain documents proving your place of birth and legal name (Birth Cert?). This can be verified by a birth certificate (yes), passport (cyclical reference huh), naturalization papers or visa.

AND

Obtain a second form of ID and proof of residence (here we go again). This can include a school ID, utility bill or a social security card.
The proof of residence is often from a bank statement or bank issued letter on letterhead for the purpose of showing residence.
School ID may work.  I still have an OLD one for myself.  Don't know if it would help me now.
If you do not have social security card or school ID, I do not know what to say.

Normally a parent or legal gaurdian would have those things as they were the ones who were supposed to take care of you. 
I got a school ID in High-school and then again in College.  I still have them.  A social security card, same thing, I got one in my teenage years.  Still have it.
Do you have such things now?  If not, who has them?

then

Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and fill out the appropriate form for a state-issued ID card. This can often be done online. After presenting your identification documents, you may be required to be photographed and fingerprinted (depending on the state).

Pay the required fee. In some states, you can obtain your ID card immediately; in others, it will be mailed to you within a month.

That would get you a temporary photo ID in some states.

Now with  A Temporary Photo ID,and your birth cert and any other docs you have, you might be able to get a passport.
To be honest, you may need help from family on this one.

Heck if you walked into a Post Office which can do Passport Photos, maybe someone there can see all your documents and see what they can do for you?  It is their job to know about passports to some degree.

Regarding your info here, i appreciate your suggestions but this is all information that I know and have attended to to no avail. I'm tired of telling the story of my former texas state ID so let's just make a long story short and say by the time I became homeless last year I had no ID.

No ID, no license, nothing. And yes, i did drive across the country in my car without a license, no insurance, no registration, no tags, no up to date plates on the car. My car is about as illegal as it can be without being flat out stolen.

Please don't start telling me i need to get that stuff, i know. It will be done eventually.

I'm just giving updates on my situation here. This is not a thread for giving me advice on how to move forward, i know how to do that already.

While I appreciate the concern and wish to help, I can take care of myself. I made this thread just to update people here and assuage worries about me.

Also, minor point: No, I'm not contacting or counting on my father for anything. He's the one who put me in this situation.  He tossed me out on the streets in the middle of the corona plague; that's attempted murder.  >:(
So no, i wouldn't count on him.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 02:27:59 pm by Kay Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 04:25:11 pm »
Thanks for the update Kay.
I sincerely wish the best for you, and will be glad to hear from you again, so I know you are alive.
It will be a good day when things get sorted out.
Take care.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 08:19:33 pm »
Kay--I am glad you are still around, and I hope things will get better for you.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 02:13:40 am »
I've been to Slab City a couple of times I went there when Cornelius was still running The Libarary. Met a guy named Orlando, it's funny we didn't see him for awhile my dad and I came back to the slabs during the winter to just see what's up and going on there. Low and behold we spot him and he still recognized us. We met some people passing through with some vans and staying there. Funny you mentioning living there brings back all the memories of going out there to just check it out and talk with people.

Just be smart about things with anything and it's already good you're with other people. I'm in Temecula which is only about a 2 hour drive out there towards Anza-Borrego State Park. Just be glad you're there when it's cool because in the summer time it's brutal out there easy triple digits.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 04:26:57 pm »
Thought I'd catch everyone up here with this thread.

My first milestone was passed earlier this month, i finally got my California ID.
I spent over a year in Colorado trying to get one with no results and in just four months here in Cali i got one.

And today I've gotten my second milestone by putting up my tent.

Now i can stop sleeping in my car.
It's rather big too. 9 feet tall at the peak and 15 feet wide.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 10:45:10 am »
Dang girl you've got a big one there!  Bigger than mine!

Room for us all!
 ;)

(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 12:04:54 pm »
 :-[ it better be big for as much as I paid for it.
It's just nice to once again be able to lie down to sleep and have a space that's all mine and private where I can stand up and walk around and not feel all exposed.

Next objective is food stamps and then I'll be working on getting some sun shading so i have a place outside to sit and kill time that's out of the heat of the sun and isn't entirely enclosed on top so heat can't build up.

I need to get the shade done before summer gets here.

After that, solar electricity.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 01:05:08 pm »
Good luck with your adventure and keep working towards your goals!

I know, when I first moved to PA from OH, I went to update my DL to PA.  I had my OH driver's license with me plus my social security card which were all in my new name, used for 15 years since living in CA. For some reason, in PA, I had to go to court to change my name LEGALLY even though I had been using this one for 15 years!  I'll never understand that but I did go through the rules and it took almost a year to get the new ID for PA!  I went in front of the judge and within 15 minutes he gave me the legal paper with this name on it.  Then, I still had to contact CA for updating my birth certificate with the new name.  Geesh, what a bunch of crap just to get my DL changed from state to state.  After updating the birth certificate, I had to get a copy of it and THEN I could take it to the PA drivers license department.  FINALLY, after almost a year I finally get my PA license. I can some times understand some of the rules and regulations but geesh, some times they seem ridiculous. I'm glad you finally got an ID in CA!

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 01:07:16 pm »

WS, Whiteshepherd, has our place set up with a couple solar panels and regular car batteries.  If interested, he can give you some info if you would like.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 09:32:30 pm »

WS, Whiteshepherd, has our place set up with a couple solar panels and regular car batteries.  If interested, he can give you some info if you would like.

Certainly, though my campmate Kathy knows a lot about setting up a solar system and will help me out when the time comes. Obviously she's not going to buy equipment for me, i have to that, but she's been showing me deals on batteries and panels that she's found and will help me get good deals, get the right equipment and when I'm ready, how to wire it all up together.

Still, i won't say no to more advice.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 11:06:56 pm »
.  I do not like the idea of this Slab City.  I feel I know the inner working of human minds well, and that right there says you are in danger.  Keep your head on a swivel.

Just to second what Jade already said.

Plus it's not all bad and danger. It's lovely out here and while I miss running water, plumbing, electricity, toilet facilities, etc, i can't deny there's a sense of adventure to it. I'm in a place where if i work at it i can really build a place for myself. Someplace where i can actually be.

Plumbing is over-rated anyway. ;)

Clean water is not, however, and I recommend you figure out what to do about it before it starts getting really warm. I'm working on a similar problem, for while I'm not in a hot desert and my walls are solid instead of a tent, I don't have running water either and it doesn't rain much in the summer here. I'm thinking of getting a few extra 5 gallon jugs. I can use the water out of one and then refill it while I use water out of the next oldest jug. That way if something happens to my water supply I have some on hand while I figure out another place to get water from once the snow is gone.

I hope things improve for you, though it sounds like they slowly are.  I'll pray for your safety and that you can get your life put back together again soon.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 01:30:17 am »
Test reply because I get database error
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 01:36:04 am »
Earlier in this thread i showed off the tent I'm living in. I recently installed solar powered LED light bulbs on strings and put little pathway garden lights around it at each of the guy line stakes.

My tent is holding up well to the powerful winds that occasionally blow out here. It's been wonderful being able to lay down to sleep again. I had been just sleeping in my car in the driver's seat.

Sun still beats down hard so I bought a large hammer, like a tiny sledgehammer, and hammered some metal poles and sturdy lengths of metal into the ground and threw a tarp over it, clamped it into place and now i have a nice, shady spot to sit under that keeps the sun off me but lets all the wind in.

My campmates on either side of me rather like the setup I'm building out here. One is trying to cobble together and jury rig a tent like mine together out of scavenged stuff and the other wants my help making a tarp shade over her trailer for herself and her dogs.

Said campmate, I'll refer to her as P for the sake of privacy, has become a friend to me. She's shared her food with me frequently, gives me rides to the store to stock up on goods and supplies and I watch her dogs and campsite when she has to go to the store alone.

She recently had minor surgery and been laid up so I've been hanging out with her, sharing my food with her, watching movies on my phone and just helping her out with what she needs

She recently had minor surgery and been laid up so I've been hanging out with her, sharing my food with her, watching movies on my phone and just helping her out with what she needs.
We gotta watch each other's backs out here after all.

More good news, I'm finally on food stamps!
It isn't a whole lot but it helps. Though I do still need to bum and ask friends for some monetary help especially when it gets to the end of the month.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:39:55 am by Kay Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 01:42:07 am »
But overall, things are... i hesitate to say good since I'm still living in the wasteland like Judgement Day's come and gone, but stable. Things are mostly stable.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 01:48:00 am »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:09:53 pm by Kay Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 08:13:30 pm »
That's a big tent and good setup. If it's something you enjoy perhaps if you want you could find a commune somewhere to set up? My brother spent a few years living at some rural communes in AZ, TN, and CA. He enjoyed his time there. It's private land so less risk of getting run off. But anyways good luck!

CA is a good place to get cheap used solar panels and batteries. Solar panels goes to charge controller. Charge controller goes to battery. Battery goes to inverter (pure sine wave if you can). Inverter gives you 120v AC to power small things all night like LED lights, laptops, phones, etc. Pretty easy to set up. But be careful as it's pretty easy to steal if your not in a secure location.
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot