Author Topic: Who referred you?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Lost_Cause

• Male
Who referred you?
« on: December 25, 2005, 02:11:38 am »
I'm not sure where this would be appropriate so I'll stick it here.
I was just playing with my profile and I was filling in a few IM addresses as well as filling in the Who referred you section.
With my usual sense of humour I tried to fill in Google as the one that referred me. Which is true. It did.

But after hitting update profile and checking it again I found no changes had been made. It looks like you have it set so only members of the forums names can be filled in to this section which is fine but the problem is you don't get any error message when you fill in something else and it stopes everything else from being updated as well.

If you fill in a valade name you get the thanks, your profile has been edited page, but if you get it wrong you just get a page that tells you your logged in as <insert name here>, it doesn't tell you update failed or why, so it looks like there is some missing error note in there somewhere.
I coped on pretty quick though and anyone that has used the features before will know what the successful update page looks like, but for noobie friendliness and ease of tracking down what particular bit of information has gone wrong, adding a message to tell people there refer name is incorrect would be useful?
I’ve made my statement and I stand by it, but I could be wrong.

Offline BrownLeopard

• Species: Amur Leopard
  • Male
Who referred you?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 03:56:20 pm »
Basically, it figures that you know to use a name for referrals, so IkonBoard never implemented any type of checks for that.

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Species: liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
Who referred you?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 12:58:42 am »
It's a hack that was later added into the board. Perhaps some parts of it need to be rethought, but it does get the job done when used as intended.

Benjamin