Author Topic: Notice ALL Members - Server Upgrade 6/1/2010  (Read 40005 times)

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
Notice ALL Members - Server Upgrade 6/1/2010
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »
Just a heads up to all members here.  

Since our switch of servers there have been some good things (speed and security).  But we have also had many frustrating issues mainly with the hosting and the porting of our software.  Due to these problems and wanting to improve services for existing members we will be completely replacing our hosting software.  We will also be getting a commercial control panel that will allow members to add/remove their own mysql/domains/email a feature we have been wanting for years.  I have also decided to hire a professional to help with this transfer.

When we got the new server it was a step in the right direction but I want to push till we have the reliable and trouble free hosting we had before.   So on 6/1/2010 Furtopia hosting will be taken offline to make these updates.  The software will be updated then all user web accounts will be restored by hand/script.  Down/work time is estimated to be 1-4 days depending on many issues.  However I will leave the forums online which can be reached at: http://forums.furtopia.org

I do not normally ask for donations.  However this upgrade will cost us many hundreds of dollars.  If you possibly can donate to this project it would be much needed and appreciated!  Paypal address:  fuzzydog@whiteshepherd.net    

WhiteShepherd

----EDIT-----Upgrade Done---ALL HOSTING MEMBERS PLEASE READ!!!!!!

Furtopia web hosting now uses a user control panel to let members manage their own accounts.

ALL Furtopia web hosting members MUST-I repeat-MUST log into their personal Web Control Panel to turn on their FTP account/access!

You can get to your cool web hosting control panel from the Furtopia main page or https://www.furtopia.org/dtc     Notice there is no ssl cert yet so it will warn and you will need to give an exemption. 

The control panel is divided into your "My Account" -> You can view your stats and add new domains to your account.   And your domains-> Here you will see your Furtopia/tdl domain where you can make ftp, dns, subdomain, and email services.  Then Databases (your mysql), Password changing, and Support Tickets.

The very FIRST thing you will want to do when you enter is create an FTP account to your web space.  All ftp accounts will need recreated because the account owner (you) now has control over ftp.  For example if you host a collaborative project and want helpers to only access a part of your website (without being able to reach the other parts of your webpage) you could create a second ftp account with only this access. 

To create your FTP click on the + sign next to your domain name.  Next click on "FTP accounts".   Choose your personal ftp login(@yourdomain.furtopia.org will be added to the login automatically), password and pick a path.  On the Path option I STRONGLY suggest you pick the last option unless you know what you are doing (that says)-> /yourdomain.furtopia.org/subdomains/www/html/      Picking this path will have your ftp send you to your web html folder.  Higher paths are chooseable to allow users to download logs/mail/etc (be careful accessing this!  You can break it if you are not careful).

Example: Since my domain is whiteshepherd.furtopia.org if I typed in the ftp login "luckydog" at creation my ftp login would be "luckydog@whiteshepherd.furtopia.org" since @whiteshepherd.furtopia.org will be appended at the end of my logins.  The reason for this is it allows users to pick any login they want without another user reserving that login.  It may sound complicated but it's fairly easy following the menus. 

If after trying you still can not figure it out no worries.  Just send Kada-Ru a PM and we will set up an a ftp account for you.

Added Note: When you create a new service in the control panel it takes up to 10 min for the service to become live.

Good luck and good testing...    WhiteShepherd

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:35:48 am by WhiteShepherd »
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
Re: Notice ALL Members - Server Upgrade 6/1/2010
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »
As soon as I pay rent, I'll send what I can to help, WS.  :)

Also, I'm excited for work on the hosting services!  While they're still around, I remember they were the thing that attracted me to Furtopia in the first place.  I found some amazing artists and writers through this website, and I think the attempt to restore them is well worth the effort.

In other words, I'm excited for this. :D
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »
I'm going to donate too as soon as I get the chance.

One thing I think a lot of people might not realize is that keeping Furtopia on the web costs craploads of money. Furtopia's server costs, domain bills, and bandwidth charges really start to add up after a few months. But WhiteShepherd has been paying for all those charges out of his own pocket for eight years now, through thick and thin - without complaining, without asking for donations, without anything.

Now, though, WhiteShepherd has this huge expense on his hands that's going directly towards making the site better, and he needs some help from us to cover the cost. If you have some money to spare, and if you feel attached enough to this site to want to make it as great as you can, it'd be really wonderful if you could chip in whatever you can offer.

Whoa, sorry I just got all PBS on you. I didn't mean to. That was just something I honestly wanted to say.

Offline Nashee

• Meow?
  • Female
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »
I wish I had a job, then I would help out. D=

If you're still feeling the pressure in a month or so I'll send what I can, just as soon as I get situated with college and my new job.

I'm really glad that this site is here though. I like having a place to go to where there aren't any idiots. And everyone here is so open, and understanding. I appreciate everyone here and everything here, and I love WhiteShepherd for making all of this possible.

<3
Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »
I'm really glad that this site is here though. I like having a place to go to where there aren't any idiots. And everyone here is so open, and understanding. I appreciate everyone here and everything here, and I love WhiteShepherd for making all of this possible.

Nashee pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I've only been here for a few months now, but after even that short amount of time, everybody has been able to put up with my crap for this long, I'm amazed I haven't been kicked off the site yet  ;).  Everybody here is willing to listen to whatever it is you say, and I'm really glad to be here. 

If I had some way I could donate, absolutely, I would, but right now, I'm have no way of sending.  I honestly wish I could though.  All I can say at the moment, is that I hope this all works out.

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
Finances are really hard on me and Kada right now.  But this is something that NEEDS done so we're doing it.  Anyone who can help we deeply apreciate the support!

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes:

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »
I don't get paid till Friday. If I can send something, then I will, but it will have to be by regular mail.

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:17:47 am »
All FTP services have been shut down (to prevent changes).  Now doing backups of all Furtopia files to prep for the update.
IRC quotes:

Offline Moonbarker Osbourne

• Male
    • http://www.cloudchasershaconage.furtopia.org
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 10:43:58 am »
That explains why Furtopia hasn't been working right lately and why I can't connect at all now.  I hope it goes well.  I'd gladly donate something to help with the cost myself if I didn't have a large amount of my own debt to pay off.

Offline ryokox

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:48:51 am »
mysql, does that mean we'll  be able to use wordpress soon?

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:17:20 am »
We've always had mysql.  Some users do use wordpress.  But keep in mind large programs like that MUST revolve around your art base.  No opening up a php heavy portal for "Bob's Fishing" etc.
IRC quotes:

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:28:58 am »
Ok the forums are now moved onto a little "temp server" to keep member updates live.  Moving the IRC server next.
IRC quotes:

Offline Werewolfhero

• Friendly Neighborhood Werewolf
  • Male
    • Werewolfhero's Den
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 01:51:35 pm »
Whiteshepherd, good luck with all the moving and changes. :3

Offline ryokox

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:51 pm »
We've always had mysql.  Some users do use wordpress.  But keep in mind large programs like that MUST revolve around your art base.  No opening up a php heavy portal for "Bob's Fishing" etc.

I figured, but i wasn't able to use wordpress because...i couldn't install it. i sent an email to the furtopia admin address and never got a response about it.

Offline Werewolfhero

• Friendly Neighborhood Werewolf
  • Male
    • Werewolfhero's Den
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 09:56:01 pm »
you have to have requested mysql support first (ask whiteshepherd for that later when he's not busy if you dont have it yet.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 10:57:12 pm »
To any future members who have recently registered with Furtopia in the last day or so and/or will be registering in future days, The staff regrets to inform you that your registration accounts for our Furtopia forums will not be able to be approved/processed at this time due to the server work which is currently being done by the head Administrator (WhiteSheperd). We hope to have the part of the server work finished soon this week that allows us to finish processing member registrations for the forums. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and we please ask for your patience.

Offline KitsuNinja

• Space Pirate
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:20 pm »
Oh hey, was that whole incorrect URL part of the switch?
Kemono Party > Furry and kemono fan realists who would rather embrace random and cuteness over being drama-queen furries, furry vs furry bashing or a furry who tries too hard. :3

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:25:49 pm »
What do you mean?

Offline Quamer

• Male
    • Quamer's Den
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »
Nice upgrade =3

I hope it could be soon finished.  Can I sent you my donation by Western Union or AFEX?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:41:48 pm by Quamer »
Quamer, The misterious Lion

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »
Oh hey, was that whole incorrect URL part of the switch?

I'm assuming it was, yeah. (FYI, Kobuk, the Furtopia domain was "gone" for most of the workday. But here we are again, hurray!)

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 09:43:05 pm »
Been putting a LOT of work into this.  It's going slow but so far so good.  I'll post some screenshots tomarrow. 

This will allow our web host members to change names, mysql, databases, and even get web mail.  More to come!

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes:

Offline Quamer

• Male
    • Quamer's Den
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 11:54:23 am »
Been putting a LOT of work into this.  It's going slow but so far so good.  I'll post some screenshots tomarrow. 

This will allow our web host members to change names, mysql, databases, and even get web mail.  More to come!

WhiteShepherd

Thank you and a big hug to you WhiteShepherd.
Quamer, The misterious Lion

Offline ToranekoStudios

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 12:16:36 am »
When I go to my website, all that shows there is "It works!". Does this have anything to do with this server upgrade? I also can't login to my account via ftp.

This is my website: http://www.toranekostudios.dragoncity.net/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:18:12 am by ToranekoStudios »

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 12:25:00 am »
Yes all sites were taken off-line to preform this upgrade.

Well it's been a LOT of work.  There is still plenty to do but we have enough of a working system to start reinstalling the user web pages.  We will start the restore later today.  Users will get a control panel they can manage their site.  Here are a few teaser pics:

IRC quotes:

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »
I used this kind of thing helping the person that hosts my .com site. Works nice.

I look forward to seeing it up and working.

Keep up the nice work WS.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com