Author Topic: How do I find 1 specific post?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
How do I find 1 specific post?
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:47:54 pm »
I was hunting for an old post of mine, one of my finest in my opinion, but when I tried using the search it never gave me a link to that post or one near it. Is there any way short of reading the entire thread through to find that post or a link to it?
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
Re: How do I find 1 specific post?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:18 am »
Well,  What specifically are you looking for?  What do you remember of the post?  any specific words?  What sort of thread it might of been in?  What section of the forum?

There are advanced features in the forum's search engine to narrow down your search.  You can start by setting your own name as the author so that it will only show posts by you.  Then,  you can uncheck any forums you're pretty sure it's not in.  (for example,  the, "Word Games," forum.)  Try to add as many things as you can to the search to narrow it down but be careful not to add anything that will exclude your post.

Alternately,  if the post is pretty old,  you may also be able to use google to find your post.

Type Site:forums.furtopia.org

and then whatever you want to search for on the site.    For example,  if i wanted to search for anything having to do with waffles i would type:

site:forums.furtopia.org waffles

and get back a list of links ONLY for the furtopia forums and having something to do with waffles:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS544US544&q=site%3Aforums.furtopia.org+waffles&oq=site%3Aforums.furtopia.org+waffles&gs_l=serp.3...67830.69773.0.69878.12.12.0.0.0.2.143.779.11j1.12.0....0...1c.1.24.serp..12.0.0.JNC8pd7KZFw

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »
For clarity's sake, the forum's advanced search features that Alsek refers to are accessible by clicking on "Search" at the top of any forum page and then on "Advanced Search" on the resulting page.

I *highly* recommend this feature, by the way.  It's exceptionally handy.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:47 pm »
If you are looking for a direct link to the post and not just the thread that contains the post, try checking the "Show results as messages" in the Advanced search options.
It will display the actual posts, highlight the search terms in the posts, and each listed post will have a link that goes to the actual post location in it's thread.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:39:18 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#