Author Topic: Book recommendations?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Inugami

• Male
Book recommendations?
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
So even though I'm pretty busy with college life right now, I want to get back to leisurely reading (seeing as summer is just around the corner). It's been AGES since I've sat down and read something for the fun of it (think back to high school, ouch). I was wondering if you all could point me in the right direction to a good book. I'll give you a list of books I do and don't like to give you an idea of my tastes:

Issac Asimov (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, I Robot)
Alien
Stuart Little
Secrets of NIHM
Fire Bringer
Genres: Sci-fi, manga, mystery, action, comedy, erotica
Themes: furries/talking animals (wolves, dogs, cats, deer, mice, etc), aliens, mystical creatures
Looking for novels geared towards young adults or adults (18+) preferably

Does NOT like:
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (friends in high school forced me to read it, *GAG*)
The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice (I was quite hopeful for this book, but I couldn't get past the unrealistic dialogue and writing style, quite similar to Twilight IMO but not as badly written, however I wasn't looking for a romance novel which this one implied).
Genres: "fluffy" romance
Themes: Anything for pre-teens or younger (the only exception being if its very well written and can be read by children and adults alike, i.e. Chronicles of Narnia)

I've been wanting to read Warriors (which my school library doesn't seem to have), but other than that I don't know what else to read. Any suggestions? Furry/sci-fi/manga themes in one book would be awesome.

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Re: Book recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
have you given the Hunger Games series a chance by Suzanne Collins? They are a Sci-fi I think because it is in the future, but it is a distopian society. Also, there is a little bit of a love situation in there, but it is mostly action. The relationship between the lovers does not overwhelm the novel in my opinion. I really hate mushy love stuff, so I was glad when the book wasnt about the character's love, or at least not in a mushy way. Someone else may be able to explain it better, but it really is a great series.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline victorwolf

• Male
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
(REAVERS OF THE BLOOD SEA) i absolutely love this book. I've looked over a year for it but i couldn't find it. i hope you have better luck finding it than i have. also zombie survival guide it's a good laugh from the norm. but it has useful info.
a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »
Well i have a series called Skeleton Creek and i find it really good. It's a mystery about an old mining town. One of the dredges used to look for gold is haunted and the characters are teens that arn't allowed to see each other. Here's the fun part they have online videos to go with the story. If you want to know more just ask.
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:54:38 am »
Hitchhiker's Guide was Douglas Adams, not Asimov.

If you are interested in graphic novels, I'd suggest checking out the Digger series by Ursula Vernon.

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:49:47 am »
If you like Adams you may want to give Prachett a try. It's fantasy rather than sci-fi but is a hilariously good time.

I can suggest a lot of other books in the fantasy genre, but it'd be a very wordy post.

Offline Inugami

• Male
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »
Hitchhiker's Guide was Douglas Adams, not Asimov.

If you are interested in graphic novels, I'd suggest checking out the Digger series by Ursula Vernon.

Yeah I realized the author mistake after I posted it. But I do like both Douglas Adams and Issac Asimov.  :)

I've heard about Hunger Games, though it's SUPER popular now and I tend to stay away from mainstream stuff (I always seem to read it before it becomes popular, or I'll read it once the popularity dies down).

I love fantasy novels too, maybe I'll see if my library has Prachett. Anyone have suggestions for good furry fantasy books?

Offline Wolfcoon

• Pikachu!
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:10 am »
Well i have a series called Skeleton Creek and i find it really good. It's a mystery about an old mining town. One of the dredges used to look for gold is haunted and the characters are teens that arn't allowed to see each other. Here's the fun part they have online videos to go with the story. If you want to know more just ask.

Sounds cool bro! My friend has been reading that and I've wanted to read it so I might give it a try :D
Fursona name: Mimki Wolf I'm a Gray Wolf

Pokemon is and always has been my favorite Show!

Furries Unite!! X3

Keep Calm And Eat Tacos.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift, that's why it's called "Present.

Offline DarkDemon

• It's not popuri!!
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »
I don't know of any furry books, but I've read some good books! You ever heard of the walking dead? It is popular now, but I started it before it became a tv show. Also, a really good book I read, not sure that you would like it though, is The Cobra Event. It's about this virus that is deadly and wiping people out in the U.S. and these people find out that some random terrorist did it... Sounds boring when I try to explain it, sorry. But it is well written, suspensful, and I really loved it! :3 also, keep looking for Warriors, it's awesome! (Hope I semi-helped...)
I just got mai computer fixed!! :D :3
Surrender the peanuts!
ScourgeFur on DeviantArt! :D
:goldlaugh:

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
I've just read this in school, and if you're into sci-fi, it's definately a sick book. Brave New World - it's about a utopian society and how the human soul reacts to such. Very dark, grim, and thought-provoking. Also Frankenstein - if you have good diction, than this book is easier to read then most people think. The story is exquisite and tragically beautiful and the monster is one of my *FAVE* zombies of all time.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:49:34 pm »
Your tastes in fiction sound somewhat similar to mine, so I must recommend:

Watership Down by Richard Adams -- a secret life of animals story about a group of rabbits on a journey to build a new home
The Pride of Chanur (and pursuant books) by C.J. Cherryh -- a science-fiction series about lion-like aliens with spaceships

These are among of my favorite books.  (Well, Watership Down is my favorite book.  The Chanur series ranks highly.)  Also, based on your description of your taste, I sort of suspect that you would like my own novel, Otters In Space.  However, as I am the author, I'm highly biased, so you should probably take that with a grain of salt.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »
The Pride of Chanur (and pursuant books) by C.J. Cherryh -- a science-fiction series about lion-like aliens with spaceships

Seconded! :)

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:18:24 am »
the only book series ive read more than once is the Inherritance cycle from Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance)

fantasy and i thoroughly enjoyed them.
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »
Duncton Wood is quite a gorgeous book. It's about a society of moles living out in the British countryside, focusing on the lives of two particular moles and how they fall in love but are kept apart for such a long time due to a number of events. That might make it sound like a fluffy, cutesy sort of romance but the book for the most part tends to be extremely brutal and quite graphic. I suppose it could be compared to Watership Down, even though I have only read a little of that particular book.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »
Duncton Wood is quite a gorgeous book. It's about a society of moles living out in the British countryside, focusing on the lives of two particular moles and how they fall in love but are kept apart for such a long time due to a number of events. That might make it sound like a fluffy, cutesy sort of romance but the book for the most part tends to be extremely brutal and quite graphic. I suppose it could be compared to Watership Down, even though I have only read a little of that particular book.

That sounds really good.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »
Alright none of these are really furry fiction, but they are all amazing works of fantasy.

Terry Pratchett, everything by him. He is hilarious and makes humor out of pretty much all of the fantasy cliches. Him and Douglas Adams are currently the titans of the speculative fiction humor writers.

Lord of the Rings trilogy, and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. Fantasy staple, For decades the genre has been defined by these.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (last couple books are by Brandon Sanderson). Another defining block of the epic fantasy genre. Jordan and Tolkien are the authors that the current generation of fantasy writers grew up reading these.

Brandon Sanderson Everything. Brandon Sanderson is my favorite writer at the moment. Something about his magic systems just enthrall me, and he is a master at characterizations.

The Runelords by David Farland. This is the series I am currently reading. It's a very powerful series that goes very in depth into lords and nobles.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. These books are so beautiful and captivating that my words do not do them justice. Honestly he is close to Sanderson for my favorite author at the moment. If his third book would come out any time soon I'd be happy.

Neil Gaiman, I've only read Neverwhere and American Gods and they are both great. I can't think of anything to say except that he is amazing and you should at least give these two a try.

RA Salvatore, the Legend of Drizzt. I have mixed feelings about this series, but I'll be honest that it is what got me into the fantasy genre in the first place. It's sword and sorcery stuff, so take it for what it's worth. By far not my favorite subgenre anymore but like superhero movies when I have that sword and sorcery, good guys win fights happen and magic makes things explode itch it helps scratch it. (There are probably significantly better S&S novels, but I don't follow it too much)

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. This series is amazing for very gritty war novels based in a fantasy setting. Not much else to say on it.

Now I'd recommend everything here (except maybe Salvatore I figured I'd include him since he's very nostalgic for me) but the top picks are Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, the kingkiller chronicles and the wheel of time. Again none of these are in any way furry... but I don't typically find that subgenre.

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »

That sounds really good.

Yeah, it's a great read. Another nice (and important) thing I forgot to mention about it is that even though the moles are given certain anthropomorphic traits they live in the sort of disorganized community you'd expect real moles to live in, so a lot more of the 'struggle to survive' aspect of life in the wild comes out.

It's also part of a trilogy, with Duncton Wood being the first book, but it can be easily treated as a standalone piece of fiction.

Offline Ol Rab

• Species: Honey Badger
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »
-Hiiro, being a great fan of the horror genre, happens to know and love the most frightening horror story told. It is called The Great God Pan, by Arthur Machen. It is 122 years old, but is much more potent than most of even today's horror. A close second is Algernon Blackwoods, The Willows, a chilling tale about two fellows who go too deep into an eerie place than man was never supposed to enter.-

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 04:22:10 am »

That sounds really good.

Yeah, it's a great read. Another nice (and important) thing I forgot to mention about it is that even though the moles are given certain anthropomorphic traits they live in the sort of disorganized community you'd expect real moles to live in, so a lot more of the 'struggle to survive' aspect of life in the wild comes out.

It's also part of a trilogy, with Duncton Wood being the first book, but it can be easily treated as a standalone piece of fiction.

I've picked up a used copy, so I'll definitely be reading it when I get the chance.

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:37 am »
Awesome, hope you dig it :)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »
Lord of the Rings trilogy, and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. Fantasy staple, For decades the genre has been defined by these.

Seconded.  But don't stop after just the war of the ring.  :3
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:10:35 pm by Alsek »

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
Sounds like you might enjoy LE Modesitt.  I really liked him and despite being able to read 500 pages a week, it still took me the better part of three years to read everything he's written.  So if you really want something to read for awhile.

Third Tolkien.  Read the entire Legendarium.  It's worth it.

And now a plug.  My own Kindle store!  The furry stuff is romance but in a Daria style, so not very fluffy.  The SF is humorous and apparently funnier to other people than to me: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Apaul+calhoun&keywords=paul+calhoun&ie=UTF8
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline KatAddy

• Female
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:15 pm »
How to live safely in a sciencefictional universe is good. Its got almost a Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy feel to it

If you like time travel I would highly recommend some of Jack Finney's short stories.

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:35 pm »
Some books you may like

Fantasy:
Farseer Trilogy -Robbin hobb
The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
Mistborn -Brandon Sanderson (yes same writer that finished the wheel of time series)
The Kingkiller Chronicles -Patrick Rothfuss (its been posted before but ... READ IT!!!)

Sci-fi:
Dune - Frank Herbert
Gor - John Norman (not recomanded for anyone under 18)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »
Closing this thread, as it is well past the gravedig limit. If you want, feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.