Author Topic: From out of the shrouds  (Read 46995 times)

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
Re: From out of the shrouds
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2009, 09:30:28 am »
You know you'll never be as hot as this foxie though right? =^.-=

And on the freddo note, I met a freddo suiter and he strangled me =;.;=

</3 frogs

Offline Vincent Rose

• Male
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 08:58:33 pm »
You models always think everyone's so jealous :/
Check out my Furaffinity: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/vincentrose91/
I'm Vin on the IRC.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »
Only because you are. ;)
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Vincent Rose

• Male
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »
Only because you are. ;)

Thats not the point :(
I'm Vin on the IRC.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:21 am »
Okay, new topic.

I just played Armored Core For Answer today and found it to be okay. It isn't quite as good as the old PS1 games and the controls aren't beasts like the PS2 games, also the accessibility isn't difficult either. The PS2 AC games made me feel as though the only way to stand a chance was to have played and beaten the previous game, while I applaud the design team for giving returning players nice levels of difficulty it left n00bs feeling overwhelmed.

This isn't to say those are bad games, on the contrary. I loved the graphics and the realism they put in. Granted the control felt too wonky and over complicated but it could be forgiven if you could play well.

AC4 was just awful. I played only a small bit of it and found it to be slow, clunky and didn't draw me in like any of the others.

This game however, while having annoying tutorials at the start and the controls need some playing around with to find one config of the three that you like, was fun. Once I had found a control configuration I was happy with I found moving to be easy, fast, and most importantly, fun. The battles can be very fast paced, feeling more as though you are watching an anime than playing a game.

So why am I doing a little review of this game?

1) I love Mechs.

and 2) I love the Armored Core series despite the slim number of its games I've had actual fun with.

All of this got me to thinking about giant robots and Mechs.

I love Mechs, especially some of the Mechs in Mechwarrior (Never played the game, saw designs and liked them), and I'm a fan of the Metal Gear Mechs.

Giant Robots however, I don't care for.

Is there a difference? A resounding yes is the answer to that question.

Giant Robots (GR) usually are quite human and even have hands with fingers and use seperate guns and knives and swords and whatnot. Mechs have all their weaponry as built in equipment and generally lack a major humanoid apperance apart from bipedal legs. (Although they don't always have to be bipedal)

GR hands are a problem for me because hands are precision instruments of the human body. Adding one to a machine and getting it to carry out delicate opperations is an almost impossible task, especially with something that big. GRs tend to be lightning quick and seem more like armored people rather than machines that must weigh over several billion tons.

Mechs however tend to be clunky, move slow and by this they seem more realistic. Nothing that big and heavy would move so fast unless it had some rockets on it. (I'll get to this in the new AC game in a sec) Mechs seem to almost always rely on their firepower to carry them through battle and thats fine with me, it's a two legged tank, it should be able to take some pounding in a fight. In the new game the ACs move slowly and the only way to really move quickly is to use your boosters. This is great and allows you to either move slowly and carefully or zip through battlefields like you own the place. I liked that.

But Kalo, you might say, Armored Core has you controling a type of Giant Robot you just said you hate. So how can you like it?
Good point, AC does do that. But it also allows for a LOT of customization of your Armored Core unit, allowing you to make it a bipedal Giant Robot, or a Mech with laser cannons for arms and tank treads for legs, or the reverse jointed legs, or the four leg type that moves like a spider, etc. So I often opt for designing my unit more like a Mech, without needing a seperate machine gun held by humanoid, robot hands.

Now of course I'm not trying to say that a machine cannot have humanoid hands and fingers if they do it properly. I enjoy staring at my hand and watching the way my muscles move and interact with one another under my skin, it's a little creepy but still awesome and inspiring. I believe the only way to properly produce a robotic hand would be to simulate the human design as much as possible. However when you try to put it on something that huge it tends to out balance itself. It's a bit like having someone else talking you through picking something up while you have no sense of touch.

There is one case where GR tech has been done in a way that I loved and still love to this day. The Evangelions of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

This anime showed GRs in a new way. instead of being entirely robotic the Evas are mostly organic, I love this because truely, only muscle tissue can react that quickly, and also the pilots of the Evas have to link their own minds with the machine. In this way if they think about walking, the Eva walks. Same with pretty much any action. Of course the downside there is that the pilot feels the pain of the Eva, but thats forgivable and understandable, plus one would actually want that because it would keep the pilot from charging into battle like a cowboy. :)

So where am I going with all this? Well nowhere really.

Mostly I just wanted to rant and share that with you all, but feel free to leave your own views on giant robots, mechs, and other stuff in between. Kobuk and Dragore, I'm looking at you.

P.S. I also love the Gekkos of the latest Metal Gear game because of their organic legs. The Metal Gears of the past could never move quickly because they were all metal, hydraulic machines, but the Gekko legs are organic and as such it's only natural they'd be able to pull of the stunts they do....Does however make me wonder if theres a living brain in there or not... Hmmm.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Vincent Rose

• Male
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 12:27:30 am »
Interesting notes Kaloyan. I certainly learned abit about Mechs and Giant Robots. Since I was considering finding the Ps2 armored core games, I'll make sure to keep the difficulty in mind. I've been planning on watching Eva, but first comes Ghost in the Shell.
I'm Vin on the IRC.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 07:41:25 am »
Regardless of whether a giant hulking behemoth is called a robot or a mech, I'll love it just the same. :) Anything that big with massive firepower and other tactical systems to blow your enemy to bits gets a nod in my book. ;)
I started getting hooked on mechs back in high school when a friend showed me an art book for the original Japanese Macross anime series. Ever since then, I've been hooked and Macross/Robotech and all it's incarnations/series have been my favorites for a long time and will continue to do so. :)
I've got so far:
* Entire Robotech series on VHS tapes from Pallidium Books many years ago.
* Macross II series on VHS tapes, but will be searching for DVD's.
* Macross Plus series on VHS, but will also be searching for DVD's.
* Original "Macross Perfect Memory" art book (in Japanese).
* Original Macross 7 art book.
* Got the first "Robotech" series (but not Southern Cross or Mospeada) on DVD.
* Entire collection of Robotech paperback novels.
* Also have original Japanese "Macross" series on DVD in Japanese.
* Have the "Macross: Flashback 2012" OVA DVD
*Have the "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" movie. (Awesome animation!)
* Have all three Robotech Art Books from about 15-20 years ago.
* Have every Robotech/Macross RPG game manual from Pallidium books.
* Recently bought a few months ago the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles DVD movie.
* Also have in my collection on VHS from Pallidium Books the short never finished series of Robotech: The Sentinels.

I'm a die hard Robotech/Macross junkie!  :D Oh, and my favorite mech from Macross is the VF-19 from Macross Plus.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »
You got to ask yourself one thing, Kaloyan.

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do ya.......punk!
:D  :D

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 07:38:02 pm »
lol. Cool pic.

Well some around here may have noticed that I have started to hand out cans of Pringles chips. It seems my endorsement of Kit Kats has done wonders for Hershey and now the Pringles company wants in as well.

So they asked me for a nice subtle way of pushing their products. Gave me a nice incentive to boot.

Now we can all enjoy, and I can get some added income.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 07:54:39 pm »
Nice Pringles vending machine, but my machine is much cooler!  8)  :D

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 07:59:44 pm »
Always have to try and one up me eh? ...wait. Didn't that thing start killing people when it came to life? :o
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:18:58 pm by Kaloyan Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2009, 10:51:00 am »
I was gonna ask you about the Pringles thing. :D What does Hershey's think of this new deal, I wonder? Are they okay with this?

Fun Fact: In Europe, Pringles are not taxed as potato products, because they're actually less than 50 percent potatoes. The rest is chemicals.

Another fun fact: The inventor of Pringles was cremated and buried in a Pringles can!

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2009, 02:13:56 pm »
Well Hershey's is fine with it. I'm not sure if you remember but they tried their own kind of product that was shaped like the Pringles chip, but made of chocolate. But they no longer produce them. Hopefully I can get them both to cooperate and have swoops again. They were perfect, like a miniature, but perfectly shaped to the roof of your mouth, so you could melt one up there and enjoying for a long time.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
*Restocks the Pringles machines with his own stock and walks away, nomming some of the cips.*
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 12:52:56 am »
An update

As you may know, I run LINUX on my PS3, a good system called Ubuntu. Now when I first put it on my system I found it to be kind of annoying. I had to keep the navigation and status bars and any other bars turned off in order to see more than an inch of a web page. It wasn't very good and I didn't really care for it.

Last night, in an experimental move, I decided to hook an HDMI cable to my PS3 and HDTV. (Yes I own one, it's just a 19" and please don't ask me what "P" because I don't understand any of that talk.)
I noticed a size change in the screen and when I used the web browser it was a major change. I could see a lot of the web page without needing to scroll down much and biggest change of all, the virtual keyboard that had plagued me since I got this machine was disappearing whenever I used my USB keyboard, which it never did before.

Then I played some of my games and wow! What a difference a cable makes. :o  :o  :o
It was like seeing things for the first time, things were clearer, colors were sharper, dark areas were dark like they should be and not having light unaccounted for all over the place helping me see. I actually had to use torches in Oblivion, and when I played Fallout 3 I felt scared for the first time ever as I sat in a dark hallway listening to screaming ghouls in the deeper areas of the building.

I had never felt scared before in the game and it was awesome. :)

Now I switched over to Ubuntu to see how it would look and I'm awestruck. Everything has been sized down and made to fit my TV perfectly. I can now turn my status and navigation bars on and leave them on. For the first time ever, I'm using Ctrl + to zoom in and see the web pages instead of zooming out to see them.

Let me say now that I had never bothered much with the hype around HD and HDTVs. I got my HDTV simply because my fool dad gave me a $90 gift certificate for Best buy after I got a USB mouse and Keyboard there, I get two things from there and suddenly he thinks I'm a regular shopper. I simply had need of a new TV, one that could fit in a small space and have a headphone jack. The HDTV I got fit all the criteria I was looking for and I could afford it with extra money I had in the bank.

I didn't care about HD or high quality picture, I still don't. My regular cable TV isn't HD and there isn't any change in how it looks, of course.

"So Kalo," you may ask. "if you don't care at all about picture, or HD or any of that, why did you get the HDMI cable in the first place? You are so surprised by the changes I'm guessing you didn't know they were coming. So why?"

I must be honest. I've been playing some NES and SNES games on my FC Twin, it's both in one, and I was getting fed up of chatting on the IRC and trying to play Blaster Master at once and getting up to swap out AV cords everytime I wanted to blast a mutant then go say 'hi' to a friend.

Now I can just leave my FC Twin hooked up and swap by hitting a button on my remote. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:01:49 am by Kaloyan Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »
Readers of my livejournal and this thread will know that I run a linux OS called Ubuntu on my Playstation 3.

For the longest time I was unable to do much with it, I managed to get an IRC client going on it, and now I can finally run youtube videos on it as well as use an IM client if I should ever want to... and thats a big IF.

A big thanks goes out to a certain top-hatted feline named McMajik for helping me out in this department.
As a token of my appreciation allow me to offer you a prize of Pringles.

Go on, don't worry about being greedy. :D
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 08:37:04 pm »
CRIPES that is a lot of Pringles.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2009, 04:20:23 am »
O.O

I'm...so honoured! Thank you!

*is VERY humbled*

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:19 pm »
:o

*begs with a cute puppy-dog look*  Puweeze... can I have some, McMajik?
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline McMajik

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:01 pm »
>_>
<_<

*gives Alex a pribgle*

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:07 pm »
*gives Alex a pribgle*
Aww... but I wanted a Pringle... v.v

Offline McMajik

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:16 pm »
Well that's just tough, isn't it!

>_>

<_<

Aww, fine

*Gives a pringle*

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:50 pm »
*Gives a pringle*
Aww, thanks!  :)

*noms teh pringle*

Offline McMajik

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »
I just realised...look at that pic. Did Kalo just give me his stash!?

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:47 pm »
I just realised...look at that pic. Did Kalo just give me his stash!?

Silly, silly McMajik. Kalo would never be so rash. That's only like seven shelves right there. Kalo has an entire warehouse full.