furry arts discussion > furry storytelling

Idea: Fantasy futuristic magic furry zombie apocalypse. Sounds silly, might work

<< < (3/3)

Old Rabbit:
There are many good rules for writing stories.

One thing to remember when writing a story is write for
yourself. Usually if you try to please others the story and
writing of it will suffer. I think readers can tell when a writer
likes the story or not.

That's not to say we should ignore good writing habits, but
we put more heart and effort into stories we like.

When writing seriously, set goals. work out an outline of
the story, build simple biographies of your main characters.
This makes them more real to you and the reader.

You probably know all this already, but sometimes it helps
to be reminded of it.

Keep up the good work.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

Zugus: Bane of mailmen:

--- Quote from: DazWizzle on August 02, 2017, 04:04:06 am ---Sounds interesting, I like the idea for the story. What are you planning on doing with it? Is it something just for you or are you looking at publishing?

--- End quote ---

In this case, not sure yet. If I come to like it, ultimately I will attempt to publish. Otherwise, I just want to keep a record of some of the creative things which have just entered my mind. I need to clean up some details of the first wizard and the cult though. Something tells me the first wizard shouldn't necessarily be dead and I feel like there more is a character to make out of him. The cultists also need some personality too. In my mind, they are partly based on the Brotherhood of Nod from the Command and Conquer games, but less comic bookish and more sinister.

Another thing which gives some basis from those games would have to be the Tiberium, which The Brotherhood of Nod worships (It's a semicrystalline substance which is also quite potent and very toxic.) Mana is something which occurs naturally, but prior to the crystal empire, only Wizards and supernatural beasts had any use for it, with the rare wild creature being imbued with it.

--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on August 02, 2017, 11:40:17 am ---There are many good rules for writing stories.

One thing to remember when writing a story is write for
yourself. Usually if you try to please others the story and
writing of it will suffer. I think readers can tell when a writer
likes the story or not.

That's not to say we should ignore good writing habits, but
we put more heart and effort into stories we like.

When writing seriously, set goals. work out an outline of
the story, build simple biographies of your main characters.
This makes them more real to you and the reader.

You probably know all this already, but sometimes it helps
to be reminded of it.

Keep up the good work.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

--- End quote ---

I personally find I have a bit of attraction to dark things in general. Heroes are real nice, but its always the darker motivations people and characters could have which are more fascinating. It was always amazing to me the things people would do to justify horrible actions and this story follows that line of thought pretty closely. No one in this story is going to be any kind of saint.

The only thing I'd worry about is what to do with the universe. The more I think about this, the more I realize I could write just as much of a story going backwards from the start as forwards. I could either write what I've planned or I could go over the history of the crystal empire and its brutal conquests. To say the least, different anthro animals in this universe really did not get along at all. Cats, for instance, will have been made extinct since long before the apocalypse and Mice will have been marked for extermination prior to it. Think of it like Alien races from a lot of sci fi, but these are all in the same world.

Perhaps the wizard's spell doesn't have to be the beginning of the story? There is a lot of lore I could throw in based on what I've already thought of for this story.

As for what to call the wizards, seeing as a lot of the history of the crystal empire is written from "the victor's" perspective, I think the wizards of the crystal empire shall be known as "Divinators" (seeing as their powers and their engine were effectively of godlike proportion next to the ordinary people) while other wizards will be recorded as "Reapers", due to the socially engineered perception that they were unconditionally evil and that they did not have souls for their gall in defying the Crystal Empire (still need a real name for it). How they are named will depend on who is asked however and other labels may arise as needed. To say the least, anyone who was not of the empire would've vehemently hated Divinators.

As perception plays a huge role in this story, there will not be a universal name for the wizards.

I'll keep thinking and eventually get around to writing when I finalize where I want everything to go.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated  :)

Zugus: Bane of mailmen:
I think I'm going to let this brew for a bit. I can't really focus too well, so how this starts keeps changing in my head each time.

For now, this will probably sit around until I figure out what to do with it.

Old Rabbit:
Sounds like a good idea. It's always good to work out the story from the
beginning to the end before hand.

DazWizzle:

--- Quote from: Old Rabbit on August 12, 2017, 12:47:42 pm ---Sounds like a good idea. It's always good to work out the story from the
beginning to the end before hand.

--- End quote ---

Yes and a detailed Synopsis between 1500 and 3000 words will keep you on track. Gives you a solid reference point and helps you avoid the plot bunnies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version